PDA

View Full Version : So I got a front-row seat to listen to Sen. Sherrod Brown preach his neoconservative spiel

guitarlifter
05-07-2011, 12:56 PM
. . . at my very own graduation from college (I got a BS today, btw). It was sickening. I was in the front row at my university's stadium, and I was literally 20 feet from the guy if that. He started preaching about how much good we've done by rebuilding the middle class through social security, healthcare, etc. He said that he has brought affordable schooling to us. All I could think was that it is people like him that caused the school costs to rise astronomically in the first place. It is also people like him that made healthcare unaffordable in the first place as well. Get the government out of healthcare altogether, and watch prices drop ten fold. He went on to say that we are all working toward something "greater than ourselves" (part of the neoconservative mantra). My university's president was preaching the same thing---that we have been taught valiantly at our university so that we, too, can rebuild the middle class, and no doubt they were insinuating that it should be done through the government. I almost wanted to shout things at him, but, considering that they were still holding onto my diploma, I held back. :) Sorry, I just had to rant and get this out. FYI, I just graduated from Ashland University, and Ashland, OH, is nationally recognized as one of the most conservative cities in the US, and, when I say conservative, I mean neoconservative or socially conservative--not the kind that we are. Once I got my diploma, Sherrod Brown tried shaking my hand, and I did shake his hand, but I whispered to him, "I can't wait until you're out of the Senate." Couldn't think of anything better to say. haha Bleh. Anyhow, rant over.

mczerone
05-07-2011, 01:14 PM
. . . at my very own graduation from college (I got a BS today, btw). It was sickening. I was in the front row at my university's stadium, and I was literally 20 feet from the guy if that. He started preaching about how much good we've done by rebuilding the middle class through social security, healthcare, etc. He said that he has brought affordable schooling to us. All I could think was that it is people like him that caused the school costs to rise astronomically in the first place. It is also people like him that made healthcare unaffordable in the first place as well. Get the government out of healthcare altogether, and watch prices drop ten fold. He went on to say that we are all working toward something "greater than ourselves" (part of the neoconservative mantra). My university's president was preaching the same thing---that we have been taught valiantly at our university so that we, too, can rebuild the middle class, and no doubt they were insinuating that it should be done through the government. I almost wanted to shout things at him, but, considering that they were still holding onto my diploma, I held back. :) Sorry, I just had to rant and get this out. FYI, I just graduated from Ashland University, and Ashland, OH, is nationally recognized as one of the most conservative cities in the US, and, when I say conservative, I mean neoconservative or socially conservative--not the kind that we are. Once I got my diploma, Sherrod Brown tried shaking my hand, and I did shake his hand, but I whispered to him, "I can't wait until you're out of the Senate." Couldn't think of anything better to say. haha Bleh. Anyhow, rant over.

Congratulations on graduating. Now time to go be productive.

How tough would it have been to walk out of his speech?

And good job saying something to him at the end, but if you're even in such a situation again, try to say where you're coming from. For instance, a quick jab about how you appreciated his lies about how those programs help anyone but his own class.

Vessol
05-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Ugh that must have been painful. Grats on graduating man.

TheNcredibleEgg
05-07-2011, 01:19 PM
How long would a "Ron Paul R(evol)ution" sticker have lasted on his back - if you slyly put it there while shaking his hand?

lester1/2jr
05-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I think he would generally be classified as a progressive, not a neoconervative but he is a blowhard all the same and I would not want to listen to him say all that stuff.

emazur
05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
"i can't wait until you're out of the senate."
+rep 4 u

guitarlifter
05-07-2011, 10:42 PM
How long would a "Ron Paul R(evol)ution" sticker have lasted on his back - if you slyly put it there while shaking his hand?

Hopefully for the whole ceremony,and only if I had one on me haha. I mean, who would make a big enough fuss to stop him from shaking peoples' hands and draw attention to himself instead of the graduates? Anyhow, yeah, it was not fun listening to him. I've written him letters before, complaining on his policies and actions within the senate. Bleh, I just did not want to see him today. Oh well.

speciallyblend
05-07-2011, 10:53 PM
glad i wasn't there i would of took my grad cap and stood up and called BULLSHIT ON THEM!!!