PDA

View Full Version : Obama: IMMIGRATION REFORM NOW

aGameOfThrones
04-30-2011, 05:55 AM
“I know that several young people here have recently identified themselves as undocumented. Some were brought here as young children, and discovered the truth only as adults. And they’ve put their futures on the line in hopes it will spur the rest of us to live up to our most cherished values.

“I strongly believe we should fix our broken immigration system. (Applause.) Fix it so that it meets our 21st-century economic and security needs. And I want to work with Democrats and Republicans, yes, to protect our borders, and enforce our laws, and address the status of millions of undocumented workers. (Applause.) And I will keep fighting alongside many of you to make the DREAM Act the law of the land. (Applause.)

“Like all of this country’s movements towards justice, it will be difficult and it will take time. I know some here wish that I could just bypass Congress and change the law myself. (Applause.) But that’s not how democracy works. See, democracy is hard. But it’s right.

“Changing our laws means doing the hard work of changing minds and changing votes, one by one. And I am convinced we can change the laws, because we should all be able to agree that it makes no sense to expel talented young people from our country. They grew up as Americans. They pledge allegiance to our flag. And if they are trying to serve in our military or earn a degree, they are contributing to our future -- and we welcome those contributions. (Applause.)

“We didn’t raise the Statue of Liberty with its back to the world; we raised it with its light to the world. (Applause.) Whether your ancestors came here on the Mayflower or a slave ship; whether they signed in at Ellis Island or they crossed the Rio Grande -- we are one people. We need one another. Our patriotism is not rooted in ethnicity, but in a shared belief of the enduring and permanent promise of this country. (Applause.)

“That’s the promise redeemed by your graduation today. That’s the promise that drew so many of you to this college and your parents to this country. And that’s the promise that drew my own father here.”

http://www.politico.com/politico44/

Kylie
04-30-2011, 07:53 AM
In theory, I agree with him.

But the welfare/warfare system needs to be dismantled first, then there is no payoff(other than a better life) to be here.

Carson
04-30-2011, 08:53 AM
What bigger evil could one imagine than a government that tricked school children saying that there wouldn't be enough room for the children they would soon have at the same time they were opening up the borders for the criminals in businesses illegal labor?

As for the Statue of Liberty;

The Statue of Liberty wasn't built with that plaque. It was added later.

We can't keep killing ourselves to make room for the overpopulation of the world.

I don't care how big your heart is!

And I don't care how greedy the criminals in business are!

P.S. "What does the tablet say on the statue of liberty, that the Swan Alley Statue of Liberty holds?

It is inscribed with the dates IV Juillet 1776 et XIV Julliet 1789 [the dates of the US and French revolutions]."

sailingaway
04-30-2011, 09:09 AM
What's sad about this is he knows it won't possibly pass, he's revving up the topic he ignored to mobilize people on his side for the election. Unfortunately, that works in mobilizing both sides, and the debate goes downhill.