PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Were you a Ron Paul supporter during the 2008 Campaign?

KramerDSP
05-07-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm curious what the makeup of the forum members is at this time, and this poll will help us get a sense of where we have come as a movement in terms of representation on this forum.

Sola_Fide
05-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Chuck Baldwin. And before that, Howard Phillips.

VBRonPaulFan
05-07-2011, 11:13 AM
i supported mccain in 2008 because i considered myself republican even though a lot of their issues didn't really sit right with me... i just knew i wasn't a democrat. i wasn't real politically active before 2008 because i was in college/just starting a career and didn't have much time to worry about it. after obama won i started reading more and when i found ron paul and where he stood on the issues, how he articulated his points, how consistent his message was, and how he was more concerned with rallying behind an idea instead of a party... i knew i found my fit.

Rothbardian Girl
05-07-2011, 11:13 AM
There doesn't appear to be a poll, but I would say I was a RP supporter in 2008, even before I fully understood the ins and outs of libertarianism, in a sense. I do know that I didn't really like Obama or McCain, and looked at RP with some interest, but I never realized he had such a devoted following. So RP was more like a "passing interest" for me. Now since I have done my research, I have concluded that supporting Paul is definitely worth it.

I did recognize that both parties were corrupt from an early point in my "political awakening" in a sense... I remember having many lively debates with my partisan dad about how evil both parties were, but I guess I had given up hope in anything actually changing.

nate895
05-07-2011, 11:26 AM
See my join date. I went back-and-forth between Paul and Huckabee until I realized Huckabee was a fan of taxes on just about everything.

mCsenget
05-07-2011, 11:29 AM
The first politician I ever cared about was Ron after seeing a video of his interview at Google. Circa July 2007

MelissaCato
05-07-2011, 11:30 AM
I was a Ron Paul supporter in 2008 who frequented the forums as a user

Nate-ForLiberty
05-07-2011, 11:32 AM
My original join date was November 5, 2007. Found out the moneybombs were being planned here, checked it out, and have been hooked ever since.

Matthew Zak
05-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I became a fan early on, after one or two debates in 2007. I had seen him on TV getting berated by the neocons, and as one at the time I thought "Wow, that old man is nuts."

Later, I watched the debates for no particular reason, and when Ron Paul said he didn't like secrecy in government my ears perked. From there it was a matter of research and watching youtube videos. :P

Theocrat
05-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I supported Congressman Paul since the first day he had formed an Exploratory Committee for the 2008 Presidential race. During the first part of 2007, I frequented the Daily Paul forums, and then a friend of mine recommended these forums to me. So, I've been a member here since October 2007.

Maximus
05-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Other: I supported Romney in the primary, but in the summer before the general I found Ron Paul, and wrote him on my ballot

Anti Federalist
05-07-2011, 11:40 AM
A "Seven-er"

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 11:40 AM
I started to be a supporter during the campaign. I donated to the 11/5 and 12/16 moneybombs just cause I despised McCain and thought Ron sounded better (I was worried about Huckabee and the Constitution). But I didn't really look into Ron carefully until nearly the primaries in my state (California) and when I did, it was pretty much over, except for chip ins for other states and high tide, etc. which I found out about reading/lurking at DP.

When Ron won CPAC in 2010 I decided he was going to run again, and found this forum (a thread here and there had come up in google searches before) and joined Daily Paul which I had tried to join in 2008 - but the sign up hadn't worked for me for some reason (It killed my username, though, which is why I am sailingaway1 there.) This time I want to help at the front end!

TheNcredibleEgg
05-07-2011, 11:44 AM
I was mostly apathetic in 2008.

Hated Democrats. Really hated GWB. So didn't care and didn't watch debates. I didn't know there was someone like Ron Paul out there.

But I did follow Peter Schiff for stock news - and he led me to Ron Paul.

So I am a new supporter.

liberalnurse
05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I lurked from maybe April 2007 until I joined. I was a "liberal democrat" until a friend convinced me to google Ron Paul. (Which was a 3 month battle.) Wow, what a weekend that was. I literally fundamentally changed in those 48 hours. It was a time of awakening and a time of mourning. I must say after taking the red pill and going down the rabbit hole it's been you guys who really keep me sane in all the insanity. :)

Brett85
05-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I voted for Ron in 2008, but I didn't join the forums until Rand's campaign for the Senate in 2010.

pcosmar
05-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm still here.

tasteless
05-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Didn't know who to vote for during the 2008 elections since I didn't want a third Bush term. Grew interested in Ron Paul but didn't like a lot of his supporters that read online. Started lurking here in 07, became set on Ron Paul in 08 and lurked on and off until '10 when I signed up to laugh at an Alex Jones video.

