PDA

View Full Version : Should we just make the moneybombs every debate?

MRoCkEd
05-07-2011, 08:06 AM
The debate day seemed to be a good theme for fundraising.

What do you think of keeping the moneybombs consistent and having one for each debate?

The next one is June 13th.

Sola_Fide
05-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I think you may be on to something here.

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't think they will get as big that way, but it was reported nicely in conjunction with the debates, wasn't it?

TheDriver
05-07-2011, 08:17 AM
I wish more people would have paid attention to Sharron Angle's fund drives. She basically used moneybombs but didn't limit them to one day. But, that being said, a million dollars was great!

JVParkour
05-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Yes. I like this. People will know, be able to plan, and catch on to the theme.

Chester Copperpot
05-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Even my neoconned friend who spoke so highly about how Herman Cain kicked Ron Pauls ass had to say: "Well.. wow.. pretty impressive that he raised a million dollars during the debate."

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Even my neoconned friend who spoke so highly about how Herman Cain kicked Ron Pauls ass had to say: "Well.. wow.. pretty impressive that he raised a million dollars during the debate."

Does your neoconned friend know Cain was pro-TARP and an ex Federal Reserve branch chair?

-
my concern about making them every debate is only that that might make them too routine, and people might skip them. Not knowing when the next one is might help people decide to do it 'now'. But I'm not sure. We could try it a couple debates and then go from there....

nayjevin
05-07-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm for this. And http://www.debateday.com did a great job. Plus doing it this way, so much of the effort rolls over - debateday can send out emails, the website traffic only builds, and people will catch on to the theme.

Sola_Fide
05-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Does your neoconned friend know Cain was pro-TARP and an ex Federal Reserve branch chair?

...and supports perpetual war and nation-building...

Chester Copperpot
05-07-2011, 08:37 AM

he knew he was an ex fed chair.. but not the tarp bailout.. Even I didnt know about the TARP bailout until today..

But he is one of those guys who responds to a tough sounding candidate..

He said "Herman Cain crushed everybody.. everybody else looked weak and frail."

So he doesnt know what the hell he likes.. Hes kinda like those people who like Mitt Romney because of his hair.. Oh btw, Mitt Romney is his guy too because he's the supposed front runner.

Last election Ive had several GOP acquaintenances change their pick from Rudy, to ROmney, to Mccain.. all of course however it seemed each was in the top tier or lead.. I always wanted Ron Paul..

I dont pick politicians like baseball tEAMS

PaulConventionWV
05-07-2011, 08:41 AM

-
my concern about making them every debate is only that that might make them too routine, and people might skip them. Not knowing when the next one is might help people decide to do it 'now'. But I'm not sure. We could try it a couple debates and then go from there....

I had this concern as well. The debate day theme is kind of a boring one, and I didn't really see the raise in funds that I expected during the debate. I think the Nov. 5th and Dec. 16th moneybombs in 2007 were great because they were special, and they had a special theme. We shouldn't try to stack up the moneybombs too much. I think one in early July would be great, then perhaps one in late August or early September, then Nov. 5 and Dec. 16 again like 2007 would be a very good line-up. I think people are getting a little too antsy about "moneybombs." We need to space them appropriately so that they're still for a special cause and people have enough time to think/plan/save for it.

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I had this concern as well. The debate day theme is kind of a boring one, and I didn't really see the raise in funds that I expected during the debate. I think the Nov. 5th and Dec. 16th moneybombs in 2007 were great because they were special, and they had a special theme. We shouldn't try to stack up the moneybombs too much. I think one in early July would be great, then perhaps one in late August or early September, then Nov. 5 and Dec. 16 again like 2007 would be a very good line-up. I think people are getting a little too antsy about "moneybombs." We need to space them appropriately so that they're still for a special cause and people have enough time to think/plan/save for it.

I think there should be one every reporting quarter and another 'if needed'. Sometimes something happens... if Ron gets dissed he might need extra money to respond with ads and need to know the money will be there to continue if he spends it.

I saw the NY Times or some place say that given his fundraising he will probably be in this 'through the summer', and was ticked off. Summer? Huh.

pacelli
05-07-2011, 09:17 AM
I thought we all discussed this and worked it out while waiting for ron paul to declare for the past 2 years. Specifically sailingaway mentioned where we got the discussion-- he's getting one per quarter. If there are spontaneous donation events, so be it. But as far as planned moneybombs, one per quarter.

Also debate day moneybombs do nothing for press coverage. They're great for morale, great for ron or his ghostwriter to send out another email to people already on the list or website, but the media creates the buzz candidate, not donations.

If we're starting our progress as a grassroots all over again, instead of learning from 07-08, we'll have exactly the same results.

Eric21ND
05-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Money bombs need a central theme to be successful.

July 4th

Nov 5th or 11th

Dec 16th

Maybe a Ames Straw Poll money bomb August 10th or whenever it is...I think there's a debate scheduled the eve of it.

I do like the Debate Day bombs, but let's keep those realistic....500k to 1 million ballpark.

FriedChicken
05-07-2011, 10:53 AM
The main reason I'd support money bombs being on every debate day is because of the ground we've already covered with the debateday.com and all the email addresses in that database.

That database of donors needs to be preserved. We also need to keep track of all the facebook people, etc. Lets not lose ground between now and the next money bomb and keep ALL of our momentum.

FriedChicken
05-07-2011, 10:54 AM
(I'm not saying to keep the money bombs on debate days.)
(I'm not saying not to.)

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 10:57 AM
The main reason I'd support money bombs being on every debate day is because of the ground we've already covered with the debateday.com and all the email addresses in that database.

