PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Inquirer: CRAZY rates!!!

skiingff
10-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I called up the Philadelphia Inquirer to get ad quotes to advertise the Philly rally and promote Dr. Paul with a quarter page b&w ad.

I talked to Ellen Eckstein, who quoted me $21,294 for a Mon-Sat ad and $29,358 for a Sun ad. Guaranteed placement was 20% MORE, or $25,552 for a Mon-Sat ad; $35,229 for a Sun ad. The circulation of the Inquirer is 352,593 Daily; 688,670 Sunday.

I also talked to Nancy Park with the Washington Post. The circulation of the Post is 699,130 Daily; 929,921 Sunday (350,000 more on Mon-Sat and 240,000 more on Sun.)
The Washington Post was willing to quote us the retail rates instead of the political advocacy rates; which are higher. FOR GUARANTEED PLACEMENT on A-2 or A-3 it would cost $13,899 M-Sat or $19,794 Sunday for the exact same ad. These are pretty damn good rates for guaranteed A-2 or A-3 placement in one of the nation's largest and most influential newspapers. What do you guys think about running the Reagan/military ad about Ron Paul in the Post on say, Thursday before the rally? As you know, the Federal Gov't is the largest consumer of goods & services in the DC area, EVERYONE is Military, and everyone reads the Post (highest market concentration of any newspaper in the United States). We could shuttle people from D.C. to Philly on buses, the Meetup groups here are large and so is the military presence, while at the same time STIRRING THINGS UP on Capitol Hill and in the political complex in D.C.

slantedview
10-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I think the military ad would be good for the post, for the reasons you mentioned. I also think it should be modified somewhere to include a brief snippet about the rally though, if you're going to run it pre-rally.

skiingff
10-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I think the military ad would be good for the post, for the reasons you mentioned. I also think it should be modified somewhere to include a brief snippet about the rally though, if you're going to run it pre-rally.

Yea, it would include a Box about the rally and mention how awesome it's going to be. Since the theme of the rally is veterans/foreign policy and the ad is about veterans/foreign policy. That's why it would work perfectly. We need to bus people up to Philly from D.C.

The Inquirer lady told me she liked Ron Paul :rolleyes: I felt like saying, why are you quoting me twice as much for a newspaper with 1/2 as many readers?

The Post is giving us an extremely discounted rate. We should jump on this. For a circulation of 700,000 daily and readership of 2+ million daily. $13,800 is not bad at all, especially for guaranteed A-2 or A-3 placement. And for the reasons I mentioned, I believe a good idea.

Beerhall Agitator
10-26-2007, 12:58 PM
This is a good idea. Let's get it organized with a chip-in and a sticky, maybe even a website.

Eric21ND
10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
We can do this. What the heck is up with the Inquirer?? geez

brumans
10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
That's too damn expensive. Our money can be better used elsewhere.

parke
10-26-2007, 01:04 PM
We need more supporters with deep pockets to get on board. If I were a rich man...

Ridiculous
10-26-2007, 01:04 PM
I called up the Philadelphia Inquirer to get ad quotes to advertise the Philly rally and promote Dr. Paul with a quarter page b&w ad.

I talked to Ellen Eckstein, who quoted me $21,294 for a Mon-Sat ad and $29,358 for a Sun ad. Guaranteed placement was 20% MORE, or $25,552 for a Mon-Sat ad; $35,229 for a Sun ad. The circulation of the Inquirer is 352,593 Daily; 688,670 Sunday.

I also talked to Nancy Park with the Washington Post. The circulation of the Post is 699,130 Daily; 929,921 Sunday (350,000 more on Mon-Sat and 240,000 more on Sun.)
The Washington Post was willing to quote us the retail rates instead of the political advocacy rates; which are higher. FOR GUARANTEED PLACEMENT on A-2 or A-3 it would cost $13,899 M-Sat or $19,794 Sunday for the exact same ad. These are pretty damn good rates for guaranteed A-2 or A-3 placement in one of the nation's largest and most influential newspapers. What do you guys think about running the Reagan/military ad about Ron Paul in the Post on say, Thursday before the rally? As you know, the Federal Gov't is the largest consumer of goods & services in the DC area, EVERYONE is Military, and everyone reads the Post (highest market concentration of any newspaper in the United States). We could shuttle people from D.C. to Philly on buses, the Meetup groups here are large and so is the military presence, while at the same time STIRRING THINGS UP on Capitol Hill and in the political complex in D.C.

It is considered unprofessional to post advertising rates quotes that people give you, FYI. I would remove the money amounts. They don't post the rates so they can change them on the fly as needed.

For example, if the The Washington Post was willing to quote you retail rates instead of the political advocacy rates then they are doing you a favor. You shouldn't let everyone know about it.

tmg19103
10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Consider The Bulletin, which is owned by a pro-gun Republican and has had a few pro RP articles and a lot of good RP letters-to-the-editor.

This paper just started up in place of the old Philadelphia Evening Bulletin and sells in the evening for only 25 cents. Readership is small campared to the Inquirer or Daily News, but realize Philly is 80% Democrat and The Bulletin is the one paper conservatives and Republicans like to read.

Will not get to nearly as many people, but those who see the ad will have a greater chance of being interested than those reading the Inky/Daily and the rates should really be inexpensive.