Dustancostine
05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
A "Seven-er"

+1

heavenlyboy34
05-07-2011, 12:22 PM
A "Seven-er"
ditto. (though, as you can see, I didn't make it here till '08)

TomtheTinker
05-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I first learned about and gained respect for r.p. during the 2008 primary..at first I rejected some of his beliefs I.e. foriegn policy so I couldn't vote for him(im hard headed ) but after research, debate, thought and soul searching I now not only support freedom I have an understanding of what it I is.

I learned of rpf during the schiff campaign. Pretty productive place for the ideals of liberty if you ask me..

fade
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Was here back in '07, got discouraged and didn't pay attention to any politics until I saw him getting back in the race. Now here I am again.

TheNcredibleEgg
05-07-2011, 12:38 PM
This poll is a negative - so far.

78% of Ron Paul support already existed in 2008. Only 22% is new support. Which equates to a 28% gain in support.

That's not going to get it done.

Take Iowa. Ron Paul got 10% of the vote. Factoring in his new supporters (based on this poll) only takes him to 13%. New Hampshire - 7.65% (actual) to 10%.

To win - Ron Paul needs to double or triple his support. Which would mean the #s for new support (in this poll) would need to be 50% - 67%.

Just sayin'.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-07-2011, 12:41 PM

78% of Ron Paul support already existed in 2008. Only 22% is new support. Which equates to a 28% gain in support.

Take Iowa. Ron Paul got 10% of the vote. Factoring in his new supporters (based on this poll) only takes him to 13%. New Hampshire - 7.65% (actual) to 10%.

To win - Ron Paul needs to double or triple his support. Which would mean the #s for new support (in this poll) would need to be 66% - 75%.

Just sayin'.

Not at all. This poll is for this particular website only. And as the poll indicates there are plenty of "lurkers". Think of the people that will see this poll but not vote because they lurk. The only thing this poll really indicates is that plenty of people have stuck around and not given up.

JamesButabi
05-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I only became active post Republican Primary. Thats about the time I was introduced to RP and began posting here.

TheNcredibleEgg
05-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Not at all. This poll is for this particular website only. And as the poll indicates there are plenty of "lurkers". Think of the people that will see this poll but not vote because they lurk. The only thing this poll really indicates is that plenty of people have stuck around and not given up.

I think you're spinning the numbers.

Let the numbers speak for themselves. A 28% gain in Ron Paul support (hardcore, solid support) from 2008 to today. A # the national polls seem to bear out as somewhat accurate. The #s are not there yet to get Ron Paul the nomination. It needs to be closer to 200% gain to get Ron Paul to the top of the Iowa and NH primaries next year.

There is still time though.

silentshout
05-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I am embarrassed to admit that I had no idea who Ron Paul was in 2008. :( worse, I voted for Obama. Lol. I was a democrat, though. I didn't really pay attention to the republican primaries, because I couldn't stand Bush, and I pretty much thought all Republicans were similar to Bush, McCain, etc.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I think you're spinning the numbers.

Let the numbers speak for themselves. A 28% gain in Ron Paul support (hardcore, solid support) from 2008 to today. The #s are not there yet to get Ron Paul the nomination. It needs to be closer to 200% gain to get Ron Paul to the top of the Iowa and NH primaries next year.

There is still time though.

I wasn't spinning anything. Just pointing out that a completely unscientific poll about the patronage of this one particular website does not reflect the entirety of Ron Paul's support.

rawful
05-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I didn't become a supporter until after McCain had already secured the nomination.

TheNcredibleEgg
05-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I wasn't spinning anything. Just pointing out that a completely unscientific poll about the patronage of this one particular website does not reflect the entirety of Ron Paul's support.

I dunno. I think - based on national polling that shows Ron Paul anywhere from 6-10% that the numbers in this unscientific poll seem somewhat accurate.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I dunno. I think - based on national polling that shows Ron Paul anywhere from 6-10% that the numbers in this unscientific poll seem somewhat accurate.

