PDA

View Full Version : Feds raid Amish milk producer

Anti Federalist
04-30-2011, 06:01 PM
A War on Food, I can see it coming.

Now, for the $64,000 question:

Why did the Feds have to "trick" this Amish farmer into selling his contraband milk across state lines before they could act, but yet claim to have absolute authority over guns and firearms and are declaring that the Firearms Freedom Acts that are passing around the country are null and void?

For that matter, where do they get the authority to claim absolute supremacy when it comes to drug laws as well?

Feds sting Amish farmer selling raw milk locally
Cite interstate commerce violation

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/28/feds-sting-amish-farmer-selling-raw-milk-locally/?page=all#pagebreak

A yearlong sting operation, including aliases, a 5 a.m. surprise inspection and surreptitious purchases from an Amish farm in Pennsylvania, culminated in the federal government announcing this week that it has gone to court to stop Rainbow Acres Farm from selling its contraband to willing customers in the Washington area.

The product in question: unpasteurized milk.

Vessol
04-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Well I sure feel safe.

God knows what might be in the milk that I buy in dark alleyways from men in dark jackets.

heavenlyboy34
04-30-2011, 06:08 PM
These Amish must not have gotten the memo...only regime-approved food is permitted to be sold.

specialkornflake
05-03-2011, 05:16 AM
This hits close to home for me. This Amish farmer is about to lose his livelihood of this isn't stopped. Please continue to spread this article around!

Sola_Fide
05-03-2011, 05:53 AM
http://www.imsogangsta.org/gangsta/small/1103/-gangsta-1301572558.jpg

jmdrake
05-03-2011, 06:26 AM
A War on Food, I can see it coming.

Now, for the $64,000 question:

Why did the Feds have to "trick" this Amish farmer into selling his contraband milk across state lines before they could act, but yet claim to have absolute authority over guns and firearms and are declaring that the Firearms Freedom Acts that are passing around the country are null and void?

For that matter, where do they get the authority to claim absolute supremacy when it comes to drug laws as well?

Feds sting Amish farmer selling raw milk locally
Cite interstate commerce violation

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/28/feds-sting-amish-farmer-selling-raw-milk-locally/?page=all#pagebreak

A yearlong sting operation, including aliases, a 5 a.m. surprise inspection and surreptitious purchases from an Amish farm in Pennsylvania, culminated in the federal government announcing this week that it has gone to court to stop Rainbow Acres Farm from selling its contraband to willing customers in the Washington area.

The product in question: unpasteurized milk.

Good legal analysis on the commerce clause. I'm glad my reps are reloaded. ;) From the article:

The orders were delivered to private residences in Maryland, where the investigator, whose name was not disclosed in the documents, would pick them up. By crossing state lines the milk became part of interstate commerce, thus subject to the FDA’s ban on interstate sales of raw milk. The court papers note that the jugs of milk were not labeled - another violation of FDA regulations.

Note that this was an "FDA ban" and not congressional legislation. (Note also that this is an unconstitutional delegation of congressional power to the executive branch. Note also that this has been happening at least since FDR and possibly before). I'm guessing that the FDA enabling statute specifically restricts it to actual interstate commerce as opposed to the "virtual interstate commerce" garbage standard set forward in Wickard v. Filburn. But I haven't read the enabling statute so that's just a guess.

Something else interesting from the article.

The orders were delivered to private residences in Maryland, where the investigator, whose name was not disclosed in the documents, would pick them up. By crossing state lines the milk became part of interstate commerce, thus subject to the FDA’s ban on interstate sales of raw milk. The court papers note that the jugs of milk were not labeled - another violation of FDA regulations.

So raw milk is supposedly more dangerous than pot now? Or more of Obama's supporters smoke pot than drink raw milk?

fisharmor
05-03-2011, 06:50 AM
We'll see if they post my comment...
People, I know most of you are public school graduates, but try to break your conditioning and read between the lines here.
Not one positive comment exists about raw milk raids anywhere. Yet they keep happening.
The sad reality is that 99% of the people complaining about this support it tacitly. You can yammer about it all you want, but until you're ready to do something about it, you're in support of it.
You all support the feds doing this to other people for other things. You created the environment they needed to perform raids for doing things that aren't really hurting anyone. You applauded when they did it in other situations.
Now they've started doing it in situations you don't approve of, and you have the gall to say they're stupid?
You gave them the power to do this, you asked them to do this, you gave up the power to do anything to stop them, and you cheered them on. You can't exactly say they're not doing a good job. All that happened is that they tweaked the job a little. The job definition is the same: break into people's houses, steal their stuff, ruin their livelihood, and maybe shoot a couple animals or people while they're at it. WTF does it matter that it's milk this time?
Do us all a favor and just STFU. You all asked for this, and you got it.

JohnGalt1225
05-03-2011, 07:08 AM
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-03-2011, 07:22 AM
nt

CaliforniaMom
05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Here in California raw milk is legal. They sell it at the health food store.

bwlibertyman
05-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah, the states need to stand up. Here in Indiana you guy buy raw milk if you sign a cow share contract. There's no reason that people shouldn't be able to buy raw milk if they want to. It is so much more healthy than pasteurized milk. Anyone that's done research on the topic knows so.

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-03-2011, 08:15 AM
nt

Anti Federalist
05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Good legal analysis on the commerce clause. I'm glad my reps are reloaded. ;) From the article:

Note that this was an "FDA ban" and not congressional legislation. (Note also that this is an unconstitutional delegation of congressional power to the executive branch. Note also that this has been happening at least since FDR and possibly before). I'm guessing that the FDA enabling statute specifically restricts it to actual interstate commerce as opposed to the "virtual interstate commerce" garbage standard set forward in Wickard v. Filburn. But I haven't read the enabling statute so that's just a guess.

And one right back to you for pointing out what I missed.

Regulatory authority vs. codified statutory authority.

Of course though, the question is still out there.

A close corollary question, and one that I have yet to get a satisfactory answer to:

Why was a constitutional amendment required to ban alcohol, but not drugs, especially drugs from naturally occurring, wild growing plants?

Anti Federalist
05-03-2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.imsogangsta.org/gangsta/small/1103/-gangsta-1301572558.jpg

That deserves a tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg