PDA

View Full Version : Election Question(s)

maxmerkel
10-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I really don't understand your nomination system:

why does a state secretary decide when a election for a party nomination takes place ? (this should be the issue of the party ?????)

why can the leadership of a party decide what the vote of each state is worth ??
(after states set their dates ???? in any sane persons mind the normal way would be to set rules BEFORE the states(party) decide when they will vote ????)

why do the democrats and the republicans have to vote on the same day in a state ?? why cant the republicans of south carolina vote in january for their favorite pres. cand. and the democrats in july ?

this list goes on and on, but you can cook it down to "why are there any federal/state laws regulating primaries ???" all this stuff should be left to those people who want to nominate anybody for whatever in any fucking way ??

please help me :D

foofighter20x
10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
because the law of the state (i'm assuming you are talking about new hampshire) allows that person to set the date.

Bradley in DC
10-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I really don't understand your nomination system:

why does a state secretary decide when a election for a party nomination takes place ? (this should be the issue of the party ?????)
Each state here decides for itself--we have a federal system like yours only our "lander" have more independence. In South Carolina, the Republican Party runs it own election, not the government. The state parties or legislatures (usually working together) decide their own system and dates. In only a few states do they give the state secretary of state have that power (NH).

why can the leadership of a party decide what the vote of each state is worth ??
(after states set their dates ???? in any sane persons mind the normal way would be to set rules BEFORE the states(party) decide when they will vote ????)
The rules (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4) ARE set BEFORE the states decide--they were decided at the last convention in 2004--well, for the Republicans (Democrats here don't make any sense to anyone).

why do the democrats and the republicans have to vote on the same day in a state ?? why cant the republicans of south carolina vote in january for their favorite pres. cand. and the democrats in july ?
They can hold elections on different days, but most do not since it would be twice the expense, more confusing--and what would be the point?

this list goes on and on, but you can cook it down to "why are there any federal/state laws regulating primaries ???" all this stuff should be left to those people who want to nominate anybody for whatever in any fucking way ??

please help me :D

Hi Max, in some ways we're not so different from yours. I hope these answers help.

One big difference is that we don't vote twice (once for party and once for person).