PDA

View Full Version : Largest private land holder in America agrees with Ron Paul?

thedude
04-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Not completely, but really close. Nuggets of Ron Paul's message are reaching the top!

Liberty Media chairman John C. Malone on CNBC's Squawk Box this morning...

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000018770
(conversation about Paul starts at the 5 minute mark)

Joe Kernen: One of the things you said to one of our people was that you were listening to Ron Paul the other day and, on this show, and that you totally agreed with some of the stuff he was saying, which scared you to some extent.

Malone: Yeah, it scared me. I mean, his point of view that essentially we aren't attracting or creating capital the old fashion way, we're printing it, and uh that is a scary concept. Uh, you know, it goes all the way back, Joe, I think to America entered a global world, but we don't have, from the top, a global competetive strategy.

This is a great interview and a great conversation. The country and business world are moving more toward Ron Paul's vision (but, like most, are a bit off track). This guy is sympathetic toward the Fed, but he's a major business man (he's been told this is what he's supposed to believe in for decades). Not everybody that has a similar point of view will agree 100%. He is frightened by the Fed's practices, but blames Washington for a lack of guidance leaving bernank to resort to what he knows best, printing money (which is bit closer to the truth than anybody else is will to recognize).

His comments overall, however, are very encouraging for a Paul run to the Whitehouse. See, unlike the Fed, this guy actually recognizes global inflation. What he sees on the ground in the United States regarding community banks and small business is where Ron Paul's message will be most effective.

Please watch the entire interview before destroying this guy on his views toward the Fed. Nobody has it 100% right but we have to see the silver lining here. We can use this point of view to sculpt our message for businessmen all over the country. Instead of trashing what they have always known (which will turn them all off), we can use what they fear and know as wrong and let them know of Paul's incremental change in these areas.

We can all agree that printing money is detrimental to the economy and hurts us on a global economic scale. Let's start there. When a guy this big in the business community is willing to consider Ron's message, we can't just dismiss him for holding onto beliefs he's been indoctrinated to hold. Everybody has some apathy, and because they make billions doesn't mean they are somehow less apathetic.

erowe1
04-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I thought Ted Turner was the largest private land holder.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like it.
http://www.landreport.com/americas-100-largest-landowners/

Sorry to derail the thread. It's still a nice piece of news.

nayjevin
04-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Loved the comment about being careful with the metric used to base analysis. Pricing assets in relation to wildly unstable paper seems backwards. Sounds like this guy is starting to get it.

I thought Ted Turner was the largest private land holder.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like it.
http://www.landreport.com/americas-100-largest-landowners/

Sorry to derail the thread. It's still a nice piece of news.

Video says Turner is now #2 behind Malone.

thedude
04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Loved the comment about being careful with the metric used to base analysis. Pricing assets in relation to wildly unstable paper seems backwards. Sounds like this guy is starting to get it.

A lot of businessmen and economists are... they're just praying to God that Bernanke knows when to take his foot of the gas. So they are becoming more and more skiddish around Federal Reserve policy, and some are starting to ignore it altogether. We can't necessarily fault a majority of these guys because they are students of a flawed policy. Now they are starting to really see how flawed it is. You can't even fault them for still having some faith in Bernanke considering that is all they've ever known. What we can do is capitalize, to an extent, on the fears... I honestly think they're doing this more and more on their own anyway. If Bernanke makes a wrong move any time between now and Super Tuesday (i.e. this summer with a QE3), we'll see the business community jump on board.

I'm sure many may not necessarily agree with this, but as an avid watcher of CNBC for years, the changing tones are enough proof that they are coming around.

specsaregood
04-29-2011, 09:29 AM
You'd think the largest land holders would love dr. paul, for his steadfast support of private property rights if anything.

erowe1
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
You'd think the largest land holders would love dr. paul, for his steadfast support of private property rights if anything.

I wouldn't assume that their acquisition of that land, as well as a lot of the financial gain they use it to accrue, is not the result of government interferences in the free market in their favor. IIRC, Ted Turner gets quite a bit of agricultural subsidies.

thedude
04-30-2011, 06:45 AM
I wouldn't assume that their acquisition of that land, as well as a lot of the financial gain they use it to accrue, is not the result of government interferences in the free market in their favor. IIRC, Ted Turner gets quite a bit of agricultural subsidies.

Ted Turner is no longer the largest private land holder. I'm happy to see this shift in ideology regarding the role of government. The best way for business to grow in this global economy is for government to just get out of the way. Inflation, something everybody is recognizing and talking about, will destroy the potential for wealth of any businessman operating in this country, and they know it.