PDA

View Full Version : mitt romney wants to zinger barack obama with a recent "misery index" figure...

Aratus
04-30-2011, 02:23 PM
he has this 49 second gaffe of a net-video humbly circulating where he tries
to extricate his sorry campaign from a verbal faux-pas equal to the W's worst.

we have "Reason" having done up a poll here at 3:21 today that sorta hints that
maybe the current political environment is as bad as the one FDR faced in 1933!

can we try to be more dispassionate and not given to rhetorical soaring flights
of hyperbole? the knee-jerk reaction of the mass media is legendary and vicious!

doodle
04-30-2011, 02:28 PM
There is another thread on this. Verbal faux-pas like this will be big news story in MSM, so we should discuss it.

Metaphorically speaking, Romney may have hung his Presidential campiagn chances too..metaphors like these are powerful when applied in certain historic context and perceptions.

Palin, Trump and now potentially Romney...looks like so called "leading" GOP runners could be chocking on their own one by one and only there could be one wise man standing against Obama come 2012. Despite being a pretty weak President with record in shambles, Obama is turning out to be a quite a formidable opponent for GOP so far.

Just checked, it's spurring quite a bit of news stories:

Mitt Romney suggests it's time to 'hang' President Obama during stop in New Hampshire

By Nina Mandell
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Saturday, April 30th 2011, 1:53 PM

Mitt Romney scrambled to do some damage control after he suggested it was time to "hang" President Obama in a speech in New Hampshire Friday night.

The former Massachusetts governor and probable 2012 presidential candidate was speaking at a dinner when he said in response to an attendee's question, "Reagan came up with this great thing about the 'misery index' and he hung that around Jimmy Carter's neck and that had a lot to do with Jimmy Carter losing. Well we're going to have to hang the 'Obama Misery Index' around his neck."

Romney went on to describe how people in the U.S. are suffering because of high fuel prices, foreclosures and bankruptcies.

"We're going to hang him with that," Romney said before catching himself and adding, "so to speak, metaphorically."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/04/30/2011-04-30_mitt_romney_suggests_its_time_to_hang_president _obama_during_stop_in_new_hampshi.html#ixzz1L2XjaQ 7m

Aratus
04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
i was trying to NOT have as volatile a header so that issues about "political correctness" and all
around politeness can be hashed out by us, at the risk of sounding euphemistically bland and ice
water veined. in full fairness i have noticed that the first snarky dirty trick of the S.C Republican
primary happened the other day when a blogger opined that MIKE HUCKABEE was about to let
seasoned south carolina primary aspected staffers actually work for some of his S.C GOP rivals...
rather ignorantly and stupidly i even welcomed Huckabee people into these very forums, thinking
the story by the blogger to be quite real. several things had happened to make the story more real,
one thingie was the sudden departure of Gov Barbour of Mississippi from the fabled SUPERTUESDAY
sweepstakes that gets as political as does the BLUE GRASS STAKES of lil ole Kentucky! To now see
Donald Trump asked about his own birth certificate does my heart good! Maybe we need to carefully
word things from this point on, or maybe even argue the issues from the 1800s less often & wisely here!

doodle
04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
If a Presidental candidate says some words on national stage, they can't be "volatile" for a discussion header. But that's just my opinion. I'm not clear how this relates to "politeness" though.

But about Carolinas, they do tend to have heated primaries. Wasn't it in one of the Carolinas where reportedly GW Bush campaign people had made push poll calls about McCain fathering a "black child".

But current topic is entirely different.

Aratus
04-30-2011, 02:55 PM
in either the 1896 or year 1900 election, there was a campaign doll made that
showed BILL McKINLEY's abandoned illegitmate black childe. needless to say,
on the heels of Grover Cleveland facing down speculation on his personal life,
and his own offspring, the rumor was spread by the people who weren't going
to vote for McKinley. John McCain is not the first war vet to have an accusation
slam him like that. Further irony, Strom Thurmond owned up to his interracial
60something daughter recently. McCain and his wife had adopted a girl from
Bangladesh. Yes... South Carolina's primaries get interesting and quite heated!