PDA

View Full Version : Who in their right mind would buy this?

Freedom 4 all
05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Flipping through channels I saw this commercial. Now there are a lot of ridiculous crap on late night infomercials, but to me, this seems beyond the pale. Who in their right mind would pay $10 in Fed printed money for $2 in Fed printed money? And where do they get off saying a $2 bill is a $30 value? Is this supposed to be an joke of some kind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1dHpX1qrUw

RideTheDirt
05-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Flipping through channels I saw this commercial. Now there are a lot of ridiculous crap on late night infomercials, but to me, this seems beyond the pale. Who in their right mind would pay $10 in Fed printed money for $2 in Fed printed money? And where do they get off saying a $2 bill is a $30 value? Is this supposed to be an joke of some kind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1dHpX1qrUw
who in their right mind uses paper money at all...

nate895
05-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Only idiots would buy these, but it's value comes from supposed "collectible" value, not its value as currency. The fact it is legal currency only increases its legitimacy as a "collectible."

Freedom 4 all
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Only idiots would buy these, but it's value comes from supposed "collectible" value, not its value as currency. The fact it is legal currency only increases its legitimacy as a "collectible."

Never thought of it that way but you're absolutely right. Money only has value because we say it has value, much like any kind of collectable. If an art student made a perfect replica to Michaelangelo's David, it would be considered a forgery despite the fact that it serves the same purpose.

MelissaWV
05-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Never thought of it that way but you're absolutely right. Money only has value because we say it has value, much like any kind of collectable. If an art student made a perfect replica to Michaelangelo's David, it would be considered a forgery despite the fact that it serves the same purpose.

The value of that $2 worth of money will only even begin to approach what the person paid for it once it becomes more rare. There's some truth in the idea of that being an investment, but you won't see the return, nor will your children (most likely). Somewhere way, way, WAY down the line, if it's kept safe and in good condition, it could be worth quite a bit of money (or purchasing power in whatever form is being used by then). In the short run, though, it makes infomercial people money.

pcosmar
05-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Marketing to idiots.
It worked for Micro$oft.

Wesker1982
05-01-2011, 03:35 PM
More ridiculous than the shake weight.

Seraphim
05-01-2011, 03:38 PM
But it has perty colours....

WilliamC
05-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Same thing with numismatic coins.

Or confederate money.

You pay for the novelty, not any intrinsic value.

DamianTV
05-01-2011, 05:00 PM
who in their right mind uses paper money at all...

People that fight the idea that Privacy is Dead.