PDA

View Full Version : How to respond to bin Laden's death

Violet Asparagus
05-03-2011, 06:46 AM
How do you think the news about bin Laden's death could influence the elections?

What is the right response for libertarians like Ron Paul or Gary Johnson?

#1: To emphasize, that it's police work, intelligence and special forces that are the most effective against terrorists, and there's no need (and no money) for tens of thousands of regular troops on the ground doing nation building

#2: To remind voters, that bin Laden's goal was to take the US down any way possible. With or without him, the US really gets weaker every day because of the policies of the govt. The military is spread thin and unable to protect the border, debt threatens the solvency of the govt, western values such as the right to privacy and a fair trial are threatened. His death doesn't really solve any of these problems.

#3: This operation was more like a wasted chance than a success. The man who probably had more intel on the international terrorist network than anyone else was just shot in the head. His human shield was shot too. If that was the case for police operations, every hostage taking would end up in a bloodshed. That someone refuses to surrender, doesn't mean there are no other ways to overpower him and get his knowledge.

I think the second argument is the most digestible for the general public.

The first has a weak point: some could argue, that the information about bin Laden's whereabouts was extracted from Afghan prisoners through torture, so the military presence (and torture) was needed.

And the third is kind of useless now, after the govt said they wanted to get him alive. First reports stated, that the Seals were ordered to kill only, but now the govt has an excuse.

Any suggestions?

fisharmor
05-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Well, allow me to start the radical response.

#1 I reject the premise that a free society needs police, intelligence, and special forces units. I assert that these are impediments to liberty.

#2 I mostly agree. Welcome to the radical camp. I find it interesting that where you overlap with anarchists is in your estimation the most digestible argument for the public.

#3 Depends how you define "success". It was a "success" in that the birth certificate issue has been completely glossed over. It was a "success" in that BHO now actually stands a chance in the general next year. If anyone thinks that "success" was ever defined in any other terms, he is mistaken.
"If that was the case for police operations, every hostage taking would end up in a bloodshed."
Every police encounter in this country IS a hostage taking situation, and a lot of them end up in bloodshed. It is the reason you will find many here who wish the concept of police didn't even exist.
You need not to confuse policing, military exercises, and defense.
One of those is always properly handled by a militia (which can also do the other two in a pinch).
The other two are practically never needed at all.