PDA

View Full Version : Why does anyone like that Social Con hack Demint?!? Really..... Why?

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Dude just goes off the wall on social issues then in 2008 backed Romneycare and Mitt Romney. This dude is a hack and SC would be well served to get rid of him and Lindsey:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ordu_sen-jim-demint-on-gov-romney_news#from=embed&start=72

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
This is the reason I like him:

Campaign For Liberty Praises Jim DeMint For Audit The Fed Cosponsorship
http://www.ronpaul.com/2009-06-23/senator-jim-demint-co-sponsors-audit-the-fed-bill/

“By supporting S. 604, Senator DeMint is standing up for both South Carolina and the American People. The Campaign for Liberty applauds Senator Jim DeMint for strong leadership in the fight to restore our Liberty.”

The guy is our ally against the Fed. Can't deny that.

TheeJoeGlass
SC is one of the biggest "problem" states in the union. Demint is terrible.

AuH20
I love DeMint. He could have gone right along with McConnell and played it easy, but he's started an insurrection in the Senate and the Conngress by throwing his weight to to called "undesirable" candidates like Rand, Mike Lee and others. I could care less about social issues. Demint gets my support because he openly wages war against Neocon/RINO establishment and that he's an opponent of the Fed.

nate895
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I love DeMint. He could have gone right along with McConnell and played it easy, but he's started an insurrection in the Senate and the Conngress by throwing his weight to undesirable candidates. I could care less about social issues. Demint gets my support because he openly wages war against Neos and that he's an opponent of the Fed.

But, how dare he deviate from libertarian orthodoxy!

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
He's much more consistently fiscally conservative than others, but he has typical 'club for growth' holes in his policy. He is what he is, and what you see is what you get. Not all of it is for me, but I can respect that he isn't a flip flopper nor squishy.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Um, supports Romney and Romneycare. That's what you call fiscal conservative? WOW! Am I in the right place. Is this RedState?

Matt Collins
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
He voted to renew the Patriot Act lately.

fuzzybekool
05-06-2011, 12:14 PM
No one is perfect. We need allies, and DeMint is with us on many important issues.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Um, supports Romney and Romneycare. That's what you call fiscal conservative? WOW! Am I in the right place. Is this RedState?

Bama, you support Gary Johnson and you want to take shots at DeMint? Really? The same ultra-libertarian Gary Johnson who's somehow okay with the Fed? It does not compute.

nate895
05-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Does he support Romney this cycle? He's changed a lot since '07. I think the bailouts were the last straw for him as far as being a mainstream Republican.

BuddyRey
05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
He's just one of the slightly less-insane patients in the sanitarium, that's all. Some people can't help but miss the forest for the trees and think DeMint is great just because of the batcrap crazy pack of leg-humping mouth-foamers he shares the Senate Chamber/Rogue's Gallery with. But all in all, he's just another brick in the wall.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Bama, you support Gary Johnson and you want to take shots at DeMint? Really? The same Gary Johnson who's okay with the Fed?

One, I like Gary. Two, I'm voting for Ron. Three, Gary is for ending the Fed (so stop lying). Four, he's for the Patriot Act, Romney Care, Against single women being teachers as well as Gay people ..... I can keep going.

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Demint is terrible.

LoL.

No, John McCain, Harry Reid, and Joe Lieberman are terrible. Not DeMint.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:17 PM
No one is perfect. We need allies, and DeMint is with us on many important issues.

Is the Patriot Act an important issue?

AuH20
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
LoL.

No, he doesn't believe in legalizing heroin. He's a neocon.

TheeJoeGlass
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
LoL.

McCain, Reid and Lieberman are evil, Demint is just terrible.

TheeJoeGlass
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM

No, he believes in the patriot act, which makes him very close to a neocon.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Wow. So, supporting Gitmo, Waterboarding, Patriot Act, RomneyCare, ending single women and gays being allowed to teach are all fine with you?

TheeJoeGlass
05-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Is the Patriot Act an important issue?

Guess not.

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry, but DeMint is Ron Paul's ally. DeMint broke away from all the establishment Republicans and went on a media campaign for Ron Paul and Audit-The-Fed during the bailout mess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM7ZuvxswMQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

erowe1
05-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Social conservatives are probably the best segment of the GOP that isn't already behind RP for us to reach out to.

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 12:27 PM
McCain, Reid and Lieberman are evil, Demint is just terrible.