Then that is your unscientific opinion. Just as I have my own unscientific opinion. However, it is disingenuous to draw a conclusion that is beyond the scope of this poll and then say "let the numbers speak for themselves". That's like taking a vote on what the national income tax should be, but you only poll the people living in your house. . . nope.

Eric21ND
05-07-2011, 01:31 PM

To win - Ron Paul needs to double or triple his support. Which would mean the #s for new support (in this poll) would need to be 50% - 67%.

Just sayin'.
This poll is not indicative of anything. I know hardcore RP people that ran meetup in my area and they had no clue what this forum was or what was going on. They would ask me if I heard about the moneybomb, usually the day before it, and I'd laugh because the forums were the ones that came up with the dates and promotion. Everyone on this forum was usually 2-3 months ahead of everyone else.

s35wf
05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Ron is the ONLY politicean I have EVER donated to, campaigned for wholeheartedly in 08 and actually believe in.

I "lurked" around this forum fora couple months before "joining" in the conversations.

MelissaWV
05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Wow. People are already bitching about the results of a poll that started less than a few hours ago.

No kidding that the first people to see it are going to be the diehard supporters that are almost always on here or have it on in the background. Why would that be shocking? People who are just discovering the site, or who just lurk, or who generally are not as devoted to this site as a source of conversation... might just not have voted yet.

Seriously. Poll went up at 13:09 and it's 15:40.

zacharyrow
05-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I was a huge ron paul supporter last election. Just didn't know about this forum.

Eric21ND
05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Last time we were polling at 1% nationally for months, even though the internet was exploding. Most people are not internet political junkies and only catch their news in passing. They don't look that deeply into things. Whoever is in the media at that particular time gets filed away subjectively. When someone polls them about candidates, they picture those select few "media candidates" and choose from that. For right or wrong, being on tv gives a person a certainly level of legitimacy to the general public. Ron Paul has made tremendous inroads on this, he's a frequent guest on news programs now and had several best selling books, and now his son is the star of the Tea Party movement. He's polling at 10% now and hasn't even officially started his campaign yet, nor has the general public gotten into Presidential Election campaign mode yet. This is outstanding news!

Eric21ND
05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I was a huge ron paul supporter last election. Just didn't know about this forum.
More evidence I'm not on crack.

CanadaBoy
05-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I learned who Ron Paul was back in 07, and I am not even an American but I have been a supporter of him ever since.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-07-2011, 01:54 PM
More evidence I'm not on crack.

lol :D

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp359/wzuptr/TyroneBiggums.jpg
vote Ron Paul, bitches.

Ray
05-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately I was 17 and very apolitical at the time

Wesker1982
05-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I joined the Ron Paul bandwagon towards the end of the 2008 campaign, voted for him in MT. Didn't know about RPF, got all my Ron Paul news/info from 2+2 politics forum.

Joseph
05-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I became a Libertarian in January or February of 2007 and started looking up 2008 candidates in March when I found Dr. Paul and I was behind him all the way, trying to do what I could solo here in New Jersey. I knew there were a lot of others like me because I saw the results of the support he was getting from the debate text polls and the money bombs, but I did not learn about Ron Paul forums until 2009 when the "For Liberty: How the Ron Paul Revolution Watered the Withered Tree of Liberty" came out. I did not know about the November 5th money bomb until November 6th, but I learned about the December 16th money bomb and contributed to that. The first rally I went to was in 2009 in Valley Forge Pennsylvania. I joined the Forums right after the November 2010 Congressional election. I went to CPAC 2011, have contributed to both the Presidents day money bomb and the debate day money bomb and will continue to do all I can to support Ron Paul.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Yep, about 98 of them at this count. :)

I been here awhile, but have no idea how I got so many posts.

pcosmar
05-07-2011, 02:31 PM
There were some wild times when all this was new to us.
There have been a couple old voices stop back in. I'm still lookin' for a few more.

Curious what innovations we will bring to the game.
;)
Got some new blood coming in, some veterans.
Lots to do. There is a House of Cards that needs to be knocked down.
:cool:

South Park Fan
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I was a Ron supporter since Jan 2007 (although I couldn't vote in that election), joined the forums in 2007, but didn't actively post until 2009.

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Just sayin'.