That database of donors needs to be preserved. We also need to keep track of all the facebook people, etc. Lets not lose ground between now and the next money bomb and keep ALL of our momentum.

Can't we just change the name of the database/facebook as appropriate? Does it have to be canceled rather than 'rebranded'?

thedude
05-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think they will get as big that way, but it was reported nicely in conjunction with the debates, wasn't it?

I agree they wont be big massive blowout donation days like 5 or 6 million... BUT we could potentially raise more over time. The big donation days pulled in 11+ Million in the fourth quarter of '07... What if we did that EARLIER in the campaign cycle and repeated it each quarter thereafter with smaller moneybombs? I am convinced as the ball really gets rolling we'll have more than 1 Million in day, just as long as newer donors are brought on board to max out. I, personally, still have a long way to go before I do (about 15 more MBs at the same $150).

I'm on board with this idea.

The dude abides.

Austin
05-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I think more and more people will come to the movement for the first time or come back on board because of the debates. As a result, I think the moneybombs would best be held a week or two after each debate.

R3volutionJedi
05-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes. Money Bomb every debate sounds like a good idea. $Half Mil. - $1 mil. goal for every debate. Then near the primaries, we can shoot for a $7 Mil. Goal.

FriedChicken
05-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I think after the debates might actually draw more donors and if we act quickly it'll give of more footage of Ron Paul to promote the bombs.

Why don't we set goals of money to raise by certain dates? and have, say, 3 money bombs leading to those dates?
That way we can hit the big numbers while giving Paul's campaign a nice steady cash flow while keeping people pumped up.

The Dark Knight
05-07-2011, 12:30 PM
hmm I really like this idea actually. We should wait until July 4th to do our next Money bomb but after that we should have them with the debates.

thehighwaymanq
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
I would throw $25 to it.

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Yes. Money Bomb every debate sounds like a good idea. $Half Mil. - $1 mil. goal for every debate. Then near the primaries, we can shoot for a $7 Mil. Goal.

If we do it that way, two categories of money bombs, I really think we have to shoot for the big ones early so Ron has the money to spend before we are in zone for the primaries. Last time he got it too late. I think we should start thinking of a big one one now and it should be near the end of August when people really start focusing on campaigns so he has the money to spin out in ads and organization etc. It should be maybe right before the end of that reporting cycle. August 30 or whatever. We'd have to do well in the Iowa straw poll, and could build on that for the money bomb. But last time the following quarter was too late.

And we'd need a 'maintenance' money bomb(s) around a debate, in late June or July.

eok321
05-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Good Idea. Better than dumping 5 million on the campaign 2 weeks before the 1st caucus/primary.

Easier to build momentum as well, we'd just have to beat the previous debate's total to deem it a success.

Lets face it. 6million aint gonna be beaten with the state of the economy.

iGGz
05-07-2011, 03:01 PM
The debate day seemed to be a good theme for fundraising.

What do you think of keeping the moneybombs consistent and having one for each debate?

The next one is June 13th.

I think that is a good idea

sailingaway
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Good Idea. Better than dumping 5 million on the campaign 2 weeks before the 1st caucus/primary.

Easier to build momentum as well, we'd just have to beat the previous debate's total to deem it a success.

Lets face it. 6million aint gonna be beaten with the state of the economy.

Unless we use the earlier ones to snowball his support. Campaign for Liberty has 600,000 members. Assuming 100,000 are there for the info, not as a full supporter, if every one of them gave 10 we'd have $5 million. Not everyone will. But if we snowball his support the number each has to give, and the participation percentage goes down. That is why I said use the Iowa straw poll. We could even have grass roots organizing lists there to get emails and email them all about the money bomb. In fact we should make grass root email collection a feature of every event we have but NOT PUSHY because people don't want spam and are leery of it. But a sign up sheet we tell people where it is, no pressure, might be a good feature.

Paul4Prez
05-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Then near the primaries, we can shoot for a $7 Mil. Goal.

We need the first big money bomb this summer, long before the primaries. The big money bombs came too late last time.

My suggestion was July 21st, the anniversary of the moon landing, and call it Shoot the Moon, and go for the record.

KCIndy
05-07-2011, 05:53 PM

^^this^^

We need the first big money bomb this summer, long before the primaries. The big money bombs came too late last time.

^^and this^^

Let's face it. If Ron Paul is going to win in '12, it is absolutely critical that the campaign gets a lot of cash very early, right out of the gate. TV ads, polls and campaign materials can't be bought on promises alone. It's that simple.

I really like the idea of attaching the money bombs to the debates. It should mean more money for the campaign at an early stage, and more name recognition in the media. If Dr. Paul can raise a million with each debate, it will reflect well in the press and will tie people to the idea that every time RP speaks the truth, he's being supported with cash.

I know a million per debate is a pretty heavy goal, but hey, if we CAN'T do that, then we had better pack it in early. Assuming Dr. Paul wins the Republican nomination, we know he's going to be going up against Barack Obama and a possible billion dollars raised by Obama's Democratic supporters.

It's going to be a cash heavy game, and we're going to have to dig deep and contribute a lot very early on. Hell, if hyperinflation kicks in the cash won't be worth anything anyway - may as well give it to the good doctor!! :)

libertybrewcity
05-07-2011, 06:23 PM
no that's boring!

Matt Collins
05-08-2011, 12:46 AM
There is an organic debate bump anyway. We should aim for the time where there isn't much going on and make THAT a money bomb day, or maybe a mini-bomb day.

ronpaulitician
05-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Probably best to do it the day BEFORE the debate, so that on the day OFF the debate the pundits will have something to talk about.