Well, I can see where you're coming from.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry, but DeMint is Ron Paul's ally. DeMint broke away from all the establishment Republicans and went on a media campaign for Ron Paul and Audit-The-Fed during the bailout mess:

He was right on one issue?

nate895
05-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Wow. So, supporting Gitmo, Waterboarding, Patriot Act, RomneyCare, ending single women and gays being allowed to teach are all fine with you?

When has he ever suggested banning single women teachers?

AuH20
05-06-2011, 12:29 PM

Gimme a break. This is the same circular logic I get from the Freepers stating why Ron Paul is incompatible with their "sacred" philosophy. Let's go through his positions:

GITMO: Close down GITMO and where do you send them? Guantanamo Bay should have never been created but there is an security risk, if you cannot adequately process them with civilian trials. This is similar to the situation when Huckabee hastily released that criminal that went on to kill 4 officers in Washington.

Waterboarding: I agree with Pawlenty. Extreme circumstances dictated by an executive order. It should not be general policy however. Waterboarding for some inexplicable reason has been incorporated into the CIA's regular interrogation protocol. That's completely unacceptable.

Patriot Act: Indefensible, considering the illegal search and seizures. I agree with you. DeMint is still under the allure of national security concerns.

Single women should focus more of family initiatives: Don't really care either way

Gays: not losing sleep about gay marriage

TheeJoeGlass
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM

I give Demint credit for this stance, but its just one issue. Thats why I call him terrible, not evil.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM

He supported Romney who was supposed to be the 'more conservative one who could win'. Next to McCain, he was. Not next to Ron, and he should have endorsed Ron but he was new and maybe didn't know him well. :p I said he wasn't all for me, I am just answering your question of what good there IS there.

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
He was right on one issue?

To me and many others, the federal reserve is our primary issue right now. The fiscal crisis takes precedence over social issues right now in my opinion.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Gimme a break. This is the same circular logic I get from the Freepers stating why Ron Paul is incompatible with their "sacred" philosophy. Let's go through his positions:

GITMO: Close down GITMO and where do you send them? Guantanamo Bay should have never been created but there is an security risk, if you cannot adequately process them with civilian trials. This is similar to the situation when Huckabee hastily released that criminal that went on to kill 4 officers in Washington.

Waterboarding: I agree with Pawlenty. Extreme circumstances dictated by an executive order. It should not be general policy however.

Patriot Act: Indefensible, considering the illegal search and seizures. I agree with you. DeMint is still under the allure of national security concerns.

Single women should focus more of family initiatives: Don't really care either way

Gays: not losing sleep about gay marriage

You should change your moniker. You sir are giving Sen. Goldwater a bad name.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:33 PM
To me and many others, the federal reserve is our primary issue right now. The fiscal crisis takes precedence over social issues right now in my opinion.

Patriot Act is a Social Issue? Nationalized Health Care is a Social Issue?

nate895
05-06-2011, 12:34 PM

DeMint supports nationalized health care! You're off your rocker.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
DeMint supports nationalized health care! You're off your rocker.

Watch that video. He even says we should do the same thing as Romneycare on a National level. 1:00 mark.

nate895
05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Watch that video. He even says we should do the same thing as Romneycare on a National level.

Does he agree with that now? I bet not. Like I said, DeMint pre-bailouts is a lot different the DeMint post-bailout.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Does he agree with that now? I bet not. Like I said, DeMint pre-bailouts is a lot different the DeMint post-bailout.

So he's fickle or not principled? We are talking 3 years here, not 5 or 10.

AuH20

Really? you think Goldwater would immediately shut down G Bay without conceiving a plan to process them through a court of law. I guess the responsible course of action would be to just throw them on the streets. I'm sure they don't harbor any ill will in their hearts for being held without trial for 6 or 7 years. And the minute something bad would happen, they would immediately come looking for you for releasing the one individual who went postal.

TheeJoeGlass

I agree with this. While it is just one issue, its good to be on the right side of that issue, and I give Demint credit for that.

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM

There is no way that one of the founders of the Senate Tea Party caucus supports nationalized health care, but I am open to investigating that if you have current links.

The Patriot Act vote was bad, everybody admits that. Still, on balance, DeMint is good.

nate895
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
So he's fickle or not principled?

So changing your mind because you realized you were wrong makes you "fickle"?

What is this world coming to?