There's also other forums, and this is at the beginning, instead of what he had at the end.

But the last poll like this had two thirds new since the campaign. So it just varies who does the poll. Go down to the bottom of the home page and see how many members have been here since yesterday, then look at the number who voted in the poll.

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 03:52 PM
969 members came on since yesterday and we have only 182 votes in the poll right now, so....

plus you have to register to vote.

altogether 9079 people have been on since yesterday, and a couple of days ago it was 11,000+ in one day.

Cdn_for_liberty
05-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Learned about Ron Paul by reading the comments to the Daniel Hannan grilling Gordon Brown video. I finally made the decision to learn more about Ron Paul after Peter Schiff mentioned his name.

TheNcredibleEgg
05-07-2011, 04:17 PM
There's also other forums, and this is at the beginning, instead of what he had at the end.

But the last poll like this had two thirds new since the campaign. So it just varies who does the poll. Go down to the bottom of the home page and see how many members have been here since yesterday, then look at the number who voted in the poll.

Well, I'm starting to regret even posting that in this thread - but I still think my point is valid. (Even though everyone disagrees with me.)

There is not enough "new" support since 2008. This poll shows it. You can say it's unscientific or whatever, and yes, there is a huge margin for error - but still I think this poll (even with margin of error) is more telling than many will care to admit.

Original 2008 support for Ron Paul is great and clearly necessary - but if the "new" support option does not reach 50%-67% come next January - then I don't think Ron Paul will come close to winning Iowa or NH.

MelissaWV
05-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Well, I'm starting to regret even posting that in this thread - but I still think my point is valid. (Even though everyone disagrees with me.)

There is not enough "new" support since 2008. This poll shows it. You can say it's unscientific or whatever, and yes, there is a huge margin for error - but still I think this poll (even with margin of error) is more telling than many will care to admit.

Original 2008 support for Ron Paul is great and clearly necessary - but if the "new" support option does not reach 50%-67% come next January - then I don't think Ron Paul will come close to winning Iowa or NH.

If anything, you've shown that Josh needs to promote his site better.

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I put down that I didn't know about the forums but was a supporter. But I wasn't INVOLVED to get more support, because I didn't find out about him until too late. Maybe we should do a new poll asking how many weren't active and will be-- because that brings in new support.

But forget this poll. At this time in 2007 I understand he was at about 1% or 2% in polls, and CNN just polled him at 10% nationally, and as the one candidate in the entire GOP with the best polling against the incumbant president. Plus he is actually getting some media. These are all things that didn't happen in 2007.

Maximus
05-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I disagree, I don't think the poll has good options. I didn't vote because the options did not apply to me. It is very clear from reading that responses that many people are new here, depending on how you define new. I'm also interested in hearing that the Schiff campaign turned some people on.

SethBass83
05-07-2011, 04:31 PM
I came here less than a month ago. I went from being completely apathetic to wanting to learn as much about Ron Paul, the Fed, Liberty, etc. as I possibly can. Like I said, all within a few weeks. Just finished reading The Revolution, now trying to decide which book I should pick up next. I voted McCain last time because I am white and I live in the south; I was trying to make sure I was fitting the stereotype. That's about as honest as I can be. I feel like I have suddenly woken up from a long hibernation. I know there are probably millions more that are like I was, just taking what I was being fed from TV. I'm upset that I've been ignorant for so long, but thankful that I finally see what's in front of my eyes.

Tinnuhana
05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I spent much of 2007 on other RP sites (Meet-Ups, C4L, Mises) since I wasn't quite sure how forums worked. I dropped by RPFs a few times to read and then joined in Sept 2008.
I enjoy the camaraderie/give-and-take here. I think the mods were wise to update the servers because there will be an increase in traffic "of Biblical proportions" once Ron announces.
We may need multiple chat rooms, though :p

emazur
05-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I put down choice one even though "frequented the boards" doesn't quite fit me. I was out of the country during Ron's campaign and not paying close attention to the entire election in general, but I knew of Ron Paul (though not in detail) and voted Badnarik and Harry Browne the prior two elections. My first post here was detailing how Obama was going to launch a war in Iran. Been wrong so far, but there's a year and a half left

Eric21ND
05-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Basically this forum and this poll, are a billion times removed from whats actually happening out in the real world, especially Iowa. That's my main point. If you wanted to do some real polling, hold several focus groups with likely GOP voters in Iowa right now.

