PDA

View Full Version : Could Ron Paul be Bob Doled?

NCGOPer_for_Paul
05-02-2011, 01:47 PM
or Goldwatered?

If this is the wrong forum, please move it.

I haven't posted here in a while, so not completely familiar with the subforums.

Anyway, I was thinking that the "leaders" of the Republican Party, and there aren't a whole lot of them, might sit this one out, as they may perceive Obama to be too strong in 2012. Ron Paul even said that. That leads me to wondering if, the potential candidates dry up and Ron is the last one standing. While that would be a good thing for us libertarian-minded Republicans, would the party do what they would need to do to help in the General Election, or would the party do what they did to Bob Dole and Barry Goldwater?

The thing is, winning the nomination is not as difficult as it appears. Every candidate is terribly flawed.

Mitt Romney: How can the Republican party nominate this guy if they want to be credible on fighting Obamacare? There's no way he could wiggle his way out of that. I'm not even sure he's even popular enough among neo-cons to take the nomination anyway. There's even a chance he doesn't run once he analyzes the lay of the land. He'll always have the Mormon vote, and the people who think he understands business, but it's not enough to overcome the credibility gap.

Mike Huckabee: A genuinely decent man that has no business as this party's nominee. He has the Christian right, the south, and not much else. If he runs, he's probably the biggest threat, because he clears the field if he were to win Iowa and South Carolina. How does he explain some of his non-conservative positions to the Tea Party wing though? How can he beat Obama? There's no chance.

Sarah Palin: Her endorsement is worth more than her potential candidacy. She would be hammered by the media over everything she said and didn't say.

Donald Trump: You have to be f**king kidding. While he may say some things that fire up a base, he's not all that politically savvy. He's never actually done anything as a political leader, although he's probably be involved quite deeply in some of his projects. I can't see this guy catching on with enough real Republicans to actually win the nomination. Plus Donald Trump is all about Donald Trump. When it came to actually leading a country, unless his ego allowed it, he'd be a collossal failure.

Newt Gingrich: Hypocrite. Liar. Cheater. Global warming apologist. Also, much like Trump, Newt is all about himself. While he has a base of support, it's no stronger than Ron's, and probably less deep when actually pressed. How can this guy win a nomination?

Tim Pawlenty: He'll be the propped up mainstream choice until something comes out about him. There's something not Presidential about him.

Chris Christie, Mitch Daniels, Allen West, Marco Rubio, et.al. Rush, Beck--THEY AREN'T GOING TO RUN, because they aren't going to win. They are 2016 candidates, if the GOP does not win in 2012.

Rick Santorum: This cycle's Brownback.

Herman Cain: This is the establishment's second choice, although the man doesn't have a prayer.

Not even going to mention Johnson, Bachmann, etc.

The question becomes, will the GOP accept Ron Paul's desire to be the nominee in 2012, but won't do a lot to help?

I'm starting to see this as a likely scenario, then blame the Tea Parties and libertarians for failure if he doesn't win in 2012.

MikeStanart
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Don't forget about "Rand Paul" being a 2016 potential, which is why he's not running now.

Matt Collins
05-02-2011, 01:52 PM
It's possible that Obama may not be electable in which case the GOP may abandon the Presidential race this time around and instead focus on Senate races. Ron may win the nomination and end up being the Goldwater of 2012. That'll be great for the GOP, but unfortunately the PTB will then claim that our ideas are unelectable.

MN Patriot
05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
It's possible that Obama may not be electable in which case the GOP may abandon the Presidential race this time around and instead focus on Senate races. Ron may win the nomination and end up being the Goldwater of 2012. That'll be great for the GOP, but unfortunately the PTB will then claim that our ideas are unelectable.

Don't quite follow your thinking about Ron winning the nomination and the GOP abandon the Presidential race because Obama is unelectable. :confused:

I hate keep bringing this up, but I am adamant about it. This is yet another reason for the liberty movement to go third party. The Establishment doesn't want libertarian candidates in the Republican party. If the Libertarian Party were to run candidates for every office in the nation, and have a REAL strategy with credible candidates to get attention and votes, the Republican Party will become irrelevant while libertarian ideas are publicized.

Sure, the liberty movement might not win many elections at first, but sacrifices need to be made, and I say sacrifice the Establishment Republican Party, which doesn't differ that much from the Democrats on most issues anyway.

pcosmar
05-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Ron Paul ain't Bob Dole.

I don't remember any Bob Dole Revolution.