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Really? you think Goldwater would immediately shut down G Bay without conceiving a plan to process them through a court of law. I guess the responsible course of action would be to just throw them on the streets. I'm sure they don't harbor any ill will in their hearts for being held without trial for 6 or 7 years. And the minute something bad would happen, they would come looking for you for releasing the one individual who went postal.

No, I'm referring to you saying he'd be cool with barring Teachers that are gay or single women or allowing illegal searches and seizures etc. Goldwater was far from a social con and he did care about those issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WZlWhQbns

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
So changing your mind because you realized you were wrong makes you "fickle"?

What is this world coming to?

There is no way that one of the founders of the Senate Tea Party caucus supports nationalized health care, but I am open to investigating that if you have current links.

The Patriot Act vote was bad, everybody admits that. Still, on balance, DeMint is good.

The man in less than four years went from being for National health care if implemented by the GOP to against it if done by DEMS. That's called Partisan. Also, he's for big government intrusion like the Patriot Act and government discrimination.

To take a line from the Bible: "So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Justinjj1
05-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I can find plenty of videos of Demint praising the War in Iraq, torture, wiretapping, Patriot Act, etc.

I don't really care that he wants to audit the fed, he's still a scumbag.

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree with this. While it is just one issue, its good to be on the right side of that issue, and I give Demint credit for that.

Now that I think about it, I really can't say that "fiscal issues take precedence over moral issues right now" because our fiscal issues ARE moral issues.

The bailouts, debt, etc. are issues of theft and slavery. They are moral issues.

So I guess DeMint was right when he said "You can't be a fiscal conservative without being a social conservative".

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Voted NO on requiring FISA court warrant to monitor US-to-foreign calls.
Voted YES on removing need for FISA warrant for wiretapping abroad.
Voted NO on limiting soldiers' deployment to 12 months.
Voted NO on implementing the 9/11 Commission report.
Voted NO on preserving habeas corpus for Guantanamo detainees.
Voted NO on requiring CIA reports on detainees & interrogation methods.
Voted YES on reauthorizing the PATRIOT Act.
Voted YES on extending the PATRIOT Act's wiretap provision.
Voted NO on restricting business with entities linked to terrorism.
Voted NO on restoring $565M for states' and ports' first responders.
Voted YES on supporting new position of Director of National Intelligence.
Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan.
Voted YES on $266 billion Defense Appropriations bill.
Supports banning homosexuals in the military.
http://www.issues2000.org/international/Jim_DeMint_Homeland_Security.htm

Zatch
05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
He helped get Rand elected, he was a strong supporter of a Fed audit, he opposed the bank and auto bailouts. He's far from perfect but he's better than most Republicans in the senate.

http://dailypaul.com/133656/jim-demint-endorses-rand-paul-in-us-senate-race-in-ky

AuH20
05-06-2011, 12:52 PM
No, I'm referring to you saying he'd be cool with barring Teachers that are gay or single women or allowing illegal searches and seizures etc. Goldwater was far from a social con and he did care about those issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WZlWhQbns

Goldwater became much more lenient in his older years on social issues. I'm certainly not against gays, but it's really not a hot button issue for me. To my knowledge Gays are treated pretty well last I checked with Supercitizenship laws (i.e. hate crime ) which protect them. I also disagree with Goldwater on abortion, as I believe it to be a personal liberty issue. Now regarding illegal search and seizure, of course, I'm against these violations. But like I said, I don't have to match ideologically on every issue, to support a politician. I liked Russell Feingold as well.

To reiterate, I support DeMint because he stuck his neck out for Rand and other like-minded candidates when it wasn't fashinonable to do so. Going against the grain in times of peer pressure is a reflection of quality character. And I see great promise in DeMint especially since he basically conceded that foreign policy issues take a backseat to the entrenched enemies operating in plainsight of this country.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I can find plenty of videos of Demint praising the War in Iraq, torture, wiretapping, Patriot Act, etc.

I don't really care that he wants to audit the fed, he's still a scumbag.

Well, I'll see if he supports Rands reforms/ending the Patriot Act this time. I have to admit that is a big ticket item to me with anyone who says they follow the Constitution, as De Mint seems to think he does. I wasn't focusing on him when the other issues came up.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Goldwater became much more lenient in his older years on social issues. I'm certainly not against gays, but it's really not a hot button issue for me. To my knowledge Gays are treated pretty well last I checked with Supercitizenship laws (i.e. hate crime ) which protect them. I also disagree with Goldwater on abortion, as I believe it to be a personal liberty issue. Now regarding illegal search and seizure, of course, I'm against these violations. But like I said, I don't have to match ideologically on every issue, to support a politician. I liked Russell Feingold as well.

