PDA

View Full Version : DeMint's Disagreements With Ron And Gary

Sola_Fide
05-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) blanched at talk by Johnson of legalized abortion and by Paul of allowing gays to marry.

“I disagreed with the idea that there should be any taxpayer funded abortions, or the federal government redefining marriage,” DeMint said. “I wasn’t quite sure if I was hearing that or not.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/06/republican-presidential-debate-south-carolina_n_858401.html

:rolleyes:

I don't think Jim knows what he was hearing either because didn't Gary explicitly say he didn't want federal funding of abortions and didn't Ron explicitly say he didn't want the federal government redefining marriage?

BamaAla
05-06-2011, 12:36 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/06/republican-presidential-debate-south-carolina_n_858401.html

:rolleyes:

I don't think Jim knows what he was hearing either because didn't Gary explicitly say he didn't want federal funding of abortions and didn't Ron explicitly say he didn't want the federal government redefining marriage?

Selective hearing there Jimbo? I heard what AB heard.

Batman
05-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Gary said he didn't want public funds used for abortions. Jimmy seems to have already made up his mind on both candidates.

Matt Collins
05-06-2011, 04:25 AM
I have lost all respect for him when he voted to reauthorize the PATRIOT ACT a few months ago.

eqcitizen
05-06-2011, 06:03 AM
It was really disappointing when he supported the Patriot act

sailingaway
05-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Jim is kingmaker in South Carolina. Obviously, Ron never said anything like that. I am sure Jim will come to know that. I am hoping Jim will endorse Ron but Ron has to make that POSSIBLE by playing up his social conservative personal views in South Carolina, and last night Ron did not. Mind you, Fox was trying to bait him on those issues, specifically, but Ron has to be a bit more careful imho.

cindy25
05-06-2011, 06:56 AM
won't matter; DeMint will endorse the social conservative, probably bachmann

erowe1
05-06-2011, 07:37 AM
I don't think Jim knows what he was hearing

I think he knows exactly what he heard and his vagueness was carefully calculated. He wanted to distance himself from the liberal positions on those issues, without saying anything that could be construed as a defense of positions that aren't hard line enough to some ears, while at the same time not getting caught up in the nuances of what he knows they really said.

Dreamofunity
05-06-2011, 08:00 AM
I never had respect for him.

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Not a fan of conservatives so I pretty much expect the antagonism towards principled adherents of what they so-called care for / espouse.

nobody's_hero
05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
I think he knows exactly what he heard and his vagueness was carefully calculated. He wanted to distance himself from the liberal positions on those issues, without saying anything that could be construed as a defense of positions that aren't hard line enough to some ears, while at the same time not getting caught up in the nuances of what he knows they really said.

The thing is, these aren't really "liberal" positions. If Republicans actually took a step back to measure just how much government has grown as a result of the 'war on drugs,' I have few doubts that most of them would be outraged. The thing is, no one ever points that out to them.

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-06-2011, 09:42 AM
nt

erowe1
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
The thing is, these aren't really "liberal" positions. If Republicans actually took a step back to measure just how much government has grown as a result of the 'war on drugs,' I have few doubts that most of them would be outraged. The thing is, no one ever points that out to them.

That's why he said it the way he did. He disavowed what really are liberal positions, and deliberately said it in a way that was unclear as to whether or not those positions were what GJ and RP said. He was trying to sail between the Scylla of angering his supporters by sounding to soft on social issues (which have always been a huge part of his agenda), and the Charybdis of having to explain how he disagrees with RP and GJ without compromising constitutional principles he pretends to hold.

Edit: I wasn't really thinking so much about the war on drugs. The OP mentioned abortion and gay marriage.

specsaregood
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Ron should get on the phone and make sure DeMint knows his position correctly. ASAP. Give DeMint no excuse to have such misunderstandings.

Matt Collins
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Ron should get on the phone and make sure DeMint knows his position correctly. ASAP. Give DeMint no excuse to have such misunderstandings.
Rand and DeMint are pretty close so I think this will happen in the near future.

Cowlesy
05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
DeMint in his post-debate interview with Hannity kept saying that Conservatives needed to listen to libertarian ideas more, for what it's worth.

AuH20
05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
DeMint in his post-debate interview with Hannity kept saying that Conservatives needed to listen to libertarian ideas more, for what it's worth.

I like DeMint. He's one of the few I would have voted for President because of his thoughts on the Fed. Fed is my number one issue far and away. My list was basically the Pauls and then DeMint. I don't see anyone even close, even though I appreciate Gary Johnson's candor.

Brett85
05-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Demint didn't mention their views on the war on drugs or foreign policy issues. Maybe he secretly agrees with them on those issues.

Brett85
05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I have lost all respect for him when he voted to reauthorize the PATRIOT ACT a few months ago.

You should've known that Demint supported the Patriot Act before that. He voted to extend the Patriot Act every time it came up, including in 2010.