Also, and with cheap rates, I'd consider advertising in the student papers for UPenn, Drexel, LaSalle and Temple. Temple alone has like 30,000 students. Penn about 18,000. All within three miles of Independence Mall. I know college students often don't vote because their registration is messed up from their home state, but outside of Penn you will have a lot of in-state students at the other colleges, and if one point is to pack in supporters for the rally, this is a cheaper way to do it. An ad about the rally and getting out of Iraq and having no draft would go over real well with the student crowd.

www.thebulletin.us

skiingff
10-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Consider The Bulletin, which is owned by a pro-gun Republican and has had a few pro RP articles and a lot of good RP letters-to-the-editor.

This paper just started up in place of the old Philadelphia Evening Bulletin and sells in the evening for only 25 cents. Readership is small campared to the Inquirer or Daily News, but realize Philly is 80% Democrat and The Bulletin is the one paper conservatives and Republicans like to read.

Will not get to nearly as many people, but those who see the ad will have a greater chance of being interested than those reading the Inky/Daily and the rates should really be inexpensive.

Also, and with cheap rates, I'd consider advertising in the student papers for UPenn, Drexel, LaSalle and Temple. Temple alone has like 30,000 students. Penn about 18,000. All within three miles of Independence Mall. I know college students often don't vote because their registration is messed up from their home state, but outside of Penn you will have a lot of in-state students at the other colleges, and if one point is to pack in supporters for the rally, this is a cheaper way to do it. An ad about the rally and getting out of Iraq and having no draft would go over real well with the student crowd.

www.thebulletin.us

Good idea!!!!

Also, what about an ATTACK AD on Guiliani & Romney on page A-3 of the Post?

With a big headline that reads:
D R A F T D O D G E R

Check this Out:
http://www.militaryforpaul.com/whynot.html

I would make up/use a new PAC to be more anonymous if I did that.

This could possibly stir major media attention and cause Giuliani to go on the defensive.

me3
10-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't think attacking other candidate helps. Ron Paul has a name recognition problem. The message sells itself when people hear about him.

ghemminger
10-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Test

skiingff
10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
k we'll shoot for these newspapers then.

www.thebulletin.us

unklejman
10-26-2007, 03:44 PM
We need more supporters with deep pockets to get on board. If I were a rich man...

Yabba dibby dibby dibby dum.. all day long I'd .... nevermind.

walt
10-26-2007, 04:20 PM
this is a poor use of resources.

The local arts weekly could hit our target of young people much better, with a bigger ad for much less.

davidhperry
10-26-2007, 04:58 PM
If you work the PR angle right, they will cover the rally anyway (maybe even some coverage a few days prior) and you won't need to spend thousands of dollars on one ad. Organizing rallies is expensive enough as it is and advertising in the newspaper is pretty far down on the totem poll of priorities. Ad money is better spent on the radio. We ran an ad in Nashville for about three days for around $1,200.

ronpaulyourmom
10-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Since the Ron Paul campaign seems to be targeting mostly older more traditional voters with their own campaigns, I really think the grassroots should reorganize around mobilizing the youth demographic. There's still a ton of people out there that we haven't reached, and they've been very receptive to us overall.

We should focus on getting youths who don't glue themselves to the internet enough to know about Ron Paul. I say forget standard newpapers and radio all-together, we need a new approach.

ronpaulyourmom
10-26-2007, 07:24 PM
this is a poor use of resources.

The local arts weekly could hit our target of young people much better, with a bigger ad for much less.

Agreed.

Delaware
10-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Try the Delaware News Journal, it's circulation is probably very high and its fairly close to Philadelphia (around 30 minutes). There are about 1 million people who live in the distribution area.

www.delawareonline.com

LibertyEagle
10-26-2007, 08:00 PM
It is considered unprofessional to post advertising rates quotes that people give you, FYI. I would remove the money amounts. They don't post the rates so they can change them on the fly as needed.

For example, if the The Washington Post was willing to quote you retail rates instead of the political advocacy rates then they are doing you a favor. You shouldn't let everyone know about it.

Well, Ridiculous, you just quoted him. So, why don't you start the process and delete the quote from your post. :rolleyes:

LibertyEagle
10-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Since the Ron Paul campaign seems to be targeting mostly older more traditional voters with their own campaigns, I really think the grassroots should reorganize around mobilizing the youth demographic. There's still a ton of people out there that we haven't reached, and they've been very receptive to us overall.

We should focus on getting youths who don't glue themselves to the internet enough to know about Ron Paul. I say forget standard newpapers and radio all-together, we need a new approach.

What do you mean, "reorganize"? The "youth" are about the only people I have seen the grassroots go after. We have done very little to attract middle-aged and older people and certainly not those who are not on the internet.

RonPaul_Has_2_first_names
10-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I talked to Ellen Eckstein, who quoted me $21,294 for a Mon-Sat ad

Well there you go, look at her name, she's jewish, now you know why it's expensive. :D

ronpaulyourmom
10-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I know this has been discussed before but maybe we should re-examine the informercial approach. I know there's a lack of high quality video out there but we might be able to dig up enough for a 30-minute spot for the late night cable crowd.

There's probably some James Bond marathon / Spike TV types out there waiting to be reached still.

max
10-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Spend this money in New Hampshire, Iowa, and Nevada....

think strategically people..NH must be won...and can be won...

That will help us in ALL states...rallies and fundraisers are great anyplace....but precious financial resources for ad buys belong in NH...

me3
10-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't know how good the infomercial could be since Chuck Norris has already put his endorsement elsewhere...

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5836/ros1e0135cm8.jpg

Maybe we could get Liv the Ron Paul Girl to do it though. I'm sure she would be a hit at 2:30 AM :D