PDA

View Full Version : Like I said. We are losing the new internet battle, Twitter.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?289198-Google-s-great-to-see-Ron-on-list-but-this-year.......&highlight=Twitter

Herman Cain is trending and that is getting the media's attention.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Everyone who is willing to have a twitter account should go on periodically. I try to, I just don't think in twitter.
just retweeted but I'm thinking of tweeting about Cain having been chair of the Kansas city Fed, and asking his opinion on a full audit (although I know it.)

Nate-ForLiberty
05-06-2011, 12:05 PM
grassroots needs to be in the street anyway. The establishment has spent 4 years learning how to beat us at our own game.

Ron Paul block parties!!!

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:08 PM
grassroots needs to be in the street anyway. The establishment has spent 4 years learning how to beat us at our own game.

So give up on what has gotten us this far. Good idea. It's won through the media. The media loves them some twitter.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Actually, I just quickly retweeted about 15 things on Ron, but then I pulled up Cain and trending or not he hasn't nearly the traffic of Ron. 'Trend' sometimes is just the comparison to usual which I guess is usually pretty low for him. Ron's is moving at a fast clip.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
So give up on what has gotten us this far. Good idea. It's won through the media. The media loves them some twitter.

no. Just be creative and realize that we'll have to change our strategies from last time. The last go around was so effective because no one had done it before. We don't have that edge anymore.

belian78
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM

This, a thousand times, this.

We need to do more engaging things than just sign waves and slimjim dumps. Organize events/fundraisers/charity events.. get a local email address and phone number up and running for your community to call if they have questions.. Show people that Rons support is real.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
no. Just be creative and realize that we'll have to change our strategies from last time. The last go around was so effective because no one had done it before. We don't have that edge anymore.

Twitter is not that large of an audience. Not many users. Who does use it are the writers and media types.

Maximus
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Twitter is not that large of an audience. Not many users. Who does use it are the writers and media types.

Which is why we should use it. Use everything we have at our disposal.

AdamT
05-06-2011, 12:14 PM
The trends come from using hash tags (#) correct? Or can mentions (@) trend too?

Would be good if everyone understood how to get something to trend, ie using the same hash tag, like #ronpaul

Nate-ForLiberty
05-06-2011, 12:17 PM

then we shouldn't waste too much time on it. Have one or a few people gather up as many Paul users as they can and then coordinate what to tweet. Which is another reason why a lot of things worked last time that don't seem to be moving right now. It was much later in the race. That's why it is so important to right now be out talking with people and handing out info. Interweb domination will come. Put our energies in the proper theater, otherwise we'll lose key battles and ultimately the war. (this is figurative speech DHS!!!....fuckers)

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
The trends come from using hash tags (#) correct? Or can mentions (@) trend too?

Would be good if everyone understood how to get something to trend, ie using the same hash tag, like #ronpaul

Actually I don't think it's the hashtags. I could be wrong.

speciallyblend
05-06-2011, 12:44 PM
the gop is one f'ed up party .This is the conclusion i have been getting since 2006 when i joined!! They want an obama 2nd term!! I can see the gop forcing me to vote 3rd party!!

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
then we shouldn't waste too much time on it. Have one or a few people gather up as many Paul users as they can and then coordinate what to tweet. Which is another reason why a lot of things worked last time that don't seem to be moving right now. It was much later in the race. That's why it is so important to right now be out talking with people and handing out info. Interweb domination will come. Put our energies in the proper theater, otherwise we'll lose key battles and ultimately the war. (this is figurative speech DHS!!!....fuckers)

Actually, you try to get media attention as much as possible. Just like money bombs..... we should have twitter bombs.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Actually, you try to get media attention as much as possible. Just like money bombs..... we should have twitter bombs.

That's a good idea. We are all here during debates etc anyhow, we should organize, go forth and tweet...

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
That's a good idea. We are all here during debates etc anyhow, we should organize, go forth and tweet...

It's only costing us time. WHy the hell not! Majorly during debates. Also, wouldn't hurt to disguise some of yourselves as independents.

belian78
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
the gop is one f'ed up party .This is the conclusion i have been getting since 2006 when i joined!! They want an obama 2nd term!! I can see the gop forcing me to vote 3rd party!!

