PDA

View Full Version : Historical lessons for Iran situation?

aspiringconstitutionalist
10-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Can anyone think of any good historical precedents/lessons that would evidence that non-intervention is the best way of neutralizing a threat from a state doing something similar to what Iran is doing?

SFHSRonPaulFan
10-27-2007, 01:29 AM
You can remind anyone you're talking to about this that our own CIA established the government which directly led to what we're belaboring on today. Or one of my favorite things Dr. Paul has said at these debates: we won the Cold War against a country that had hundreds (or thousands, don't know exactly) of nuclear bombs without ever going to war while we're fretting day and night over a country with no real military and with no bomb for at least 10 years.

As for a precedent that non-interventionism works in the Middle East, I don't really know of one, though I hope someone does and I can learn something new. All I know is that intervention in the Middle East has been proven time and time again to be detrimental, and non-interventionism at least in Southeast Asia, South America, and Europe has proven to be successful

Corydoras
10-27-2007, 02:29 AM
North Korea dismantling its nuclear program after letting it have its little ego trip proving it could build a nuke.

10-28-2007, 04:40 AM
Hmm, NK is a good example, but are there any examples in the Middle East..?

plopolp
10-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Hmm, NK is a good example, but are there any examples in the Middle East..?
Israel
Pakistan

Look, the genie is out of the bottle. Israel, Pakistan, India, Russia and China are nations in or near the region which have nuclear weapons. The UK, occupying parts of Iraq also has nukes, as does of course the US with its huge and obviously eternal military presence in the region. It is only natural, and maybe even stabilizing, that also Iran and later Saudi too, develop nukes. The US developed nuclear weapons in a similar situation in which IRan is today, with threats from military great powers in both the east and the west.

The US should go for a missle defence instead of no-win no-end preemptive wars against some potential nuclear powers (while igoring others).

10-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Israel
Pakistan

???

How are Israel and Pakistan a good model for Iran? Neither have given up their nukes, and the fact that Pakistan was allowed to get nukes has created a ticking time bomb between her and India.

plopolp
10-28-2007, 01:38 PM
???

How are Israel and Pakistan a good model for Iran? Neither have given up their nukes, and the fact that Pakistan was allowed to get nukes has created a ticking time bomb between her and India.
They are examples of nuclear powers which have not been preemptively invaded by the US.

Iraq is actually the only example of a country where a nuclear program has been preemptively bombed, in 1981 by Israel.

Primbs
10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Pakistan and India are now stalemated so hopefully nobody will ever use the nukes.

North Korea may have already sold working nuclear bombs to Iran and we may not know about.

Just like North Korea got busted for building nuclear facilities in Syria.

1000-points-of-fright
10-28-2007, 10:10 PM
As for a precedent that non-interventionism works in the Middle East, I don't really know of one, though I hope someone does and I can learn something new.

That's an odd question. You don't really see obvious evidence of non-intervention working. You only see the negative results of intervention not working. If I leave you alone and don't meddle in your affairs, nobody (including me our you) ever notices that you're NOT trying to kill me.

10-29-2007, 07:10 AM
That's an odd question. You don't really see obvious evidence of non-intervention working. You only see the negative results of intervention not working. If I leave you alone and don't meddle in your affairs, nobody (including me our you) ever notices that you're NOT trying to kill me.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of examples where you're meddling in my affairs so I start trying to kill you, you switch to a non-interventionist policy and stop meddling in my affairs and I stop trying to kill you.

RickSp
10-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Given the deep and rich failure of interventionism in the region, non-interventionism is preferable by default. Can anyone cite a single example of where imperialism by a foreign power did anything but create chaos and larger problems in the Middle East?

filmmaker58
10-30-2007, 01:43 AM
I listened to Charlie Rose's interview with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (http://www.charlierose.com/home , then search for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the world section.) He explained Iran's point of view very well. Ron Paul would be able to negotiate with this man, and avoid a war and millions of deaths.

Oliver
10-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Can anyone think of any good historical precedents/lessons that would evidence that non-intervention is the best way of neutralizing a threat from a state doing something similar to what Iran is doing?

What threat is Iran representing? There is no threat coming
from them. They're exactly doing what their right is according
to the IAEA-Treaty. It's their international right to have nuclear
Powerplants. And there is no evidence that they are about to
make nuclear weapons.

The threat here are countries pulling the trigger whenever
they dislike something. Reminds me to Hitlers foreign policy,
to be honest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQTGzuggu8