PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Senate Passes Life Sentence for Hash Making

disorderlyvision
04-29-2011, 12:18 PM
link (http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2011/apr/22/oklahoma_senate_passes_life_sent)

The Oklahoma Senate Wednesday passed a bill that would mandate a sentence of up to life in prison for making hashish out of marijuana. The House has already approved the measure, but it must go back to the lower chamber for a final vote.

The measure sailed through the Senate with little debate, passing on a vote of 44-2. The House also approved the measure by a large margin, passing it on a vote of 75-18.

The bill, House Bill 1798, creates a new felony of converting marijuana into hash. A first conviction could garner a $50,000 fine and prison sentence of two years to life. And that's a mandatory minimum two years. Second or subsequent convictions would net doubled penalties.

Oklahoma legislative analysts said the bill would cost the state $56 per day, or more than $20,000 a year, for each day someone is imprisoned. At that rate, if Oklahoma imprisoned five hash makers for 10 years each, the bill to taxpayers would be one million dollars.

The bill was the brainchild of the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (OBNDD), which says on its web site that its mission is "to serve the citizens of Oklahoma in the quest for a drug-free state."

According to the Tulsa World, OBNDD said there have been "few" cases of hash making in the Sooner State. But OBNDD spokesman Mark Woodward said the goal of the bill is to "send a message" that illegal drugs won't be tolerated in Oklahoma.

Neither, apparently, will common sense or a sense of proportionality.

MRK
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Interesting that the oklahoma senate wants to give people life sentences for practicing harm reduction via removing excess possibly carcinogenic plant material from their pharmaceuticals.

dannno
04-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Interesting that the oklahoma senate wants to give people life sentences for practicing harm reduction via removing excess possibly carcinogenic plant material from their pharmaceuticals.

This is precisely right.

Let me give a quick run-down of how most hash is produced these days.

A fully mature cannabis plant has buds and leaves, which are trimmed.

Before (buds and leaves):

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRadudxx2rB0tnbN_Le7c59dWOYrs9Yh bzGMbqLVSxfdXuJlx9I

After (buds only):

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2yzpYyxpPAbTiCzLZpANH-Ml6kbfeW8M_2MRC_765tivHpBt8bg

The buds are usually smoked, vaporized or eaten.. So what do you do with all of the trimmed leaves, since they contain small amounts of cannabinoids and THC?

Well, it turns out that the cannabinoids and THC are all in the oil nodules that look like so:

http://news.humcounty.com/images/Cannabis_THC.jpg

When you harvest, those nodules should be mostly white and cloudy, very few clear nodules and 10% red at most.

It turns out you can knock those nodules straight off the plant by freezing them and then knocking them off with brute force. It also turns out that the nodules sink in water and the plant material floats up to the top.

So you get a 5 gallon bucket and put a special bag with a specific size filter into it. You fill the bucket with ice and trimmings, and some water. Then you use a cake mixer or something to stir everything, about 20 or 30 minutes. Then you take the bag out, filtering out all of the plant matter and ice. Now there is just water and THC/Cannabinoid nodules.

You get a few other bags with different size filters and filter out a variety of grades of hash, dry it out, and that's it.

The method is referred to as "cold water" hash making.

There is nothing dangerous about it, there is no butane involved, just ice and water (some methods of hash making use butane).

Here's a video if you want a more detailed procedure, I don't think I've seen this specific video yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLgEvfNCv_M

So ya, life in prison for stiring up some plants with some ice seems pretty crazy to me.

Kotin
04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
that is fucking insane.. seriously oklahoma???

thats a huge fail.

fisharmor
04-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Doesn't OK also keep figuring prominently in jackboot-abuse type threads?

TheDriver
04-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Absurd! The drug war is a failure.

libertybrewcity
04-29-2011, 02:05 PM
jesus. talk about democracy going insane

COpatriot
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Unbelievable. Asinine. The ignorance and idiocy the government has installed in the minds of its own citizens is absolutely stunning.

Dr.3D
04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Guess they want Hash to be imported to that state.

Acala
04-29-2011, 02:42 PM
I keep writing a reply and then erasing it. This is one of those "don't know whether to laugh or cry" moments.

LatinsforPaul
04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Uruguay To Legalize Marijuana Cultivation and Possession (http://www.activistpost.com/2011/04/uruguay-to-legalize-marijuana.html)

Uruguay may once again prove to live up to its official motto of "liberty or death." Already considered one of the freest countries in the world in terms of economic and political liberties, the Uruguayan government has agreed on draft legislation that will legalize possession and cultivation of marijuana for personal consumption.

Sola_Fide
04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah police state!

specsaregood
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Guess they want Hash to be imported to that state.

Marijuana is already their #1 agricultural export.

Dr.3D
04-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Marijuana is already their #1 agricultural export.

So they export it to get processed into hash and then it is imported again.
If they were smart, they would legalize all of it and then let the economy rebound from the increase in production and income.

HOLLYWOOD
04-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Hasn't anyone learned... Opiates are only legal for government's partner in Fasco-corporatist crime. The Money Masters and Campaign donors: BIG Pharmaceuticals, Corporate Hospitals, and government Borg agencies that require more and more funding: Judicial Branch Systems, Prison Industrial Complex, ATF, FDA, DEA, FBI, & SS.

How many document deaths from Marijuana/Hashish and how many from Oxycotin and the 100's of other corporate "legal" opiates?

speciallyblend
04-29-2011, 03:55 PM
so basically oklahoma would give me a life sentence for making meds for my wife. They would perfer my wife die from taking morphine. Then ease her pain with hash/marijuana! Oklahoma sucks! I feel sorry for thousands of folks there! I cannot say what i am really thinking!!! bottom line their senate should be arrested for domestic terrorism now or tomorrow morning!!!

Anti Federalist
04-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Uruguay To Legalize Marijuana Cultivation and Possession (http://www.activistpost.com/2011/04/uruguay-to-legalize-marijuana.html)

Uruguay may once again prove to live up to its official motto of "liberty or death." Already considered one of the freest countries in the world in terms of economic and political liberties, the Uruguayan government has agreed on draft legislation that will legalize possession and cultivation of marijuana for personal consumption.

Well, well, well...what do you know about that...

Anti Federalist
04-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Foolish Mundane!

What makes you think, for one second, that we're going to allow your chronic pain suffering wife morphine either?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?289823-Obama-administration-Feds-announce-crackdown-on-prescription-painkillers

The state is becoming straight up evil.

so basically oklahoma would give me a life sentence for making meds for my wife. They would perfer my wife die from taking morphine. Then ease her pain with hash/marijuana! Oklahoma sucks! I feel sorry for thousands of folks there! I cannot say what i am really thinking!!! bottom line their senate should be arrested for domestic terrorism now or tomorrow morning!!!

dannno
04-29-2011, 04:55 PM
The other big problem I see with this bill..

Anybody ever trim buds before?

You get a bunch of black crap on your fingers, you roll it up and make it into a ball to get it off your hands.

Now you have... finger hash!!

So I guess you get a life sentence for simply trimming the leaves off of the buds in Oklahoma?

Working Poor
04-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Boy I am glad that I am not an Okie from Misogie

IDefendThePlatform
04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
This seriously makes me want to get in a fist fight. And I don't even use the stuff. The people that voted for this are the ones who belong in jail.