Off topic here, but Specially I have to say, you get my award for most enthusiastic poster. LOL. So many exclamation points! Hehe

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
nt

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Off topic here, but Specially I have to say, you get my award for most enthusiastic poster. LOL. So many exclamation points! Hehe

Weed makes him excited.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Twitter bombs during debates I can get on board with!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Cain has been trending since last night.

specsaregood
05-06-2011, 02:00 PM
//

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Embarrassing as it is to say....I've been programming computers professionally for 15+ years, helped make the web what it is today and still, I have no clue how to twitter, where to enter those stupid @ or # signs and how it effing works. I'm torn between feeling like a dumbass because of this, feeling old and outdated or just not giving a sh*t. So far, I have just opted for the latter.

Trust me. If not for Rand2010.... I never would have joined. It's a big waste of time in most cases.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Embarrassing as it is to say....I've been programming computers professionally for 15+ years, helped make the web what it is today and still, I have no clue how to twitter, where to enter those stupid @ or # signs and how it effing works. I'm torn between feeling like a dumbass because of this, feeling old and outdated or just not giving a sh*t. So far, I have just opted for the latter.

That's why we should have a someone control a Twitter account that creates tweets for people to retweet. That way you won't have to worry about how to use twitter, you just retweet.

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I joined just recently. It has putrid privacy protocols but I only use it for this stuff.

Twitter once you have an account is no harder than chat.

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
That's why we should have a someone control a Twitter account that creates tweets for people to retweet. That way you won't have to worry about how to use twitter, you just retweet.

Good point. Still it's good to have varying messages.

Matt Collins
05-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I am "LibertyMatt"

Herman Cain supported Mitt Romney & the bailouts http://004eeb5.netsolhost.com/hc133.htm #tlot #tcot #teaparty #rnc #gop #ronpaul #yal #c4l

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I am "LibertyMatt"

Herman Cain supported Mitt Romney & the bailouts http://004eeb5.netsolhost.com/hc133.htm #tlot #tcot #teaparty #rnc #gop #ronpaul #yal #c4l

I'm usernamenuse what is tlot and tcot?

Matt Collins
05-06-2011, 02:45 PM
TLOT and TCOT stands for Top Conservatives and Top Libertarians on Twitter.
http://tagdef.com/tlot

http://tcot.dailyright.net/
http://www.tcotreport.com/

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
ah

speciallyblend
05-06-2011, 03:39 PM

thanks i guess ,i just get frustrated sometimes. If a simple hippie like me can get it? why can't they?? ERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!:)

speciallyblend
05-06-2011, 03:40 PM

yes ,great idea:) waits for the anti-central planners to jump on you:)

heavenlyboy34
05-06-2011, 03:46 PM
yes ,great idea:) waits for the anti-central planners to jump on you:)

That's not central planning. It's coordinated, voluntary action. ;)

Feeding the Abscess
05-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Is there a way to send tweets through a text message? I don't have a web-enabled phone.

One Last Battle!
05-06-2011, 06:56 PM
We aren't losing the internet battle. Cain just happens to be rising quite high NOW, but that is compared to what he had previously (which was practically nothing). Ron Paul's volume completely dwarfs that of Cain. Its like saying that a small creek that is flooding is going to become larger than the Atlantic Ocean when water levels are rising more slowly.

tangent4ronpaul
05-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Been meaning to start a twitter thread for a while, but this should really be in computers and networking for longevity.

Twitter Still Dominated By Noisy Minority, Study Finds
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/28/twitter-study-statistics_n_841666.html

Cornell University and Yahoo! Research have released a ten-page research report that offers insight into how content is being created, consumed, and shared by different groups of users on Twitter.

Though Twitter recently shared statistics highlighting its considerable growth over the past five years, the researchers found that a small minority of users--around .05% of the site's population--are generating half of all Twitter posts.

The researchers distinguished between ordinary and elite users, which they divided into four categories: celebrities (such as Lady Gaga or Barack Obama), media (such as CNN), organizations (such as Google), and blogs (such as BoingBoing, Gizmodo, Engadget, and Copyblogger).

