PDA

View Full Version : Riot Police use LRAD and pepper spray on WIU Students

Liberty Rebellion
05-02-2011, 11:55 PM
I did a search for this and didn't come up with anything. Sorry, if it has been posted somewhere on the forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKv-5t0t4E

Plenty of video here
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wheeler+block+party+2011&aq=f

James Madison
05-03-2011, 12:26 AM
If only they would have been in front of the White House while chanting 'Yuu Ess Ayy! Yuu Ess Ayy!'...wouldn't have hapened. :collins:

Indy Vidual
05-03-2011, 02:17 AM
+1984 :(
OMFG, did you see that?
How much longer before the live bullets fly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings):
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kK18CpDhHKM/SMUGF0iCUeI/AAAAAAAABNc/uEiEQ4K6QrQ/s400/kent_state_massacre.jpg

Texan4Life
05-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Wtf

S.Shorland
05-03-2011, 03:04 AM
There is something Pythonesque in this.Deafness will be a badge of honour among revolutionaries.Picture a planning session with everything having to be written down amidst the cacophany of badly tuned hearing aids.

I'm assuming there is no 'riot act' in America? In Britain,if the police assert that a riot is in progress,an officer will read the riot act and then you have had fair warning to disperse or suffer the consequences.To say there was a riot in progress in the video is laughable.

cindy25
05-03-2011, 03:32 AM
+1984 :(
OMFG, did you see that?
How much longer before the live bullets fly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings):
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kK18CpDhHKM/SMUGF0iCUeI/AAAAAAAABNc/uEiEQ4K6QrQ/s400/kent_state_massacre.jpg

the difference now is that after Kent State the MSM, and the general public supported the students; now the MSM and the sheep support the police.

Tinnuhana
05-03-2011, 03:55 AM
Wow! I've gone to adapted P.E. conferences there. They have handicapped sports teams, even.
Sounds like maybe the authorities thought this was a good bunch of guinea pigs to try out their equipment on.
Good thing there's a YAL chapter there. Students could be joining in droves soon.

belian78
05-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Looks like I posted my anecdote in the wrong thread. LOL. It's about this very thing happening at SIU in Carbondale.

hillbilly123069
05-03-2011, 11:48 AM
"A witness says police have been checking I.D.'s for underage drinking all day, but then started using mace and telling people to go indoors."
This is practice. You'll read there were a lot of "contributing agencies" assisting in the effort to bust up this party. This in itself states they were gathered. I think they were just trying out there new equipment. The law around illinois it seems is trained to intimidate and bully. That is, unless you are upfront you know your rights. I think this is not something that they will care about much longer. I could see this being the reason problems escalated. Someone probably knew their constitutional rights and got maced for it. Time to raise some hell with some politicians. Republicans just took the majority in Illinois for the 1st time in a while. They're looking to stay in office. Don't think they'll care to hear about their votes getting the beat down.
http://www.centralillinoisnewscenter.com/news/local/Riot-Breaks-Out-Near-Western-Illinois-University-121036644.html

belian78
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately, the repubs here in IL love em some authoritarian practices.

hillbilly123069
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I would add that this was not on the local springfieild news channel 20 WICS. I just searched the the sight and NOTHING! No story at all about it. I am not surprised cuz a few years ago, some local politicians were caught up in a drug sting. WICS would not release their names. Decatur's WAND 17 did. This is the most corrupt state I know. New York? LOL.
Posting on Facebook. This needs to be advertised. Why do you think it's not in the news? 1 station in illinois is all I can find that aired this.

JVParkour
05-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Wow this is ridiculous.

hillbilly123069
05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
New info found. Quincy Il's WGEM also reported the story. Their's differs from the Peoria's WEEK station. WGEM reports that police were called to the scene. Not that they were patrolling the crowds.

AGRP
05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
How are they supposed to clear the street?

