PDA

View Full Version : NFL Player Donte Stallworth tweets about Ron Paul!

muzzled dogg
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Tweet from @DonteStallworth

RT @secupp: Ron Paul on Bachmann: I don't feel threatened. <--- Ron Paul is one of the FEW politicians who calls out BOTH parties

http://twitter.com/#!/DonteStallworth/status/66531961916755968

dbill27
05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Thats awesome, I think there is another tweet from him where he says that Ron seems like a pretty honest guy.

dvictr
05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
cant wait to shoot up heroin

Krugerrand
05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Tell him to be careful. Mendenhall tweeted concerns after the bin Laden shake down and has been torn apart for it. Champion dropped his advertising contract:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?291439-Apparel-company-dumps-Mendenhall-over-bin-Laden-tweets

robskicks
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Tell him to be careful. Mendenhall tweeted concerns after the bin Laden shake down and has been torn apart for it. Champion dropped his advertising contract:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?291439-Apparel-company-dumps-Mendenhall-over-bin-Laden-tweets

What's with the negativity ?

JohnGalt1225
05-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Love it. If we can get some athletes on board it couldn't hurt.

Krugerrand
05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
What's with the negativity ?

didn't intend to come across negative. I'm mostly mad at Champion. I thought Mendenhall was fair and to the point. He got a lot of bad press for it.

robskicks
05-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I understand, but to suggest telling a possible Ron Paul supporter to 'be careful' and comparing supporting ron paul to Mendenhall's Bin Laden situation is not fair to Ron Paul or his supporters.

trey4sports
05-06-2011, 12:28 PM
didnt he go to jail for a while for DUI or something?

Johncjackson
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
didnt he go to jail for a while for DUI or something?

He killed a guy, but was probably legally/morally not guilty. Of course it was sensationalized because of the alcohol factor. He took a deal and settled with the family.

blakjak
05-06-2011, 02:17 PM
He killed a guy, but was probably legally/morally not guilty. Of course it was sensationalized because of the alcohol factor. He took a deal and settled with the family.

Are you kidding? He got drunk, got behind the wheel and committed manslaughter. How is he legally or morally not guilty?

tsai3904
05-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Are you kidding? He got drunk, got behind the wheel and committed manslaughter. How is he legally or morally not guilty?

I'm not passing judgment but the issue had to do with the guy that was killed was running across the street not in the crosswalk.

Johncjackson
05-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Sorry, I didn't expect people here to buy into the statist talking points so easily. Frankly sounds like the kind of logic people use to attack pro-liberty positions of Ron Paul.

I stand by my opinion that he was PROBABLY ( leaving open the possibility I am wrong) not guilty if he went to trial and had reasonable jurors ( I know that's far from a given).

Just because a pedestrian died and the driver was drinking doesn't mean the driver was substantially at fault. If a guy runs in front of your car and you hit him, are you automatically guilty if you had a drink but innocent if not? That makes no sense.

Obviously, defending a drunk driver is not a popular position, regardless of the facts. But hey, I'm on a Ron Paul forum. I'm not a PR guy for MADD or any other big government special interest group.

jkr
05-07-2011, 12:42 AM
he has been an underdog b4

GO BROWNS!

...AND F THE CROWS

KramerDSP
05-07-2011, 10:40 AM
The guy who got hit by Stallworth was also drunk and did not use a crosswalk (it was 4:30 AM in South Beath). Stallworth was driving the legal limit of MPH, but because he was under in the influence (high and legally intoxicated), he settled with the family and I think he had house arrest for a year.

While he was in house arrest, he began researching a lot of things that have to do with politics, and his tweets about Paul were always positive. A few of his followers gave him a hard time, saying RP was racist, and Stallworth defended him, but kind of backed away slightly. I think Stallworth would definently vote for Ron.

KramerDSP
05-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Turns out I have the details wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth took full responsibility for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida and began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement to avoid a potential lawsuit from the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, according to Stallworth's attorney, Christopher Lyons. Reyes was struck and killed March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving his black 2005 Bentley after a night drinking at a swanky hotel bar.

A source told ESPN's Kelly Naqi that while the financial terms of the settlement with the family have not been disclosed, Stallworth was covered by two insurance policies: a car insurance policy and a $5 million umbrella policy.

Stallworth, 28, told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy that he hopes to get involved in drunken-driving education programs.

"I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy," said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. "I will bear this burden for the rest of my life."

Stallworth faced 15 years in prison. According to the plea agreement, Stallworth needs to serve only 24 days of his 30-day sentence. Murphy agreed to give Stallworth credit for the one day he already served, April 2, which was the day of his arrest and booking. In addition, Stallworth received an additional five days of credit because of a Florida state statute stating anyone who is sentenced to 30 days (besides civil, contempt, drug treatment and house arrest cases) automatically gets five days' credit time served for every 30 days, spokesperson Janelle Hall of the Miami Dade County Corrections Department told Naqi.

After his release from jail, Stallworth must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.

Lyons said the plea agreement will allow Stallworth to resume his football career.

Donte' Stallworth, accompanied by his lawyer, Christopher Lyons, has a lifetime suspension from holding a driver's license, and must serve two years' house arrest and eight years on probation.

The Akron Beacon Journal reported that according to an NFL source, commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to discipline Stallworth before the Browns start training camp July 31.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is reviewing the matter for possible disciplinary action. Stallworth could face suspension without pay for some games this year.

The Browns released a statement Tuesday evening, saying "The Browns are very conscious of the seriousness of the charges to which Donte' Stallworth plead guilty to today. We are continuing to evaluate the situation and will make the decisions that we believe are in the best interest of the Cleveland Browns."

Stallworth must also undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving for reasons such as employment.

Lyons noted that Stallworth stopped immediately after the accident, called 911 and submitted to roadside alcohol testing despite spending most of the night drinking at a Miami Beach hotel.

"He acted like a man," Lyons said. "He remained at the scene. He cooperated fully."

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle cited Stallworth's lack of previous criminal record, cooperation with police and willingness to accept responsibility as factors in the plea deal. Rundle also said the Reyes family -- particularly the victim's 15-year-old daughter -- wanted the case resolved to avoid any more pain.

"For all of these reasons, a just resolution of this case has been reached," Rundle said.

None of the Reyes family attended the hearing. Their attorney, Rodolfo Suarez, read a statement saying the family wants to "bring closure to this emotional and tragic event." Suarez was not immediately available to comment after the hearing.

After Stallworth spent the night drinking at a bar in Miami Beach's Fountainebleau hotel, police said he hit Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after finishing his shift at about 7:15 a.m.

Stallworth told police he flashed his lights in an attempt to warn Reyes, who was not in a crosswalk when he was struck.

Stallworth had a blood-alcohol level of .126 after the crash, well above Florida's .08 limit. Stallworth stopped after the crash and immediately told officers he had hit Reyes. Police estimated Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. The California native and University of Tennessee college star also has played in the NFL for the New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints.

The night before the crash, Stallworth earned a $4.5 million roster bonus from the Browns.

David Cornwell, a Stallworth attorney handling the NFL situation, said he has kept top league officials apprised of the case.

"Whenever it is appropriate to do so, we are prepared to discuss the circumstances under which Donte' will resume his career," Cornwell said.

BlackTerrel
05-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Tweet from @DonteStallworth

RT @secupp: Ron Paul on Bachmann: I don't feel threatened. <--- Ron Paul is one of the FEW politicians who calls out BOTH parties

http://twitter.com/#!/DonteStallworth/status/66531961916755968

66K followers. Not bad!

didn't intend to come across negative. I'm mostly mad at Champion. I thought Mendenhall was fair and to the point. He got a lot of bad press for it.

Huge difference. Whatever your thoughts on it there are millions of people offended by Mendenhall's comments and it would not reflect positively on Champion. No one is going to be offended by Stallworth's tweets.

BlackTerrel
05-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Sorry, I didn't expect people here to buy into the statist talking points so easily. Frankly sounds like the kind of logic people use to attack pro-liberty positions of Ron Paul.

I stand by my opinion that he was PROBABLY ( leaving open the possibility I am wrong) not guilty if he went to trial and had reasonable jurors ( I know that's far from a given).

Just because a pedestrian died and the driver was drinking doesn't mean the driver was substantially at fault. If a guy runs in front of your car and you hit him, are you automatically guilty if you had a drink but innocent if not? That makes no sense.

Obviously, defending a drunk driver is not a popular position, regardless of the facts. But hey, I'm on a Ron Paul forum. I'm not a PR guy for MADD or any other big government special interest group.

+1. It was an accident and he accepted full responsibility. Shitty situation but the guy running across the street when it is dark was just as culpable.

DeadheadForPaul
05-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Tweet back to Stallworth a quote where he calls MLK a hero

KramerDSP
05-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Tweet back to Stallworth a quote where he calls MLK a hero

That's a good strategy. Also, why not send him the JFK/MLK/RP Video?? He's been talking about "Thirteen Days" for the last two days, saying he sees it in an entirely different light now that he is "awakened". The guy loves JFK and MLK, and greatly respects RP, so the below video would be fantastic for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AxZDslpl0Y