PDA

View Full Version : Montana Gov. Schweitzer: With bin Laden dead, U.S. should leave Afghanistan

ExPatPaki
05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Schweitzer: With bin Laden dead, U.S. should leave Afghanistan (http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_a463f892-7506-11e0-adf3-001cc4c03286.html)

Along with millions of others, Schweitzer watched the coverage of reaction to the momentous event. The raucous celebrations around the country troubled him.

After all, he said, the nearly 3,000 deaths on Sept. 11 that launched the hunt for bin Laden are an unthinkable tragedy, perhaps best marked by somber reflection.

"I don't believe we ought to be dancing in the streets and waving American flags," he said. "... This is not like winning a hockey game," he said. "We killed an evil individual."

nobody's_hero
05-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't know about his policies within the state of Montana, but Schweitzer is one of the few remaining democrats who understand what a republican form of government is, when dealing with the Feds.

ItsTime
05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Then he should order his national guard home.

Vessol
05-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Schweitzer quoted his friend, the late Walter Breuning of Great Falls, who was the world's oldest man when he died last month at age 114.

The last time he saw Breuning - "a hell of an American" - the two joshed about running for president, the governor said. Breuning, said Schweitzer, straightened his tie and allowed as to how he might consider the idea. As president, Schweitzer asked him, what would he do?

"He said we had no business going in there and that we should leave," Schweitzer said.

And Schweitzer heartily concurred.

"A pox on all their houses," he said. "Load up. Leave. There's nothing to win. I don't even know what winning is there."

Gov. Schweitzer has his faults, but he's overall better than most.