PDA

View Full Version : Florida and Michigan (HUGE OPPORTUNITY?)

shadowhooch
10-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I heard that, due to these 2 states moving up their Primary dates, that the Democrats are boycotting them for the Primary elections. In other words, these states won't get delegates at the Democrat convention. And, consequently, the Democrats in those states are pissed as their votes don't really count.

HOW HUGE OF AN OPPORTUNITY COULD THIS BE? THE DEMOCRATS MAY HAVE JUST GIFT WRAPPED THOSE STATES FOR RON PAUL IF WE CAN CAPITALIZE ON IT.

Ron Paul is a natural alternative to voting for a Democrat since he is the only Republican against the war. Imagine if Ron Paul could get a huge Democrat turnout at those states to vote in the Republican primaries? We could sell it with, "make your vote count". All Democrats need to vote Ron Paul in the Republican primaries and end the war.

We could flood any advantage the other Republican candidates have in those states with our secret weapon of support from the Democrats. Boy would Rudy be surprised (since he's banking on winning Florida).

Questions....
1) Are these open primary states
2) If not, what is the party affiliation deadline
3) Residents of these states....what do you think? Is this viable? Is this as huge as I think it could be? Is anyone hitting this up yet?

Mani
10-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I heard that, due to these 2 states moving up their Primary dates, that the Democrats are boycotting them for the Primary elections. In other words, these states won't get delegates at the Democrat convention. And, consequently, the Democrats in those states are pissed as their votes don't really count.

HOW HUGE OF AN OPPORTUNITY COULD THIS BE?

Ron Paul is a natural alternative to voting for a Democrat. Imagine if Ron Paul could get a huge Democrat turnout at those states to vote in the Republican primaries? We could sell it with, "make your vote count". Vote Ron Paul in the primaries and end the war.

We could flood any advantage the other Republican candidates have in those states with our secret weapon of support from the Democrats. Boy would Rudy be surprised (since he's banking on winning Florida).

Questions....
3) Residents of these states....what do you think? Is this viable? Is this as huge as I think it could be? Is anyone hitting this up yet?

1) Closed
2) 30 days
3) It's worthy of discussion.

pcosmar
10-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Michigan is an Open Primary.

Many Democrats are unhappy with our state elected officials (mostly Democrat).
We have the highest unemployment in the country (even higher in my area.)
The Democrats just raised taxes AGAIN.

Ron Paul looks good here.

shadowhooch
10-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Here are some articles spelling out what's happening.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN0943600520071009

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/02/State/Democrats_boycott_Flo.shtml

http://www.miamiherald.com/516/story/276702.html

http://www.itsyourtimes.com/?q=node/3223

Sniff, sniff. I smell a huge amount of potential Ron Paul voters. This could be a landslide if we mobilized these ticked off Democrats to vote for Ron Paul.

pcosmar
10-26-2007, 04:30 PM
I have gotten a couple, they like the message and don't trust Hillery.
There were also a couple converts at Mackinac Island.
And Dr Paul was speaking to the Arab American community in Dearborn today.

brumans
10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
The only top-tier on the Michigan ballot for Democrats is Hillary.

jgmaynard
10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
What's is the feeling of the people of Michigan about the war? I would think that if they are largely anti-Iraq-war, going head-to-head with Hillary in ads about her support of it could reap great benefits. :)

JM

brumans
10-26-2007, 04:36 PM
What's is the feeling of the people of Michigan about the war? I would think that if they are largely anti-Iraq-war, going head-to-head with Hillary in ads about her support of it could reap great benefits. :)

JM

There is tons of support for Ron Paul in Michigan. He definitely has a chance to win here.

erowe1
10-26-2007, 05:27 PM
There is tons of support for Ron Paul in Michigan. He definitely has a chance to win here.