Pericles
05-03-2011, 03:26 PM
the difference now is that after Kent State the MSM, and the general public supported the students; now the MSM and the sheep support the police.
I was just a kid then, so my memory may be faulty. Kent State was what turned the MSM and a substantial percentage of the general public against the war. The 1968 riots had the MSM and public firmly on the side of the police.

S.Shorland
05-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm assuming that as this was a regular yearly gathering that it took place on property rented by the students?It's unlikely that in a town of twenty thousand that eleven to thirteen thousand students would be randomly housed among non student suburbs.If the gathering was on private property,what right would the police have to 'clear the street' when they were 'on the lawn'?

How are they supposed to clear the street?

BlackTerrel
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Holy crap this is highly disturbing. The part where the cops march in lock step freaks me out.

pcosmar
05-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Who are the terrorists again?

:(

Indy Vidual
05-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I would add that this was not on the local springfieild news channel 20 WICS. I just searched the the sight and NOTHING! No story at all about it. I am not surprised cuz a few years ago, some local politicians were caught up in a drug sting. WICS would not release their names. Decatur's WAND 17 did. This is the most corrupt state I know. New York? LOL.
Posting on Facebook. This needs to be advertised. Why do you think it's not in the news? 1 station in illinois is all I can find that aired this.

Wow this is ridiculous.

Who are the terrorists again?

:(

Holy crap this is highly disturbing. The part where the cops march in lock step freaks me out.

+1984

AGRP
05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
The officers who walked on their lawns/property should be arrested for trespassing.

Matt Collins
05-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I think a FOIA against the local PD should be requested to determine who exactly was involved (which agencies), why, and if there were any plans. I predict lawsuits will come out of this.

hillbilly123069
05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
bump

aGameOfThrones
05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
The officers who walked on their lawns/property should be arrested for trespassing.

http://www.anunews.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/aa-police-poster-you-want-some-of-this-good-one.jpg

teacherone
05-05-2011, 08:58 AM
i watched many more videos to get context.

the block party was not all on private property; it filled the street.

the kids were tearing down stop-signs and throwing them on the bonfires they started with other people's bicycles.

when public property began being destroyed and the atmosphere turned from party --> riot, the cops showed up.

when the cops showed up and stood in the street they were immediately assaulted with beer bottles.

glad no one was seriously hurt.

nateerb
05-05-2011, 09:19 AM

the kids were tearing down stop-signs and throwing them on the bonfires they started with other people's bicycles.

when public property began being destroyed and the atmosphere turned from party --> riot, the cops showed up.

when the cops showed up and stood in the street they were immediately assaulted with beer bottles.

^ This. As well, I have an acquaintance down there who spoke of this yesterday.

Turns me off guys. Really turns me off. Yeah, I think cops are generally out of control, but if RPer's are going to spin crap to suit their agenda like friggen CNN and have their "senior" members call for FOIA and lawsuits (shame on you Collins, dig a bit sometimes) I really have to assess how much energy I put into this campaign this time. Seems like few people here have learned to take to high road since 07-08.

Time to log out of here for awhile, again.

And that $100 I pledged for today is going to be used to try to spin the jackpot on IGT Megabucks... fuggit.

Matt Collins
05-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I think cops are generally out of control, but if RPer's are going to spin crap to suit their agenda like friggen CNN and have their "senior" members call for FOIA and lawsuits (shame on you Collins, dig a bit sometimes) I really have to assess how much energy I put into this campaign this time. Seems like few people here have learned to take to high road since 07-08.

Time to log out of here for awhile, again.

And that $100 I pledged for today is going to be used to try to spin the jackpot on IGT Megabucks... fuggit.This is one of the most ignorant posts on RPF I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

hillbilly123069
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Several people said the law was there throughout the the event checking ID's. Still, people should have been keeping their friends in check. Everyone knows who the dumba$$ drinker is in their own circle.

hillbilly123069
05-10-2011, 09:58 AM
This doesnt come up on regular search. Had to go page by page to find it. Odd.