Though Twitter has around 200 million users, the report found that 50% of tweets (there are around 140 million sent each day) are generated by 20,000 "elite" users, or less than .05% of all users. A 2009 Harvard study drew a similar conclusion, reporting that just 10% of Twitter's users produced 90% of the service's tweets.

The Cornell/Yahoo! Research study also found that the lifespan of tweets varies by user category, noting that this can be explained by the type of content that the differing users tend to post to Twitter:

URLs originated by media actors generate a large portion of short-lived URLs (especially URLs with lifespan=0, those that only appeared once); and second, URLs originated by bloggers are over-represented among the longer-lived content. Both of these results can be explained by the type of content that originates from different sources: whereas news stories tend to be replaced by updates on a daily or more frequent basis, the sorts of URLs that are picked up by bloggers are of more persistent interest, and so are more likely to be retweeted or reintroduced months or even years after their initial introduction.

Not only are a small minority of elite users producing half of all tweets, but it appears that these elite users seem to be most focused on following others within their category.

"Within the population of elite users, moreover, attention is highly homophilous, with celebrities following celebrities, media following media, and bloggers following bloggers," the researchers wrote.

On the other hand, "ordinary" users are not receiving information directly from media outlets, but second hand, via other tweeters.

"Even though media outlets are by far the most active users on Twitter, only about 15% of tweets received by ordinary users are received directly from the media," the report notes.

According to the study, the URLs that last the longest on Twitter are those linking to videos and music, evergreen content from sources like YouTube and Last.fm (See chart below).

The studies:
http://research.yahoo.com/pub/3386

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2009/06/new_twitter_research_men_follo.html

At the same time there is a small contingent of users who are very active. Specifically, the top 10% of prolific Twitter users accounted for over 90% of tweets. On a typical online social network, the top 10% of users account for 30% of all production. To put Twitter in perspective, consider an unlikely analogue - Wikipedia. There, the top 15% of the most prolific editors account for 90% of Wikipedia's edits ii. In other words, the pattern of contributions on Twitter is more concentrated among the few top users than is the case on Wikipedia, even though Wikipedia is clearly not a communications tool. This implies that Twitter's resembles more of a one-way, one-to-many publishing service more than a two-way, peer-to-peer communication network.

twitter stats:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/14/twitter-user-statistics_n_835581.html

According to the post, Twitter was up and functioning for 3 years, 2 months and 1 day before it notched its one-billionth tweet. Now, the service handles a billion tweets every week.

In the past year alone, the average number of tweets per day has nearly tripled from 50 million to 140 million.

Tweets generally spike during a significant cultural event, and recent figures have been staggering. On March 11, the day of the Japan earthquake and tsunami, Twitter users exceeded the average daily tweets by 37 million--that's 177 million tweets in a single day.

Also surging is Twitter's membership. 572,000 new accounts were created on March 12. For the past month, the average daily sign-up rate has been 460,000 new accounts, and Twitter has also marked a 182% increase in the number of users tweeting from mobile devices in the past year.

-t

BamaFanNKy
05-06-2011, 09:46 PM
bump.

Should we organize a twitter bomb day?

tropicangela
05-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm ConstitutionGov

angelatc
05-06-2011, 10:15 PM

An @ sign relates to a user. If you're talking about me, you'll say "Wow! @AngelaTC is still the most confused person I've met!" That way it will show up in my account, even if I don't subscribe to you.

A hash tag (#) is more for a topic or a group that follows a . #ronpaul #randpaul #gop are pretty self explanatory. Sometimes they're sporadic : #Obama2012slogans, #binladenslastwords or topical; #Alabama, #fukishima . If you want to see "tweets" related to that topic, then you search for that term.

#tcot = The Conservatives On Twitter - is a popular one.

angelatc
05-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Is there a way to send tweets through a text message? I don't have a web-enabled phone. Yes, and in fact, that's what it was designed to do. You have to create a profile first, but here's the FAQ - http://support.twitter.com/articles/87284-how-to-tweet-with-your-phone-if-your-carrier-is-not-listed

angelatc
05-06-2011, 10:23 PM

TLOT = The Liberals On Twitter, TCOT = The Conservatives On Twitter

#P2 is the progressives.

european
05-06-2011, 10:27 PM
This, a thousand times, this.

