PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson Gary Johnson: I have no contact with Ron Paul

Wren
04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Pundits and commentators have espoused several theories on how the two campaigns will work together — or against one other. One is that the two will tag-team, coordinating and building off their respective campaigns.

In an interview with TheDC on Wednesday, however, Johnson put that theory to rest.

“Given that it is what it is, I have to view it as a positive,” said Johnson when asked about Paul’s candidacy. “Ultimately this is about the issues and the fact that we’re bankrupt.”

But when asked if the Gary Johnson campaign is working with or has had any contact with Paul’s camp, Johnson replied, “No, no contact.”

“So in that context, he’s just another potential candidate.”

The question, though, continues to be whether the Republican presidential primary process is big enough for two libertarian candidates. When it comes down to the numbers, Paul is the one who registers on most presidential polls and has higher name recognition.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/28/gary-johnson-i-have-no-contact-with-ron-paul/#ixzz1KqmWl3JE

This is not going to go away :(

There goes the 'Ron Paul & Gary Johnson secret plan' theory out the window

Flash
04-28-2011, 05:44 PM
There goes the 'Ron Paul & Gary Johnson secret plan' theory out the window

There's no point in having a 'secret' plan if you're going to reveal it to the press.

low preference guy
04-28-2011, 05:46 PM
There's no point in having a 'secret' plan if you're going to reveal it to the press.

Dude, Ron isn't focused on politicking. I believe them that they aren't talking.

Nathan Hale
04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Dude, Ron isn't focused on politicking. I believe them that they aren't talking.

Yeah, Ron is just speaking from the heart and letting the chips fall where they may. No strategists or handlers, nosiree bob. :rolleyes:

This isn't April of 2007. Ron Paul is a multimillion dollar brand with a huge staff that includes quite a few professional politicos.

I'll be the first to agree that Ron and Gary probably aren't having fireside chats, but to say that there aren't backchannels open between the campaigns, especially considering the people currently on staff in both houses....

JohnGalt1225
04-28-2011, 08:49 PM
I think there may be some communication between the two but I doubt they dine together and draw up plans.

Nathan Hale
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I think there may be some communication between the two but I doubt they dine together and draw up plans.

Not that they can or should. It's anathema for candidates to admit to collusion. But considering the teams and the history, I'd be surprised if there was no behind the scenes action.

low preference guy
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I'll be the first to agree that Ron and Gary probably aren't having fireside chats, but to say that there aren't backchannels open between the campaigns, especially considering the people currently on staff in both houses....

There is no communication, but that doesn't mean they won't act rationally. Gary is likely to drop out in time because that's the logical thing to do.

Nathan Hale
04-28-2011, 08:59 PM
There is no communication, but that doesn't mean they won't act rationally. Gary is likely to drop out in time because that's the logical thing to do.

Of course there is no communication...wink wink nudge nudge.

Matt Collins
04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
I don't think the GJ people like Ron very much. That's the impression that I get (just like some of the RP people around here don't like GJ very much)

Nathan Hale
04-29-2011, 06:26 AM
I don't think the GJ people like Ron very much. That's the impression that I get (just like some of the RP people around here don't like GJ very much)

It's a shame because they're both great candidates, and as Peter Schiff said, we're better off having them both in the primary at this stage.

Matt Collins
04-29-2011, 06:51 AM
It's a shame because they're both great candidates, and as Peter Schiff said, we're better off having them both in the primary at this stage.
Yeah, if only everyone around here understood that.

Nathan Hale
04-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Emotions can run high.

Travlyr
04-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Personally, I like Gary Johnson. I think he would make a good Senator and could help us tremendously in that body. If he was more of a strict Constitutionalist, I would be more in favor of him for President.

ChrisDixon
04-29-2011, 01:51 PM

They don't. There are some people in the libertarian circles I don't really speak to anymore purely because I'm a Ron Paul guy and they're Gary Johnson people. They seem hostile. This libertarian schism will not be good for liberty in the immediate future, if it continues.

I can even carry on better conversations with angry neoconservatives who tell me "Ru" Paul is a nut, than some in the Johnson camp. I wish it wasn't so, but that seems to be the reality.

Nathan Hale
05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
They don't. There are some people in the libertarian circles I don't really speak to anymore purely because I'm a Ron Paul guy and they're Gary Johnson people. They seem hostile. This libertarian schism will not be good for liberty in the immediate future, if it continues.

I can even carry on better conversations with angry neoconservatives who tell me "Ru" Paul is a nut, than some in the Johnson camp. I wish it wasn't so, but that seems to be the reality.

I agree that there is animosity, but by no stretch of the imagination is it one-sided.