PDA

View Full Version : Lieutenant Colonel Tony Shaffer is a Bad Person

couvi
05-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Let’s set aside the faulty logic of Tony Shaffer and instead concentrate on the characteristics of his humanity. On ‘Stossel’ Shaffer claims that our modern wars are made necessary because “we have to defend our equities” (oil most importantly). He argues that “we inherited an empire” and therefore have an obligation to maintain it.

This is a unique admission. In saying such a thing Shaffer reveals the only truthful reasoning for our current policy of interventionism; he doesn’t suffer from the denial which causes most war mongers to exclaim stupidly that war advances the cause of humanitarianism; he doesn't argue dumbly that somehow the imposition of our extraordinary use of violence will eliminate more terrorists than it creates. Alternatively, Shaffer is saying, with mind-blowing sincerity, that it is alright that we kill people to advance our own comfortable American life.

Although it might benefit me financially, I do not murder strangers on the street and rob them of their money. I do not make a habit out of harming others for my benefit. I do not do such things because I have a moral compass which functions--Shaffer does not. He advocates the equivalent of what would be considered to be blatantly criminal if committed on a small scale.

But in Shaffer’s mind the murderous action of our military is made OK because it is committed by a monstrous and collective force. He finds it “necessary to sacrifice some for the greater good”, but what he promotes is only a cause for the lessening of good. He calls the violence of our impositions an American “value”. Blasphemy.

Shaffer and the rest of the elite military and political class should be vehemently ostracized and ridiculed for promoting what any decent human being who is not blinded by ignorance would call radical extremism. What Shaffer advocates is more disgusting than the actions of the cruelest serial killer. He promotes a “chess game” (his words) of rampantly murderous tyranny. He deserves the respect which one might give to the worst rapist or child molester--it is a cause of pain even to type his name. Non-propagandized history will judge him and his class of people as instigators and perpetuators of one of the most dreadful empires in history.

Plainly: Lieutenant Colonel Tony Shaffer is a bad person. And we should have no qualms about calling him such. Along with his ilk.

DeadheadForPaul
05-01-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree with your analysis

On the plus side, at least the guy is completely honest about his position rather than hiding it like 99% of the hawks

I was kind of disappointed that Ron did not challenge Shaffer's argument that we have to maintain a presence in the Middle East in order to ensure our access to oil

There are 2 easy answers/solutions to this:
1.) First, the oil-producing countries have an interest in selling oil to us at a reasonable price because they rely on our consumption and also must compete with each other. It is the market at its finest. Furthermore, our perpetual war on the peoples of the Middle East hurts our image, generates hostility, and ultimately may cause them to cut off our supply or drastically raise the cost as an act of revenge

2.) Second, we should focus on energy independence so the world's tyrants don't have our balls in a vice. This means we should open up off-shore drilling, give tax breaks to alternative energy, remove gasoline taxes, encourage voluntary "green" actions such as car-pooling, biking, and buying hybrid cars, and allow new energy companies to go one year without any taxes