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I came here less than a month ago. I went from being completely apathetic to wanting to learn as much about Ron Paul, the Fed, Liberty, etc. as I possibly can. Like I said, all within a few weeks. Just finished reading The Revolution, now trying to decide which book I should pick up next. I voted McCain last time because I am white and I live in the south; I was trying to make sure I was fitting the stereotype. That's about as honest as I can be. I feel like I have suddenly woken up from a long hibernation. I know there are probably millions more that are like I was, just taking what I was being fed from TV. I'm upset that I've been ignorant for so long, but thankful that I finally see what's in front of my eyes.

Read Liberty Defined next. It is an appetizer platter of sorts....

llepard
05-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Been here since May 2007. One of the old guys.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I came here less than a month ago.

And you just delurked. Congrats.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-07-2011, 04:46 PM

I think the correct term you're looking for, sir, is "badass".

pcosmar
05-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Nice to see you check in. +Rep (owe ya a couple)

Nate-ForLiberty
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
This thread is awesome!

Eric21ND
05-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Larry your presence is requested in the Iowa subforum, specifically the thread about setting up grassroots busing.

bb_dg
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
I first became intrigued with Ron Paul when he was on an episode with Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t. I just liked the way he articulated answers so I just started looking him up and I fell in love.

bkreigh
05-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Lurked for a couple months before i joined because i was on another RP forum. Then i just migrated over here.

Occam's Banana
05-07-2011, 07:02 PM
2008? Hell, I was a Ron Paul supporter when he ran in 1988! That was the first POTUS election I was eligible to vote in.

I voted for Harry Browne in '92, but afterwards became so fed up with both electoral politics & the LP that I haven't voted since.

After 9/11, I became so disgusted with the rampant warmongering, welfarism, & myriad other manifestations of anti-liberty bullshit that I tuned out completely. I deliberately ignored politics, stopped watching the news altogether, etc.

I was so far out of the loop that I didn't even know Ron Paul had run in 2008 until after it was over. I found out when someone at work mention Rand Paul's senate run in 2010. I went to the 'net to find out more & discovered what I had missed out on in 2007-2008. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
2008? Hell, I was a Ron Paul supporter when he ran in 1988! That was the first POTUS election I was eligible to vote in.

I voted for Harry Browne in '92, but afterwards became so fed up with both electoral politics & the LP that I haven't voted since.

After 9/11, I became so disgusted with the rampant warmongering, welfarism, & myriad other manifestations of anti-liberty bullshit that I tuned out completely. I deliberately ignored politics, stopped watching the news altogether, etc.

I was so far out of the loop that I didn't even know Ron Paul had run in 2008 until after it was over. I found out when someone at work mention Rand Paul's senate run in 2010. I went to the 'net to find out more & discovered what I had missed out on in 2007-2008. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Don't kick yourself. There is so much more ahead of us! Welcome back :)

DeadheadForPaul
05-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Found the forums back in 2007 and helped start a Students for Ron on my campus in 2007

If these forums had not been here, I don't know if I would have been dedicated to the campaign. Before joining this, my local meetup really sucked, and I wasn't sure how to get involved otherwise. Luckily I stumbled upon this site afterwards and put a good deal of time into Ron and Rand's campaigns

Occam's Banana
05-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Don't kick yourself. There is so much more ahead of us! Welcome back :)
Thanks! Ron Paul, his message & the inroads they've gained make it worthwhile to jump back into the circus.
And with Rand Paul, Justin Amash, Glen Bradley & others. the future doesn't look quite so hopeless after all.

BamaAla
05-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Okay, I've got something to admit: I supported Mittens in the primaries. There...I said it.

My girlfriend, a huge Ron Paul supporter along with her family, and I began dating just after the primaries. She and her father went to work on me and I converted before the general. I began lurking around here in early fall '08 and finally joined late last year.

RP4Pres2008
05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Okay, I've got something to admit: I supported Mittens in the primaries. There...I said it.

My girlfriend, a huge Ron Paul supporter along with her family, and I began dating just after the primaries. She and her father went to work on me and I converted before the general. I began lurking around here in early fall '08 and finally joined late last year.