We need to do more engaging things than just sign waves and slimjim dumps. Organize events/fundraisers/charity events.. get a local email address and phone number up and running for your community to call if they have questions.. Show people that Rons support is real.

that sounds like a good idea :cool:

tropicangela
05-06-2011, 11:16 PM

Good point. Still it's good to have varying messages.

If we retweet, will they show up as new messages with greater visibility, or are they only displayed on our individual pages? In other words, will the retweet show on the @username's page again? Will the retweeted hashtags show in an updated search?

tangent4ronpaul
05-07-2011, 12:15 AM
bump!

tangent4ronpaul
05-07-2011, 02:20 AM
another blimp - hay it's lat and important....

tangent4ronpaul
05-07-2011, 03:54 AM
blimp!

Jim Casey
05-07-2011, 04:22 AM
If Herman Cain wins the nomination, that would be a great time for Governor Ventura to step into the ring.

tangent4ronpaul
05-07-2011, 07:53 AM
See post #36

speciallyblend
05-07-2011, 08:19 AM
we are not losing the battle ,just fox news has the ability to drive cain or anything with their news website on twitter!! Fox news and the GOP will elect obama!!

tangent4ronpaul
05-07-2011, 10:14 AM
we are not losing the battle ,just fox news has the ability to drive cain or anything with their news website on twitter!! Fox news and the GOP will elect obama!!

"Fox news and the GOP will elect obama!! "

That would make a GREAT tweet!

tropicangela
05-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Trying to do this without being reported for spam by Cain supporters.

@THEHermanCain discusses #federalreserve in VIDEO & opposes audit http://youtu.be/caeNXivEGEg NO #teaparty candidate #citizencain #foxnews

tropicangela
05-07-2011, 01:15 PM
2012twit Election Analysis
Top tags tweeted by #2012GOP past 24hrs: #tcot #citizencain #fb #news #Indiana #sctweets #p2 #edchoice #Croft #obl #StJudePrayforUs #Osama

FreedomIsPossible
05-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Hello, I know a bit about online marketing so I will try to offer some help with some free services you can use to automate twitter.

Here is a tool you can use to schedule tweets
http://www.twaitter.com/

This one allows you to update your twitter with RSS feeds
http://www.twitterfeed.com

This forum has an RSS feed, here it is http://www.ronpaulforums.com/external.php?type=RSS2

You can set up google news RSS feeds, here is one for Ron Paul http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=ron+paul&cf=all&output=rss

You can subscribe to Youtube users RSS feeds, here is one for the channel Ron Paul Classics http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/RonPaulClassics/uploads

Other sites like facebook use RSS too, so you could have your facebook stream update with new Ron Paul articles or videos automatically

Here is an outsourcing site, sort of like an ebay for services but everything is $5, where people offer their help for all kinds of things, you can buy facebook or twitter accounts, buy likes and followers for those accounts, or even things like graphic design and songwriting.
http://www.fiverr.com

MelissaCato
05-08-2011, 05:05 PM

^^ Ya this.

Matt Collins
05-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Here is a tool you can use to schedule tweets
http://www.twaitter.com/
Did anyone else misread this at first glance? LOL

Maximus
05-08-2011, 06:07 PM
@Catholic4RP

Let's set a Twitter bomb date and get RP trending!

BamaFanNKy
05-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Get Josh or whoever to organize.

Mahkato
05-09-2011, 08:18 AM
I heard somewhere that there are more Farmville users on Facebook than active Twitter users. Perhaps we need to do some Ron Paul farming.

acptulsa
05-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I think many of us just have attention spans that are too long for TwitBook.

BamaFanNKy
05-09-2011, 08:30 AM
I think many of us just have attention spans that are too long for TwitBook.

True. Most of us equal 7% of the voters. Do we want 50% + 1 vote?

acptulsa
05-09-2011, 08:31 AM
True. Most of us equal 7% of the voters. Do we want 50% + 1 vote?

Of course. Just theorizing as to why, for the first and only time, we're behind the technosocial curve on this one.

tropicangela
05-09-2011, 05:49 PM
It would help for everyone to make a twitter account and click 'Follow' on Ron Paul's feed here: http://twitter.com/RepRonPaul

Twitter election trackers are following those kinds of stats.