To reiterate, I support DeMint because he stuck his neck out for Rand and other like-minded candidates when it wasn't fashinonable to do so. Going against the grain in times of peer pressure is a reflection of quality character. And I see great promise in DeMint especially since he basically conceded that foreign policy issues take a backseat to the entrenched enemies operating in plainsight of this country.

Have to correct you. Jim Demint didn't lift a finger for Rand until he was trending and surging ahead in the polls. He's not as principled as people think.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Well, I'll see if he supports Rands reforms/ending the Patriot Act this time. I have to admit that is a big ticket item to me with anyone who says they follow the Constitution, as De Mint seems to think he does. I wasn't focusing on him when the other issues came up.

Hell, he didn't support Rand's Budget and he has been skiddish on almost everything Rand Proposes. It seems Lindsey was more willing to support a Rand Bill (medicare) more so than Jim Demint.

ChaosControl
05-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Because he is the least bad of the 98% neocon part of the Senate.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Have to correct you. Jim Demint didn't lift a finger for Rand until he was trending and surging ahead in the polls. He's not as principled as people think.

That's hyperbole. He's taken Rand under his wing since he's joined the senate.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Hell, he didn't support Rand's Budget and he has been skiddish on almost everything Rand Proposes. It seems Lindsey was more willing to support a Rand Bill (medicare) more so than Jim Demint.

social security, not medicare but I know what you mean there. But he 'generally' supported his 5 year plan and doing that gave it a lot more credibility. I'm just grateful Rand has his help on some things.

Brett85
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Waterboarding: I agree with Pawlenty. Extreme circumstances dictated by an executive order. It should not be general policy however. Waterboarding for some inexplicable reason has been incorporated into the CIA's regular interrogation protocol. That's completely unacceptable.

Good! I'm not the only person here who has that position.

AuH20
social security, not medicare but I know what you mean there. But he 'generally' supported his 5 year plan and doing that gave it a lot more credibility. I'm just grateful Rand has his help on some things.

2:02 mark. He was speaking at the bill's press conference for Christ's sake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vDNmE_M7E&feature=player_embedded

BamaFanNKy

No he's not. What bill of Rand's has he cosponsored?

Brett85
05-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Goldwater supported nuking foreign countries. He would be considered a neocon by most people here if he was alive today.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Goldwater supported nuking foreign countries. He would be considered a neocon by most people here if he was alive today.

Says LBJ.

Really, his idea was to fight a war and not get stuck in a never ending war (i.e. Vietnam). Have a clear cut exit strategy.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:14 PM
No he's not. What bill of Rand's has he cosponsored?

Audit the Fed:
http://fedupusa.org/2011/01/26/rand-paul-reintroduces-audit-the-fed-bill-demint-and-vitter-co-sponsors/

And he practicallly sponsored the 5 year budget plan without officially putting his name on it:
http://www.saveyourrights.com/obama/senators-rand-paul-mike-lee-and-jim-demint-introduce-five-year-balanced-budget-plan/

He even slammed the plan of golden boy Paul Ryan. So explain to me it again why we have to hate DeMint?
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/05/04/jim-demint-ryan-budget-end-medicare-new-beginning/

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Audit the Fed:
http://fedupusa.org/2011/01/26/rand-paul-reintroduces-audit-the-fed-bill-demint-and-vitter-co-sponsors/

And he practicallly sponsored the 5 year budget plan without officially putting his name on it:
http://www.saveyourrights.com/obama/senators-rand-paul-mike-lee-and-jim-demint-introduce-five-year-balanced-budget-plan/

He even slammed the plan of golden boy Paul Ryan. So explain to me it again why we have to hate DeMint?
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/05/04/jim-demint-ryan-budget-end-medicare-new-beginning/

So 1 bill. So he's even with Lindsey Graham? Also, he disagrees with Senator Paul's cuts to military and homeland defense so.... not really supporting it, even if we'd like him to.

Also, this is a guy who supported Romney Care when Romney was popular and now supports Rand once he was leading in the polls and now that he is popular in the senate.

