PDA

View Full Version : Politico: Romney hasn't said 'no' to South Carolina debate

sailingaway
04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
The key outstanding questions about the coming Fox News debate, scheduled for May 5 in Greenville, are whether Mitt Romney will show up, and what Fox and his rivals will do to him if he doesn't.

So far expected, I'm told, are Tim Pawlenty, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul, and perhaps Michele Bachmann, as well as one of the more minor candidates — Herman Cain, Gary Johnson or Buddy Roemer.

But while Romney is widely assumed to be skipping the debate, it's not clear he's actually made up his mind.

more at link (but not much)
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0411/Romney_hasnt_said_no_to_South_Carolina_debate.html ?showall

UtahApocalypse
04-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I have to smile to NOT be in the "minor" candidates list anymore :)

sailingaway
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I have to smile to NOT be in the "minor" candidates list anymore :)

that crossed my mind as well.

low preference guy
04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Knowing that Romney is a pussy, I expect him not to show up, and it will hurt him if he skips it.

Kregisen
04-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Knowing that Romney is a pussy, I expect him not to show up, and it will hurt him if he skips it.

It will hurt him less if he skips it, because once he gets in a debate he will lose 10% of his votes immediately. I wouldn't expect him to be in too many debates since he's the frontrunner and he will only lose votes each debate.

Nic
04-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I hope he's in it. The public needs to see that he has no conservative substance.

sailingaway
04-28-2011, 06:36 PM
I hope he's in it. The public needs to see that he has no conservative substance.

If he's not there people can compare their records to his, and he can't rebut though. Kinda risky, particularly given his record....

One Last Battle!
04-28-2011, 07:52 PM
If he's not there people can compare their records to his, and he can't rebut though. Kinda risky, particularly given his record....

Most people are too lazy to check records and go by appearances and what they say on TV.

If Romney is stuck in a debate, he will get put on the spot on uncomfortable issues (Romneycare, abortion) and his support will drop really fast. Avoiding the debate will drop it too, but it will drop slower and he might be able to hold on enough to win the primaries anyway (narrowly, mind).