Nate-ForLiberty
05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
It would help for everyone to make a twitter account and click 'Follow' on Ron Paul's feed here: http://twitter.com/RepRonPaul

Twitter election trackers are following those kinds of stats.

This is the Presidential Campaign Twitter account....

http://twitter.com/RonPaul

MelissaCato
05-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I heard somewhere that there are more Farmville users on Facebook than active Twitter users. Perhaps we need to do some Ron Paul farming.

1776 is doing pretty good in Mafia Wars. (lol)

123tim
05-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Just my opinion, but I don't really call what we have a "strategy". I think it's more that the Internet allows for free thinking and expression.
Ron Paul has Ideas that resonate with people who want a free nation and personal liberty. The internet is the forum that allowed us to find each other.
Main Stream Media does everything to filter us out and keep us from the rest of the populace, while keeping the rest of the populace brainwashed.

I think that Ron Paul's message is what drove his success. I think that it will continue to long after Cain is washed up.

I really respect you Nate. I think that your ideas are all good. Just giving my spin on what I think has happened.

By the way - A Ron Paul Block party sounds cool. :) I wish that I had a block and a Ron Paul party.

FreedomProsperityPeace
05-09-2011, 07:13 PM
That's why we should have a someone control a Twitter account that creates tweets for people to retweet. That way you won't have to worry about how to use twitter, you just retweet.There is an RPF Twitter account: http://twitter.com/RonPaulForums

tropicangela
05-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Social networking bombs through RTR (with mobile.)

http://youtu.be/PP5PPMv-rTU

Indy Vidual
05-10-2011, 06:38 AM

Trust me. If not for Rand2010.... I never would have joined. It's a big waste of time in most cases.

Twitter has an extreme amount of Spam and garbage. Nate-ForLiberty, made a good point when suggesting we get out in the real-world.

BamaFanNKy
05-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Twitter has an extreme amount of Spam and garbage. Nate-ForLiberty, made a good point when suggesting we get out in the real-world.

Spam and garbage= getting noticed by media. The real world is controlled by the media. 3 minutes of air time can beat 1,000 sign waving parties.

ds21089
05-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Spam and garbage= getting noticed by media. The real world is controlled by the media. 3 minutes of air time can beat 1,000 sign waving parties.

The sad truth. If we had TRUE journalism, then the sign-waving all over would create headlines in the news and be played thus being even more effective, but obviously we have the media against us...

BamaFanNKy
05-10-2011, 04:18 PM
The sad truth. If we had TRUE journalism, then the sign-waving all over would create headlines in the news and be played thus being even more effective, but obviously we have the media against us...

Actually it wouldn't. Sign waving is for pizzas not politics.
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/5/0d/c69/50dc6922-9120-11df-9e44-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4c40cdbabd5b9.image.jpg

ds21089
05-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Actually it wouldn't. Sign waving is for pizzas not politics.

I'm saying IF the media would report TONS of people waving signs and supporting Ron Paul and play that on the news, people would notice that Ron Paul is the only candidate with such dedicated supporters whom will actually go out of their way to do things like this. That alone could persuade the indecisive people that "you know what..these people must really like this guy to show such dedication. He cant be that bad of a guy" /vote

However, we all know it would be a cold day in hell before the media gives Ron Paul favorable coverage all around.

BamaFanNKy
05-10-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm saying IF the media would report TONS of people waving signs and supporting Ron Paul and play that on the news, people would notice that Ron Paul is the only candidate with such dedicated supporters whom will actually go out of their way to do things like this. That alone could persuade the indecisive people that "you know what..these people must really like this guy to show such dedication. He cant be that bad of a guy" /vote

However, we all know it would be a cold day in hell before the media gives Ron Paul favorable coverage all around.

Actually, he wouldn't. I've seen sign wavers pre-Paul and it's very common in this region. I always wonder what the point would be. I'd much rather we canvass and do other things that are more productive.

Maximus
05-10-2011, 05:09 PM
We need to make a short youtube video that addresses the newsletter controversy

dvictr
05-10-2011, 05:09 PM
someone needs to get the ball rolling on a twitter campaign just to make sure Ron Paul is number 1 in tweets/ tags/ trends