We call guys like that, frontrunners.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:19 PM
So 1 bill. So he's even with Lindsey Graham? Also, he disagrees with Senator Paul's cuts to military and homeland defense so.... not really supporting it, even if we'd like him to.

Also, this is a guy who supported Romney Care when Romney was popular and now supports Rand once he was leading in the polls and now that he is popular in the senate.

We call guys like that, frontrunners.

He did not support Romneycare? Where did you find that? He simply endorsed Romney because he wanted to derail McCain. Bay Buchanan took the same tact as well, especially considering the more hardline illegal immigration stance Romney eventually took. Do you really think they're true believers of Mitt Romney?

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:20 PM
He did not support Romneycare? Where did you find that? He simply endorsed Romney because he wanted to derail McCain. Bay Buchanan took the same tact as well. Do you really think they're true believers of Mitt Romney?

Watch the OP video. 1:00 in he says we need to do what Romney did in Mass on a National scale to make sure everyone is insured.

juleswin
05-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Yea like suggesting Rand need to be straightened out after the whole Rachal Maddow fiasco. Mind you, he agree with the rest of the PC police that Rand was in the wrong and was trying to reassure us all that Rand needed some adult advice.

I have never liked DeMint and I just go along with it because he is a friend of Dr. Paul. Sometimes you just shut up in order to keep the peace. Also I can stand it when he said with a straight face that single women and gays should not be allowed to teach schools (he did not specify if it was just public schools but I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to be it for all schools)

Its weird, but I think I just agreed with BamaFANKY on an issue

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Yea like suggesting Rand need to be straightened out after the whole Rachal Maddow fiasco. Mind you, he agree with the rest of the PC police that Rand was in the wrong and was trying to reassure us all that Rand needed some adult advice.

I have never liked DeMint and I just go along with it because he is a friend of Dr. Paul. Sometimes you just shut up in order to keep the peace. Also I can stand it when he said with a straight face that single women and gays should not be allowed to teach schools (he did not specify if it was just public schools but I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to be it for all schools)

Its weird, but I think I just agreed with BamaFANKY on an issue

I think many of the purists are looking for any signs to project duplicity on the part of DeMint, becuse they're uncomfortable with his personal religious views, when in actuality, he's taken two steps to us. He could have have easily let Rand hang in the wind as one lone "nutty" freshman Republican senator. But he's handed over the keys to the kingdom so to speak, making Rand an even bigger national figure than we could have ever imagined, while the hostile Republican establishment has had their crosshairs firmly affixed to Rand's back. It actually goes back to DeMint's comments in which he said that he'd forfeit a superficial republican majority for 30 true believers.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:36 PM
But he's handed over the keys to the kingdom so to speak, making Rand an even bigger national figure than we could have ever imagined,

Wow. Demint the king maker? Glad he showed up in time to take credit for a Rand win and then throw him under the bus after Maddow.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Wow. Demint the king maker? Glad he showed up in time to take credit for a Rand win and then throw him under the bus after Maddow.

Are you serious? Look around. The big three in the republican senate are DeMint, Lee and Rand. They're the only ones showing any type of courage or leadership.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Are you serious? Look around. The big three in the republican senate are DeMint, Lee and Rand. They're the only ones showing any type of courage or leadership.

WHAT? Is this what Courage looks like:
http://www.issues2000.org/internatio...d_Security.htm

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 01:42 PM

to be fair, De Mint gets a lot from being associated with Rand, too, but it is absolutely a 2 way street.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Why is De Mint suddenly a bee in your bonnet? Why today and not last week?

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
WHAT? Is this what Courage looks like:

You've sold me. Let's burn him alive at the stake. Rand has bad taste in friends anyway.

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Probably because DeMint criticized Gary yesterday.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:48 PM
to be fair, De Mint gets a lot from being associated with Rand, too, but it is absolutely a 2 way street.

Agreed, but DeMint was the first one to create the maverick/outsider club in the GOP Senate. It was only natural for Rand to take top billing in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWeBbqJy3QI&feature=player_embedded

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Because he's now on TV walking back his past endorsement of RomneyCare and he's not going to endorse Ron.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Agreed, but DeMint was the first one to create the maverick club. It was only natural for Rand to take top billing in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWeBbqJy3QI&feature=player_embedded

WHo was in Demint's Maverick Club.

I guess Ron gets zero credit from you. Mavericks don't endorse Romney.

AGAIN! Do maverick's vote like this:

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
WHo was in Demint's Maverick Club.