So awesome to hear stories like these! Welcome!

givemeliberty
05-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I found out about Ron Paul through Lew Rockwell's site back in 2007, found this forum just after that. Never turned back as Dr. Paul's message and the Austrian School fit my thinking exactly. Didn't post a lot as I am busy raising triplets but lurked a good bit. Never really stopped coming around, just changed my main lurk to Politics from Grassroots.

05-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Saw the dabate at the Reagan Library in 2007 and started spreading the word- instantly new who I was supporting. Donated to all the moneybombs in 07.

lynnf
05-07-2011, 09:00 PM
still here.

heavenlyboy34
05-07-2011, 09:01 PM
So awesome to hear stories like these! Welcome!
Indeed! The RP cult is growing! He's catching on, I tell ya! ;) lulz

ShowMeLiberty
05-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Last time we were polling at 1% nationally for months, even though the internet was exploding. Most people are not internet political junkies and only catch their news in passing. They don't look that deeply into things. Whoever is in the media at that particular time gets filed away subjectively. When someone polls them about candidates, they picture those select few "media candidates" and choose from that. For right or wrong, being on tv gives a person a certainly level of legitimacy to the general public. Ron Paul has made tremendous inroads on this, he's a frequent guest on news programs now and had several best selling books, and now his son is the star of the Tea Party movement. He's polling at 10% now and hasn't even officially started his campaign yet, nor has the general public gotten into Presidential Election campaign mode yet. This is outstanding news!

^This.

969 members came on since yesterday and we have only 182 votes in the poll right now, so....

plus you have to register to vote.

altogether 9079 people have been on since yesterday, and a couple of days ago it was 11,000+ in one day.

That's awesome for so early in the election process!

It's not that you're wrong exaclty, it's just that (I think) we learned the hard way in '08 that internet support does not equal votes IRL. In the 2008 election, Ron Paul OWNED the internet, and he will again this time. But we can't let up OFFline because that's where elections are won... or lost.

Anyway - I've been here since hearing about Ron Paul on a forum where a lot of the members are libertarian. Dr. Paul was exactly what I was looking for in a politician but never thought I'd ever find.

speciallyblend
05-07-2011, 09:11 PM

your wife and father are smart folks:) mittens? i have to go take a shower now:) when you coming out to visit colorado? let me know i work at hotel;)

RPIdeaMan08
05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
RON after first debate and also lurked ALOT

Carehn
05-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Been on this site for a long time now i guess. Sometimes i use it a lot then maybe months will go by without me seeing whats up. Found Ron through a slim jim posted on a cork board in the wall out side of Bruce willise's bar 'the mint' in Hailey Idaho. Lived up there at the time and was never going to vote again. I was told republicans wanted small government and knowing little of government at the time simply thought this to be a good idea. Found the republicans to be no good and was never going to vote again. Damn slim jim cursed the hell out of me.

Dave Aiello
05-08-2011, 12:15 AM
note: These percentages are nowhere near where they need to be for us to win. 50 / 300 are new supporters. That's a 12% increase from '08. We have a lot more people to awaken. I hope Ron isn't reaching maximum capacity.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-08-2011, 12:21 AM
read the thread b4 you post

Dave Aiello
05-08-2011, 12:27 AM

I'm not quite sure that's official forum etiquette. I took the poll, and shared my thoughts.

evilfunnystuff
05-08-2011, 12:45 AM
lurked alot in '07 should have joined sooner

KurtBoyer25L
05-08-2011, 12:46 AM

The consensus of the campaign so far is that "new" people don't count unless they are already Republicans, because nobody else would ever register to vote, in even an open primary. I couldn't disagree more and as an independent myself, with over a dozen friends who are independent (and voting for Ron in 2012) I find it insane that ourselves & like-minded people around the country can't impact the vote.

Not that many people vote in primaries, compared to generals. The numbers in Iowa are not that daunting. If we can convince a small slice, maybe 10%, of all independents, dems, third-partiers, libs, libertarians & anarchists to take three hours of one day & register/vote for Ron it will make a tremendous difference. Possibly THE difference.

Getting (formerly) apolitical types to wake up & support Ron fervently is our strength. And it's so much easier than converting mainstream Republicans!

