PDA

View Full Version : Garrison Keillor Supports Dr. Paul

bgky4paul
10-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I was just on the official website and the name Garrison Keillor, St. Paul MN flashed on the recent donor list. That is so very cool!

American
10-26-2007, 09:24 AM
WOW, that is cool.

although I had to look up who this person was, but yeah this is cool!...?:)

SWATH
10-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Who is Ron Paul? I mean, you know what I mean.

DaronWestbrooke
10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search_hp.asp?txtName=Keillor&NumOfThou=0&txt2008=Y&submit=Go%21

margomaps
10-26-2007, 09:27 AM
I saw that too. I did a double-take. Not sure if it's legit, or just someone messing with us.

I haven't listened to GK in quite some time (his voice makes me fall asleep on Prairie Home Companion) -- he always seemed like somewhat of a lefty to me. Is that just my paranoia about the media speaking? :D

specsaregood
10-26-2007, 09:29 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrison_Keillor

bgky4paul
10-26-2007, 09:30 AM
If someone wanted to "mess with us", I think Garrison Keillor would be an odd choice.

Ninja Homer
10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow, this has huge potential. Here's the wiki on his radio show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Prairie_Home_Companion

"Approximately 3.9 million U.S. listeners tune in each week. The program is also carried around the world by the American Armed Forces Radio Network as well as America One. In March 2007, the show began playing on XM Public Radio, XM Radio channel 133. It also airs on Sirius Satellite Radio."

They do a lot of political satire.

It's also an older audience that probably doesn't use the internet a lot.

margomaps
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM
If someone wanted to "mess with us", I think Garrison Keillor would be an odd choice.

Really? I think it's a great choice. We're all now wondering whether Garrison Keillor really supports Ron Paul now, aren't we? So if it was subterfuge, it definitely worked. :)

nayjevin
10-26-2007, 09:54 AM
this is older thinking republican voter haven

constituent
10-26-2007, 09:55 AM
wow... how many people grew up on a prairie home companion?

i'm one...

he also does the writer's almanac every morning.

that would be enormous were it confirmed (imagine, every lutheran w/ access to Public Radio)!!!!!!!!!

Badger Paul
10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I had always thought GK would have a soft spot for Ron Paul and now we see he does.

freelance
10-26-2007, 09:58 AM
GK is the Normal Rockwell of our times.

bgky4paul
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Really? I think it's a great choice. We're all now wondering whether Garrison Keillor really supports Ron Paul now, aren't we? So if it was subterfuge, it definitely worked.

Wow, paranoia is alive and well on the RP boards! {wink}

FluffyUnbound
10-26-2007, 10:07 AM
I believe that contributing in a false name would be a crime [it shouldn't be criminal to donate anonymously, but it currently is] so if someone is trying to trick us they're taking a chance to do it.

Brinck Slattery
10-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Sweet! Maybe Ron Paul can do a fundraiser in Lake Wobegone...

kylejack
10-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Garrison Keillor
writer
self Updated
Q1/
DNC
$1,500
2004 427 Portland
St. Paul MN

Garrison Keillor
Writer
Self employed Updated
Q1/
John Kerry
$500
2004 5601 Green Valley Dr
Minneapolis MN

Garrison Keillor
Writer
Self Updated
Q1/
John Kerry
$250
2004 Eide Bailly 5601 Green Valley Rd
Minneapolis MN
http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/neighbors.php?type=name&lname=Keillor&fname=&older=yes&search=Search

I love Garrison Keillor, by the way. He has a great show called A Prairie Home Companion that's distributed by American Public Media. It probably airs on your local NPR station every Sunday, but check local listings. Its like the old radio shows, with sketches, comedy bits, spoken word, and music. Its a fun show.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

kylejack
10-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Our adventure in Iraq, at a cost of trillions, has brought that country to the verge of civil war while earning us more enemies than ever before. And tax money earmarked for security is being dumped into pork barrel projects anywhere somebody wants their own SWAT team.

Detonation of a nuclear bomb within our borders -pick any big city - is a real possibility, as much so now as five years ago. Meanwhile, many Democrats have conceded the very subject of security and positioned themselves as Guardians of Our Forests and Benefactors of Waifs and Owls, neglecting the most basic job of government, which is to defend the country.

We might rather be comedians or daddies or flamenco dancers, but we must attend to first things.