I guess Ron gets zero credit from you. Mavericks don't endorse Romney.

Ron has been singlehandedly manning the resistance in the House for 3 decades. I was referring to the Senate.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Because he's now on TV walking back his past endorsement of RomneyCare and he's not going to endorse Ron.

Well, the second part bothers me too, is that a guess or do you know?

I didn't realize he had called for Romneycare nationally, though. That IS Obamacare. That IS hypocritical.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Ron has been singlehandedly manning the resistance in the House for 3 decades. I was referring to the Senate.

Ah yes. The Maverick movement in the Senate produced this:

Record>Speeches

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 01:52 PM

If DeMint doesn't endorse Ron and instead goes for Huck or Bachmann, then I will join with you in condemning him. But, you got to give the guy some credit for his stand against the FED. Who else in the Senate is doing that? Not many...

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Ah yes. The Maverick movement in the Senate produced this:

Record>Speeches

What do you want? Do want us to swear allegiance to Gary Johnson? I like Gary but he has no juice.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:55 PM
If DeMint doesn't endorse Ron and instead goes for Huck or Bachmann, then I will join with you in condemning him. But, you got to give the guy some credit for his stand against the FED. Who else in the Senate is doing that? Not many...

Actually, quite a few were on board in the Senate last year: http://www.ronpaul.com/2010-04-26/audit-the-fed-will-the-bankers-win/

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:56 PM
What do you want? Do want us to swear allegiance to Gary Johnson? I like Gary but he has no juice.

Did you eat paint chips as a child? I'm not talking about GJ. I'm talking about this guy people keep saying is a friendly. Also, because I point out people lie about a man's position you say I support him. Yet, I give video evidence of Jim "Rick Santorum lite" DeMint being in favor of Romneycare and you still defend him?

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Actually, quite a few were on board in the Senate last year: http://www.ronpaul.com/2010-04-26/audit-the-fed-will-the-bankers-win/

He sponsored the bill. What a wimp! You've taken this Gary Johnson slight so personally, that you're hellbent on a mission to take down DeMint. Of course, he's not perfect. Who here is arguing that he is? But you're making him out to be John McCain. That's insane!!!

AuH20
05-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Did you eat paint chips as a child? I'm not talking about GJ. I'm talking about this guy people keep saying is a friendly. Also, because I point out people lie about a man's position you say I support him. Yet, I give video evidence of Jim "Rick Santorum lite" DeMint being in favor of Romneycare and you still defend him?

You're comparing him to "Medicare Part D" Santorum now?

BamaFanNKy
He sponsored the bill. What a wimp! You've taken this Gary Johnson slight so personally, that you're hellbent on a mission to take down DeMint. Of course, he's not perfect. Who here is arguing that he is? But you're making him out to be John McCain. That's insane!!!

I have no clue what he said about GJ. So, no I haven't. I'm not a GJ supporter. I actually think this guy is a shapeshifter. No, unlike McCain.... he supports waterboarding and banning single women from teaching.

BamaFanNKy
You're comparing him to "Medicare Part D" Santorum now?

RomneyCare on a National Level is < or = with Medicare Part D

AuH20
05-06-2011, 02:00 PM
I have no clue what he said about GJ. So, no I haven't. I'm not a GJ supporter. I actually think this guy is a shapeshifter. No, unlike McCain.... he supports waterboarding and banning single women from teaching.

We all have different worldviews. They're not all entirely built on the basis of malice.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Sanders was letting it drop once Ron got it past the House and there was an actual threat of it passing. DeMint cosponsored and then was the one to bring it multiple times to a vote. Sanders then sold out the substance which he had to do (for Obama) because too many had come out for it before they realized it would pass. The votes were on record and once the GOP was unified, they were sunk.

BUT it is one good thing, not everything.

And he doesn't favor BANNING single women from teaching, he just thinks it is a bad idea for them to teach.....:D

There is a difference, one is a use of force, the other is just a stupid idea.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
My whole point on this...... Demint has been playing the "Friendly" card with most of our people. He's going to sell us out like he did in 2007 with a Romney type.

"I haven't seen anyone (Romney) light up a room like that since Reagan" -Jim Demint

AuH20
05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
My whole point on this...... Demint has been playing the "Friendly" card with most of our people. He's going to sell us out like he did in 2007 with a Romney type.

