PDA

View Full Version : Police State on full display at Western Illinois Univ - riot gear,sounds weapons,tear gas

devil21
05-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Not a peep from the media. Looks like a training exercise almost?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLn4p_h4xUE&feature=player_embedded

belian78
05-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Looks exactly like what happened when I was at SIU in Carbondale when they opened up the campus for Halloween. For a month beforehand all the local papers were hyping up the possibility of riots, and if police would need to be out to 'keep the peace'. Which did nothing but gear students toward that very outcome, naturally. You tell college kids that there's going to be riots over Halloween weekend for a month, and they are going to be psyched up about it.

Friday night went off w/o a hitch. Students piled into the strip when the bars closed, like any other weekend to get tacos and other foodstuffs the vendors always had ready. Saturday was totally different. For starters the vendors weren't out on the street at closing time, so that was a red flag for me.

Cops blocked off both ends of the strip before the bars let out, and within a half hour it looked like the army had shown up. Tears canisters started getting shot off shortly after that, and that's when all hell broke loose. Up to that point most people were figuring out where they were going to party, or commenting on the police presence. Once the gas hit, everybody was everywhere. The cops in full riot gear spread out from the bar district spraying gas and shooting canisters at anyone that looked at them. I was in a house that had a gas canister shot right at the back door, filling the entire basement with that shit, and there was like 20 people in that basement.

It was a surreal night for sure, it was like a warzone trying to get home and not run into a gas cloud from one block to the next. The riots? Yeah, once the gestapo started spraying us all, they got their riots then. Had they just left things as they were, probably would have been like any other holiday weekend.