He'll be in the hunt. Michigan is also not a winner-take-all state. Each of its congressional districts is winner-take-all, with 3 convention delegates per district, plus an additional number (15 I think) for the winner of the state. So even if he comes in second or third there, and manages to win some of the districts, then it will give him a boost.

jgmaynard
10-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Yeah, I can feel from here how much strength there is for Ron in Michigan - I just got two new RLOVEutionaries on board with the 2nd part of the Ann Arbor speech.

My question was specifically about the war though - Given the open primary, I'm wondering if we can target Hillary's flipflopping on the war to bring home the anti-war crowd from the Ds to Ron.

JM

Johnnybags
10-26-2007, 05:37 PM
If he hammers the thought that your social security check is being stolen back thru the insidious inflation tax, and something feels wrong, because it is, he has a chance. The snowbirds will normally vote for an establishment repub. He needs to be able to explain it in laymans terms and needs tons of young volunteers to whack the over 55 community.

koob
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
IF michigan even has a primary. the democrats may have a caucus instead, and the GOP will go straight to convention. . .

but it's a good point if we do have a primary (which i hope we do).

freedominnumbers
10-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Michigan is an Open Primary.

Many Democrats are unhappy with our state elected officials (mostly Democrat).
We have the highest unemployment in the country (even higher in my area.)
The Democrats just raised taxes AGAIN.

Ron Paul looks good here.

I think we should make Michigan the free state project.
We can all move there and buy a house for like 5K a pop.
If it doesn't work we can tear them down and sell the materials for more than we paid.

Adamsa
10-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Just say Ron will get them out immediately while Hillary will wait around for years doing little to nothing.

Sidestreamer
11-21-2007, 06:56 PM

HOW HUGE OF AN OPPORTUNITY COULD THIS BE? THE DEMOCRATS MAY HAVE JUST GIFT WRAPPED THOSE STATES FOR RON PAUL IF WE CAN CAPITALIZE ON IT.

Ron Paul is a natural alternative to voting for a Democrat since he is the only Republican against the war. Imagine if Ron Paul could get a huge Democrat turnout at those states to vote in the Republican primaries? We could sell it with, "make your vote count". All Democrats need to vote Ron Paul in the Republican primaries and end the war.

Questions....
To answer your questions:
1) no, it's closed.
2) I believe it's about 30 days before the election
3) It's not goign to be easy, but you know what? I'm one of those Democrats who did just that and I didn't even need to be recruited. Registered Republican 2 months ago and I'm a flaming RINO for Paul right now, lol. He's the only one against the war in Iraq and by default he's the only one that I could vote for in the primary, unless it's a neck-and-neck between Guiliani and someone like Fred Thompson or Mitt Romney, in which I'll just make sure the social con doesn't make it.

Don't expect us to follow along after February, though. I think his economic policy is disastrous, and I don't see how he could be called a libertarian when he wants gay marriage and abortion banned at the state level, opposing the amendments and federal abortion bans only because it's done from Capitol Hill instead of a state capitol.

amakris
11-21-2007, 07:05 PM
I assure you, Michigan is an *open* primary.

skinzterpswizfan
11-21-2007, 07:06 PM
To answer your questions:
1) no, it's closed.
2) I believe it's about 30 days before the election
3) It's not goign to be easy, but you know what? I'm one of those Democrats who did just that and I didn't even need to be recruited. Registered Republican 2 months ago and I'm a flaming RINO for Paul right now, lol. He's the only one against the war in Iraq and by default he's the only one that I could vote for in the primary, unless it's a neck-and-neck between Guiliani and someone like Fred Thompson or Mitt Romney, in which I'll just make sure the social con doesn't make it.

Don't expect us to follow along after February, though. I think his economic policy is disastrous, and I don't see how he could be called a libertarian when he wants gay marriage and abortion banned at the state level, opposing the amendments and federal abortion bans only because it's done from Capitol Hill instead of a state capitol.

Eh, as long as you get Ron the nomination you'll give him a few more months to win y'all over. :)