SkarnkaiLW
05-08-2011, 01:36 AM
I am not sure when exactly I started following Ron Paul, to be honest. I was busy in the navy for most of Bushes 2nd term, and only started following the 2008 Election late in the cycle. It was probably during mid 2008 with the rise of the tea parties, and was probably refered by a Paulite on Hannity's forum or by GB, to be completely honest. Just lurked until today (2nd post thur far)

Nate-ForLiberty
05-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Welcome!! :)

SkarnkaiLW
05-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Thanks! Just spent the last two years trying to catch up really. Sadly I live in GA and I think our primary is too late in the season to help Paul much, and I am a relatively poor college student now. I will do what I can though, slowly trying to work on my family first ;)

oriolesfan
05-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Coming from a fellow poor college student (although soon-to-be graduate in a couple weeks!): Keep on fighting the good fight! It sounds like you've got your head on straight and understand the priorities in your life. Just don't give up on the cause and remember that all of us can make a difference. Every dollar donated, or phone call dialed, or email sent will contribute to the promotion of liberty.

Austin
05-08-2011, 02:04 AM
The final question should read: "I began supporting Ron Paul after McCain secured the Republican Nomination"

oriolesfan
05-08-2011, 02:05 AM
And don't forget to vote in that primary no matter what!

Dave Aiello
05-08-2011, 04:07 AM
The final question should read: "I began supporting Ron Paul after McCain secured the Republican Nomination"

This. I fall into this category, but not "after Obama was elected" category. I was in between, as I think many were. I didn't vote for him in the primary, was a supporter shortly afterwards.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-08-2011, 07:26 AM

I'm not quite sure that's official forum etiquette. I took the poll, and shared my thoughts.

I guess you don't have to, but sometimes that can cause you to repeat or revive a subject that already got beat to death. :) And you probably either read it all by now or will be shortly anyway. lol

AlexMerced
05-08-2011, 07:44 AM
I became a Ron Paul supporter in may 2007... to be cliche, it was the giuliani moment that got me interested to learn more about Ron Paul back when I was a liberal progressive and now I'm a market anarchist... funny how things work.

KramerDSP
05-08-2011, 07:45 AM
If anything, at least a few lurkers de-lurked and are now posting here because of this thread. :D

PaulConventionWV
05-08-2011, 08:44 AM
I found out about Ron Paul as I was a newly of-age voter in July 2007. I found him on Google, as I was trying to look for candidates to vote for. I knew the political situation in America was bleak, but I never really understood all of the things Ron was talking about (partly because I had never heard of Ron before then). I immediately got on board, intuitively sensing that he was the ONLY good candidate. I joined a meetup during the school year and they convinced me to go to the WV state Republican Convention as a Paul delegate. It was a great experience. I found out about the forums for about a month after finding out about RP and lurked until April of this year, when I finally decided to join, as I was very excited about RPs chances this time around. That's why I think we need to keep the internet campaign going as well (and I'm sure we will). There are many new voters who just turned voting age looking for someone to vote for online and they are one of our prime voting blocs.

sailingaway
05-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I found out about Ron Paul as I was a newly of-age voter in July 2007. I found him on Google, as I was trying to look for candidates to vote for. I knew the political situation in America was bleak, but I never really understood all of the things Ron was talking about (partly because I had never heard of Ron before then). I immediately got on board, intuitively sensing that he was the ONLY good candidate. I joined a meetup during the school year and they convinced me to go to the WV state Republican Convention as a Paul delegate. It was a great experience. I found out about the forums for about a month after finding out about RP and lurked until April of this year, when I finally decided to join, as I was very excited about RPs chances this time around. That's why I think we need to keep the internet campaign going as well (and I'm sure we will). There are many new voters who just turned voting age looking for someone to vote for online and they are one of our prime voting blocs.

There are also a lot of people looking into him because of the economic issues he predicted that came to pass after the primary was sealed, and he was the only one talking about in the Presidential debates. Then he was adamantly against the immoral transfer of wealth from main street to wall street in the form of the bailouts, and was willing to discuss the issue in just those terms. That is why Fox is trying to marginalize him by making him a 'free drugs' candidate which isn't his focus. Fortunately, most know that economics is his focus and economics is the big issue of this campaign.

We just have to keep knocking down the mannequins the establishment keeps pretending there is enthusiasm behind. The difficult part of this is that the establishment has a vast supply.

Aratus
05-08-2011, 11:12 AM
right after supertuesday i arrived...