PDA

View Full Version : Letters of Marque and Reprisal for OBL by Ron Paul

Matt Collins
05-01-2011, 10:31 PM
It would've been a hell of a lot cheaper: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h107-3076&tab=summary

Paul4Prez
05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I hope he reminds people of this when the question comes up at the debate on Thursday....

nayjevin
05-01-2011, 11:49 PM
September 11 Marque and Reprisal Act of 2001 - Authorizes and requests the President to issue letters of marque and reprisal to commission privately armed and equipped persons and entities to seize outside of the United States the person and property of Osama bin Laden, of any al Qaeda co-conspirator, and any conspirator with Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda who are responsible for the terrorist attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001, including any similar planned acts against the United States in the future. Authorizes the President to place a bounty, from amounts appropriated on September 14, 2001, in the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Recovery from and Response to Terrorists Attacks on the United States or from private sources, for the capture, dead or alive, of Osama bin Laden or any other al Qaeda conspirator responsible for the act of air piracy upon the United States on September 11, 2001.

Problem is the proof of responsibility part - and the potential of being accountable for wrongful death.

heavenlyboy34
05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
It would've been a hell of a lot cheaper: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h107-3076&tab=summary

Yes, but, but, but....the boys at the DOD wouldn't have gotten to play with all those exploding toys! ;) :P

Matt Collins
05-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Yes, but, but, but....the boys at the DOD wouldn't have gotten to play with all those exploding toys! ;) :P

But wars are good for the economy. Look at all of those "defense" jobs the government created over the last decade. Just imagine how bad off we would've been if the government hadn't had helped us by making all that work. :rolleyes: :mad::mad::mad:

PeacePlan
05-02-2011, 12:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP9NteApqI

jmdrake
05-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Ron should have ran in this in 2007/2008 instead of continually harping on "blowback".

Lucille
05-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Dr. Paul unsheathed the constitutional sword within days of Al Qaeda’s attacks on New York and Washington, introducing the September 11 Marque and Reprisal Act of 2001 (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/the-ron-paul-question/87146/) to authorize private parties to go after Osama bin Laden. He has pressed continually since then for legislation authorizing the granting of such letters, delivering an eloquent exposition to anyone who will listen. Say what one will about that strategy, but after so many hundreds of billions of dollars of outlays on conventional war, letters of marque and reprisal seem less chimerical than when Dr. Paul first proposed them.

Woulda shoulda coulda.

osan
05-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Problem is the proof of responsibility part - and the potential of being accountable for wrongful death.

D00d, you can't be serious! We traipse over the globe murdering by the hundreds of thousands as whim seems to dictate, but I have yet to see any accountability for any of it. What would lead anyone to believe this government would or could be held accountable for anything?

A letter of marque with a head price of $1 billion would have brought Bin Laden's on a pig pole to the table in a week, the entrepreneurial spirit being what it tends to be. Are we up to 6K deaths yet in Eye-Rack? They'd all be alive as well... or most anyhow. No involvement in Afghanistan either. The price has been high, the return less than zero. Way less. I'd have hung a price on the heads of ANYONE provably complicit in the deal. Bet at least some of those heads would have no towels wrapped around them, too.

jmdrake
05-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Woulda shoulda coulda.

That's not the point. The point is that (if we believe the POTUS and the MSM) it was the very kind of small scale targeted operation that Dr. Paul was advocating back in 2001 as an non war option that got OBL. So in essence Dr. Paul has been vindicated. The "woulda shoulda coulda" part is that Dr. Paul "shoulda" ran on this in 2007/2008 instead of blowback.

jmdrake
05-02-2011, 07:51 AM
D00d, you can't be serious! We traipse over the globe murdering by the hundreds of thousands as whim seems to dictate, but I have yet to see any accountability for any of it. What would lead anyone to believe this government would or could be held accountable for anything?

A letter of marque with a head price of $1 billion would have brought Bin Laden's on a pig pole to the table in a week, the entrepreneurial spirit being what it tends to be. Are we up to 6K deaths yet in Eye-Rack? They'd all be alive as well... or most anyhow. No involvement in Afghanistan either. The price has been high, the return less than zero. Way less. I'd have hung a price on the heads of ANYONE provably complicit in the deal. Bet at least some of those heads would have no towels wrapped around them, too.

+rep

nayjevin
05-02-2011, 08:04 AM
I'd have hung a price on the heads of ANYONE provably complicit in the deal.

Me too. The language of the bill is probably enough to require that proof beforehand. I like 'provably complicit' but don't know whether the burden of proof would be on the private assassination squad or the government. Who would be liable for wrongful death should evidence surface that exonerates the dead?

Lucille
05-02-2011, 08:07 AM
That's not the point. The point is that (if we believe the POTUS and the MSM) it was the very kind of small scale targeted operation that Dr. Paul was advocating back in 2001 as an non war option that got OBL. So in essence Dr. Paul has been vindicated. The "woulda shoulda coulda" part is that Dr. Paul "shoulda" ran on this in 2007/2008 instead of blowback.

I get what you're saying. I agree he that should have stressed that solution more, and that he has been vindicated.

Matt Collins
05-02-2011, 11:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhXt4BjLL0g

osan
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Me too. The language of the bill is probably enough to require that proof beforehand. I like 'provably complicit' but don't know whether the burden of proof would be on the private assassination squad or the government. Who would be liable for wrongful death should evidence surface that exonerates the dead?

Historically speaking, such letters have often targeted specific individuals. For example, Carlos Hathcock had something like a $1MM price on his head by the government of N. Viet Nam. OTOH, classes of people have also come into those crosshairs such as the Barbary Pirates as well as French war and merchant vessels when the crown gave lattitude to the <mubledypeg>s during the 17th/18th centuries. What in HELL were those guys called... free something... freeloaders... shit, I'm getting old.

We try so hard to be "civil" these days, and for reasons I suspect are NOT at all noble as some would have us believe. In so striving, we cut our own balls off, exposing ourselves to all manner of dangers and suffering for... what? Civility? When people fly aircraft into our largest office buildings and manage to take nearly 3000 people with them, I say fuck civility. Put out a kill order with a high payday and I assure you that it will get the job done where a million-man army will fail. It is the nature of these things.

Of course, this all should be preceded by a return to rational foreign policy. I would back out of every treaty under which we currently labor. I like much about Israeli's, though not all - that aside, they'd be on their own with my heartfelt best wishes. I would give nobody reasonable cause to be at such odds with us that they would assault us. I would make it clear to the world, and I mean ALL of the rest of the world including China, that anything cute will have a soul-withering price tag. Mess with us and we will wipe you from the earth as if you had never existed. Be cool and prosper. Be uncool and become dust. Simple as that.

I will not be holding my breath on the foreign policy thing, or any other thoughts of returning to sanity. That will not be forthcoming until it is forced upon us. No doubt that will be a whole lot of fun as well.

Pericles
05-02-2011, 01:28 PM

Would have done that, except the BATFE would not let us have the tools useful to do that. They are too busy making sure sufficient quantities of arms are underway to Mexico to kill as many people as possible.

Feeding the Abscess
05-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Ron should have ran in this in 2007/2008 instead of continually harping on "blowback".

I disagree, Ron reached as many people as he did because he didn't back down against Ghouliani, and instead harped on blowback.

heavenlyboy34
05-02-2011, 02:07 PM
But wars are good for the economy. Look at all of those "defense" jobs the government created over the last decade. Just imagine how bad off we would've been if the government hadn't had helped us by making all that work. :rolleyes: :mad::mad::mad:

lolz ;) Yep, control/command economics FTW! /sarcasm