PDA

View Full Version : We shouldn't have killed Bin Laden

Ray
05-02-2011, 07:57 AM
We have to deal with Bin Laden the idea, not Bin Laden the man. Now he will live forever as a martyr.

Lawrence Wright on what true justice for Bin Laden would have been:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLORwm-j3Yo

jmdrake
05-02-2011, 08:37 AM
From the above video. "....I was asked by the CIA at one point to write a scenario, because I'm also a screenwriter, about what would we do if we caught Bin Laden".

Flashback to the Jessica Lynch story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/may/15/iraq.usa2

The American strategy was to concentrate on the visuals and to get a broad message out. Details - where helpful - followed behind. The key was to ensure the right television footage. The embedded reporters could do some of that. On other missions, the military used their own cameras, editing the film themselves and presenting it to broadcasters as ready-to-go pack ages. The Pentagon had been influenced by Hollywood producers of reality TV and action movies, notably Black Hawk Down.

Back in 2001, the man behind Black Hawk Down, Jerry Bruckheimer, had visited the Pentagon to pitch an idea. Bruckheimer and fellow producer Bertram van Munster, who masterminded the reality show Cops, suggested Profiles from the Front Line, a primetime television series following US forces in Afghanistan. They were after human stories told through the eyes of the soldiers. Van Munster's aim was to get close and personal. He said: "You can only get accepted by these people through chemistry. You have to have a bond with somebody. Only then will they let you in. What these guys are doing out there, these men and women, is just extraordinary. If you're a cheerleader of our point of view - that we deserve peace and that we deal with human dignity - then these guys are really going out on a limb and risking their own lives."

It was perfect reality TV, made with the active cooperation of Donald Rumsfeld and aired just before the Iraqi war. The Pentagon liked what it saw. "What Profiles does is given another in depth look at what forces are doing from the ground," says Whitman. "It provides a very human look at challenges that are presented when you are dealing in these very difficult situations." That approached was taken on and developed on the field of battle in Iraq.

The Pentagon has none of the British misgivings about its media operation. It is convinced that what worked with Jessica Lynch and with other episodes of this war will work even better in the future.

bwlibertyman
05-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I agree completely. It is also disheartening to see so many people praise the death/murder of the man. Okay he most likely was the head of all these things. He certainly gave video responses claiming responsibility. I would have liked him judged in a court room by his peers. Maybe there was no way of getting to him without killing him before any seals got wounded. That doesn't seem correct because the seals took his body. I assume since they have the body that they killed all his body guards. Let's not forget that this was murder and murder IS wrong. This man deserved a court hearing just like everyone else. I'm sick at seeing all these facebook statuses about how they're glad that he's dead. I would never wish death on anyone. I wouldn't especially when the man hadn't even had a court hearing. That's how I feel about this whole thing.

Ray
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Having him judged against his own standards and tried in a Sharia court would have been one of the only ways to start fixing the mess of his legacy.

jmdrake
05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Having him judged against his own standards and tried in a Sharia court would have been one of the only ways to start fixing the mess of his legacy.

Don't you get it? It's not about "fixing" the mess. It's about taking our freedoms. The terrorists hate us for our freedoms so our government must take our freedoms. Islam has little if anything to do with any of this.

pcosmar
05-02-2011, 09:29 AM

A trial would have been good.
Evidence presented and refuted and judged.

I think that is not in the interest of the Propagandists.

Teaser Rate
05-02-2011, 09:40 AM
We should have killed him 15 years ago. The world is a safer place without him and there's no reason why we should have risked missing our opportunity to get him.

pcosmar
05-02-2011, 09:54 AM
We should have killed him 15 years ago. The world is a safer place without him and there's no reason why we should have risked missing our opportunity to get him.
So you support State Sanctioned Murder ?
Murder for political gain ? Isn't that the very definition of terrorism?

What about the common courtesy of a trial.
And then there is the common decency of letting a family bury their dead.

Common courtesy and decency are totally lacking in this story. (as well as the truth)
(and folks think I'm rude )
:(

Teaser Rate
05-02-2011, 10:00 AM
So you support State Sanctioned Murder ?
Murder for political gain ? Isn't that the very definition of terrorism?

What about the common courtesy of a trial.
And then there is the common decency of letting a family bury their dead.

Common courtesy and decency are totally lacking in this story. (as well as the truth)
(and folks think I'm rude )

Osama Bin Laden had admitted to being behind the murder of thousands of civilians and remained a potential threat to millions.

Not killing him at the first opportunity we got would have been irresponsible.

Kregisen
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
The reports I've seen say Osama was shooting at the seals when they shot him.....there was no taking him alive. They probably didn't even know it was him until he was dead. Case closed.

chudrockz
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Osama Bin Laden had admitted to being behind the murder of thousands of civilians and remained a potential threat to millions.

I take it then you support vigilante justice for, among many others, George W. Bush and Barack H. Obama.

pcosmar
05-02-2011, 10:19 AM

NO, he did not.
He stated that he was pleased. He admitted nothing.
Propagandists have twisted it around for years.

The FBI investigation concluded that there was NO evidence of his involvement in 9/11.

cswake
05-02-2011, 10:21 AM

In that case, anyone who admits to committing a crime in the U.S. can just go ahead and bypass the legal system and go straight to verdict! :eek:

Gaddafi Duck
05-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Tube or it didn't happen.

Pericles
05-02-2011, 10:29 AM
A trial would have been good.
Evidence presented and refuted and judged.

I think that is not in the interest of the Propagandists.

That ^

A. Havnes
05-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Tube or it didn't happen.

LOL! Good one!

No, he never admitted to being behind 9/11. If he had, his page on the FBI website would have had him listed as being wanted for the 9/11 attacks, but he was never wanted for that. To give you the benefit of the doubt, there were other tapes allegedly sent by bin Laden, but in one it's pretty obvious it's not him (it was even confirmed to be a fraud), and another features a man who claims to be bin Laden but is speaking the wrong language! As a linguist, I think it's just messed up that so many news reports this video as legit when it clearly isn't, and is another that has been confirmed a fake.

So, no, the actual man never did admit to anything.

Wren
05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/images/2/24/Worldrecordosama.jpg

RyanRSheets
05-02-2011, 11:14 AM

I contend the exact opposite. Dead people can't talk. Bin Laden would be worth far more as a captive than a corpse.

Matt Collins
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhXt4BjLL0g

nobody's_hero
05-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Don't worry OP. My bet is that someone leaks that this whole situation with OBL's 'death' was a farce and the government will have to make an announcement that it was misled but is still tracking leads on the whereabouts of Bin Laden.

pcosmar
05-02-2011, 11:29 AM
What Are You Celebrating?
Gaaaah !
WTF

And what about the open container laws, public drunkenness,and other shit they use when they wish.
but not when they don't.

Matt, that was a truly disgusting video
on so many levels.

specsaregood
05-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Bin Laden would be worth far more as a captive than a corpse.

Indeed. Put him in a cage at the Central Park Zoo, imagine the tourism $$$.