"I haven't seen anyone (Romney) light up a room like that since Reagan" -Jim Demint

Everyone and their mother, "sold out" to Romney when it was just him and McCain. Secondly, Romney made a point to appeal to the more conservative members with certain concessions.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 02:05 PM
He might. Or he might go for someone Rubio esque.

Mini-Me
05-06-2011, 02:05 PM
In and of himself, DeMint is terrible on some of my most important issues. On these issues, his votes are lost votes. However, he makes himself likable by backing us on Audit the Fed, backing Rand, and generally treating us with respect. By working to help us gain a foothold instead of directly antagonizing us, he has set himself apart from the vast majority of Republican politicians. Yes, he would endorse someone like Romney over someone like RP, and we can't count on an endorsement, but he works with us in such a way as to boost our credibility. In the long run, his receptiveness means he could even be moved closer toward us on civil liberties issues as well. It doesn't mean I could vote for him...but between attacking a poor Senator who tries to help us, and attacking other politicians who not only suck but actively try to undermine us...well, it's a no-brainer.

For the same reason, I find Kucinich a poor Congressman who is nevertheless likable. Johnson on the other hand is better than both on the balance. He is not just an occasional help but someone who I would probably vote for (just not against someone better like Ron Paul). He doesn't go half as far as I'd like on many issues (especially the Fed) and he goes farther than I'd like on immigration, but overall he's a huge step in the right direction. DeMint and Kucinich are much more, "one step forward, two steps back," but we can work with them because they aren't directly working to slit our throats in our sleep.

juleswin
05-06-2011, 02:07 PM
My problem with this thread is why pick a fight with him now? He has enough credibility with the social cons and its grassroot movement. I say we lay off his back until he starts attacking Ron. He is one man who want on your side to eek out a primary win.

DeMint is bad but he is the best of the worst, it is sad but that is what we have to work with.

Lastly, if he ever endorses Ron for president, i will eat my shoe on video and post it on youtube for all to see.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
He won't attack Ron. He might endorse someone else.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 02:11 PM
He won't attack Ron. He might endorse someone else.

If Ron can step up his game in these debates, DeMint will endorse him. There is no one out there besides a Palin or Bachmann that he could gravitate towards. The support of Romney in 2008 was an alliance of convenience to stop McCain.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Everyone and their mother, "sold out" to Romney when it was just him and McCain. Secondly, Romney made a point to appeal to the more conservative members with certain concessions.

He did it in Jan. 2007! OUT THE FREAKING GATE! http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242547,00.html

Stop trying to act like it was Jan. 2008.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
He did it in Jan. 2007! OUT THE FREAKING GATE! http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242547,00.html

so did Bay Buchanan because of immigration concerns.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 02:21 PM
so did Bay Buchanan because of immigration concerns.

There is a difference in going to endorse someone and saying you want Romneycare on a national level, comparing him to Reagan and his voting record.

efiniti
05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
As an south carolinian I have to say we don't hate Jim DeMint. He's not a libertarian, but he at least tries to be fiscally conservative. Back in 08 during I wrote to him and he stood up against the bank bailouts when most of Congress was scared shitless. Lindsay Graham, on the other hand, is an idiot and we all hate him.

This move was just politics.

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 08:32 PM
As an south carolinian I have to say we don't hate Jim DeMint. He's not a libertarian, but he at least tries to be fiscally conservative. Back in 08 during I wrote to him and he stood up against the bank bailouts when most of Congress was scared shitless. Lindsay Graham, on the other hand, is an idiot and we all hate him.

This move was just politics.

Agree.

DeadheadForPaul
05-06-2011, 08:35 PM
The fact is that support from people like Demint, Dobson, and Palin gave legitimacy to Rand and thus allowed him to garner support from rank-and-file Repubs

At worst, he is a useful idiot

Truthfully, he helped Mike Lee and Rand Paul in a tremendous way and challenged the mainstream GOP

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 09:39 PM
The fact is that support from people like Demint, Dobson, and Palin gave legitimacy to Rand and thus allowed him to garner support from rank-and-file Repubs

At worst, he is a useful idiot

Truthfully, he helped Mike Lee and Rand Paul in a tremendous way and challenged the mainstream GOP

Actually Demint did little to nothing for Rand. Why? He waited till he saw Rand was ahead. He endorsed Rand 13 days before the election. At that point Rand had a 15+ point lead in most polls. Big limb he stepped out on.