The peaceful lagoon that is the White House is designed for the comfort of a vulnerable man. Perfectly understandable, but not what is needed now.

The Constitution provides a simple ultimate way to hold him to account for war crimes and the failure to attend to the country's defense.

Impeach him and let the Senate hear the evidence.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/02/opinion/edkeillor.php?page=2

He wrote this a year and a half ago. This is a man fed up with the political powers that be. Its fantastic to have him on our side.

jb4ronpaul
10-26-2007, 10:36 AM
i love his show and think he is smart, not just a tow the party line liberal

mkrfctr
10-26-2007, 10:44 AM
From the wikipedia page say DFL member, and looks like donated to DFL candidates, so perhaps just like Manilow and donating due to anti-war stance... who knows.

constituent
10-26-2007, 10:46 AM
i love his show and think he is smart, not just a tow the party line liberal

i always thought he was a conservative.... go figure. maybe just confused?

does gk watch tv?

yongrel
10-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Obviously, it's not gonna happen, but....

How cool would it be if GK was the voice of the Ron Paul campiagn?

angelatc
10-26-2007, 11:04 AM

That would be absolutely awesome.

I don't Garrison Keillor. I know who he is, I've listened to his show many many times. But that's just a guy he plays on his show.

Having said that, if he is anything at all like the character, I'm thrilled to know that he supports Ron Paul.

kylejack
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
i always thought he was a conservative.... go figure. maybe just confused?

does gk watch tv?

He's a liberal, but moreover, he's a common sense sort. He's a Midwest liberal, so he does like things like self-reliance and states' rights, but yes, he favors various government programs. He's highly intelligent and an excellent writer. He focuses generally more on society's little idiosyncracies, and particularly on Midwest traditions and colloqualisms. He's a lot of fun to listen to, because he always knows just how to phrase things. He's a big fan of plays on words, puns, and double entendres. He talks a lot about families and friendships.

Very cool. And yes, not going to happen, I don't think.

Ozwest
10-26-2007, 11:15 AM
He's a liberal, but moreover, he's a common sense sort. He's a Midwest liberal, so he does like things like self-reliance and states' rights, but yes, he favors various government programs. He's highly intelligent and an excellent writer. He focuses generally more on society's little idiosyncracies, and particularly on Midwest traditions and colloqualisms. He's a lot of fun to listen to, because he always knows just how to phrase things. He's a big fan of plays on words, puns, and double entendres. He talks a lot about families and friendships.

Very cool. And yes, not going to happen, I don't think.

Wow, I didn't really know there was a "midwest liberal" classification. Having lived in Chicago for 9 years, I might be one of the same... We're easy marks for Ron Paul.

Shink
10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Let us know if he, y'know, actually SAYS anything about Ron.

slantedview
10-26-2007, 12:01 PM
His show isn't exactly the kind of thing that lends itself to shoutouts for political candidates, unfortunately.

kylejack
10-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Wow, I didn't really know there was a "midwest liberal" classification. Having lived in Chicago for 9 years, I might be one of the same... We're easy marks for Ron Paul.
GK talks a lot about religion and God, and the funny things that Lutherans do. I definitely see him as a different sort of liberal.

kylejack
10-26-2007, 12:04 PM
His show isn't exactly the kind of thing that lends itself to shoutouts for political candidates, unfortunately.
True true. Maybe he'll write an article.

ValidusCustodiae
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
This guy is super famous, his sense of humor along with the rest of him is very down to earth, and we can only hope he is on board.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

RP4ME
10-26-2007, 12:17 PM
yay Gk in da house!:p this is great news!

bolidew
10-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Is there any way to confirm it is really him who donated?

Perry
10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I was just on the official website and the name Garrison Keillor, St. Paul MN flashed on the recent donor list. That is so very cool!

This is a huge audience. Someone needs to start a celebrity list now. Anyone know who's house in Hollywood Paul will holding the private meeting at?

kylejack
10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Is there any way to confirm it is really him who donated?
Nope. Unless you want to try to contact him.

thehittgirl
10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
I see GK's donation was before the democratic debate when mostly all of them said they couldn't guarantee a pullout from Iraq. He's amongst the Americans that are waking up. That's a cool thing.:D

Eric21ND
10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
This would be very interesting. I've always liked GK.

drednot
10-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Wow, this might even convert my parents.