PDA

View Full Version : Contribution limit question

ronpaulitician
05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Do donations give a few weeks ago (forget when that money bomb was) count towards the total presidential campaign contributions?

RachelFaith
05-05-2011, 11:17 PM
2500 total per person, for the entire primary. If he wins, you can do another 2500 for the General. Joint checking, husband and wife, is 5000 and 5000.

Aldanga
05-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Donations to LibertyPAC don't count to the presidential campaign, if that's what you're asking.

ronpaulitician
05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Yes, that's what I needed to know. Cool, then I still have $150 to play with. Man, I just check my bank accounts and those LibertyPAC donations were all the way back in February. Have been working crazy hours for the last 6-8 weeks. But being able to contribute all the money I made makes it worth it.

Mani
05-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Yes, that's what I needed to know. Cool, then I still have $150 to play with. Man, I just check my bank accounts and those LibertyPAC donations were all the way back in February. Have been working crazy hours for the last 6-8 weeks. But being able to contribute all the money I made makes it worth it.

You are a true patriot!

harikaried
05-06-2011, 12:36 AM
2500 total per person, for the entire primary. If he wins, you can do another 2500 for the General. Joint checking, husband and wife, is 5000 and 5000.
Where did you get that about the primary and general having two separate limits?

"Individual may give" "To each candidate or candidate committee per election" "$2,500"
http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contriblimits.shtml

There didn't seem to be a joint donation option on the donation page, so it should just be done with the spouse's name?

harikaried
05-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Donations to LibertyPAC don't count to the presidential campaign
Additionally, it seems like the PAC limit is $5000 per individual per calendar year -- as opposed to the whole election cycle for a candidate.

IPSecure
05-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Throwing in my $0.02...
527 Groups Can Accept Unlimited Donations From People And Corporations.
Gingrich’s political group, American Solutions for Winning the Future has a major fund-raising advantage over the others, because – as a so-called 527 group – it can accept unlimited contributions from people and corporations.
Link (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36300.html#ixzz0m7A99QoO)
What will stop the Federal Reserve from funding these groups, with unlimited fiat currency?
We will need to form a 527 group in order to compete...

V3n
05-19-2011, 09:29 AM
I thought donations made during the Exploratory Committee phase did not count toward the Presidential Campaign. Does anyone know about that?

Is there any work being done on making us a Corporation so we can share in the unlimited donations? Is there another thread on that? (I did Search, but couldn't find it if there is) ..Seems like it would be right down the lane for the guy who made the Ron Paul Blimp a for-profit company..

tsai3904
05-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Where did you get that about the primary and general having two separate limits?

"Individual may give" "To each candidate or candidate committee per election" "$2,500"
http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contriblimits.shtml

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contrib.shtml#electionlimits

The limits on contributions to a candidate committee apply separately to each election in which the candidate participates. (Primaries, runoffs and general elections are considered separate elections, with separate contribution limits.)

harikaried
05-19-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contrib.shtml#electionlimits
Thanks. I guess the key word is $2500 per election where election is the specific primary or general.

Interesting that PAC donations for a candidate can count towards the $2500 limit. I wonder what happens if the money is marked "for the general election" so that it doesn't overlap with the primary limit.

"1. A contribution earmarked for a candidate through a political committee counts against the original contributor's limit for that candidate. In certain circumstances, the contribution may also count against the contributor's limit to the PAC. 11 CFR 110.6. See also 11 CFR 110.1(h).

tsai3904
05-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Interesting that PAC donations for a candidate can count towards the $2500 limit. I wonder what happens if the money is marked "for the general election" so that it doesn't overlap with the primary limit.

"1. A contribution earmarked for a candidate through a political committee counts against the original contributor's limit for that candidate. In certain circumstances, the contribution may also count against the contributor's limit to the PAC. 11 CFR 110.6. See also 11 CFR 110.1(h).

The candidates are aware of this so they structure their PAC's as to not be directly related to the candidate or campaign.

This is what Liberty PAC says on their website:

Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

The same goes for Campaign for Liberty.