PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Ron Paul will dominate the debates this time?

Agorism
04-28-2011, 04:35 AM
I've seen so many republicans whose personal views have changes on what we should or should not have done in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Terrorism and 9/11 on repeat hopefully will not work for the party liners this time.

febo
04-28-2011, 05:33 AM
RP's "problem" is he's all about ideas. Voters/Media don't undertand ideas. They don't know how to listen.
Also, RP has been saying the same things for so long he forgets to thoroughly explain himself - this is a big problem if ideas are the basis of his position.

He needs memes - take for example Peter Schiffs new dime meme (from 3:00) - this kind of thing might work - people understand dimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Sv3g7XZdM&feature=feedu

JohnGalt1225
04-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Well we live in a soundbite culture and Ron doesn't usually deliver up too many of those. I think for people who actually watch and listen Ron will win. But the MSM will just play bits of it the next day and people who watch just those bits might come away with a different impression.

cdc482
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Ron Paul will win. "Truth cannot be out-debated"

He's just gotta do his homework before he goes up on stage.

UtahApocalypse
04-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Sadly the fake candidates are also changing there tune this go around. People won't bother to remember, or find out that they were saying different things only two years ago. It will be our job to point out the consistent stance of Ron Paul, and how he has had it right the whole time.

Romulus
04-28-2011, 11:13 AM
They will use his rhetoric and he knows it... he needs to slam them for paying 'lip service' to his record

WilliamC
04-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I remember how Huckabee underwent a shift in his rhetoric during the last campaign that was a blatently obvious in response to Ron Paul's ideas. It was so bad that I started calling Huckabee campaign headquarters in various places, striking up a conversation with the poor supporter who answered the phone using these new "huckabee' talking points, then finally saying something like 'well since it's obvious that Huckabee got these ideas from Ron Paul, since Ron Paul has been talking about them for more than 25 years, does this mean that Huckabee is going to back Ron Paul now?

It got old after a couple of weeks when it was obvious that the Huckabee supporters didn't have any commitment to the rhetoric Huckabee was repeating, they mainly liked that he wore his Christianity on his sleeve.

smartguy911
04-28-2011, 11:24 AM
If he fails to explains during the debate, he will fail.

- Get rid of all dept b/c it's not constitutional is not going to help in the debate
- Just walk home from all the wars is not going to help in the debate
- Dollar Crisis is coming. What the heck is a dollar crisis?

realtonygoodwin
04-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I hope Rand is on his pre-debate prep team.

Romulus
04-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I remember how Huckabee underwent a shift in his rhetoric during the last campaign that was a blatently obvious in response to Ron Paul's ideas. It was so bad that I started calling Huckabee campaign headquarters in various places, striking up a conversation with the poor supporter who answered the phone using these new "huckabee' talking points, then finally saying something like 'well since it's obvious that Huckabee got these ideas from Ron Paul, since Ron Paul has been talking about them for more than 25 years, does this mean that Huckabee is going to back Ron Paul now?

It got old after a couple of weeks when it was obvious that the Huckabee supporters didn't have any commitment to the rhetoric Huckabee was repeating, they mainly liked that he wore his Christianity on his sleeve.

That annoyed me too... Ron knows its coming too

civusamericanus
04-28-2011, 11:34 AM
They will use his rhetoric and he knows it... he needs to slam them for paying 'lip service' to his record
I think you're right on! Ron Paul doesn't need to brush up on his own principles, because his competition will attempt to hijack his principles. Ron Paul needs to study his opponents previous positions and counter their boogus attempts to diminish Ron Paul's impact. However, Ron Paul will stand out strikingly when it comes to the War issue, this is a good thing this time around American's are tired of these wars!!!

surf
04-28-2011, 12:33 PM

- Get rid of all dept b/c it's not constitutional is not going to help in the debate
"we can just come home," is very powerful to me and it is hopefully beginning to resonate with republicans and democrats alike. this, imo, is the simplest issue to sell to skeptics when combined with "we're fucking broke and we can't fucking afford it."

JK/SEA
04-28-2011, 12:59 PM
My advice to Ron on these debates...don't change a thing. Maybe he could wear a DON'T TREAD ON ME SHIRT...lol..

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2011, 01:11 PM
RP's "problem" is he's all about ideas. Voters/Media don't undertand ideas. They don't know how to listen.
Also, RP has been saying the same things for so long he forgets to thoroughly explain himself - this is a big problem if ideas are the basis of his position.

He needs memes - take for example Peter Schiffs new dime meme (from 3:00) - this kind of thing might work - people understand dimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Sv3g7XZdM&feature=feedu

He did have a few catch phrases he used in 2007. Those seemed pretty good. If people aren't receptive to ideas, so be it. I definitely know how you feel, but we need to MAKE this about ideas. We can't conform to the common issue-talk and usual pandering. Ron Paul's message is getting more and more popular, and it would be a step backward to conform to conventional debating tactics. He stands out as it is, and that's good for us. Also, I wouldn't make him dumb down his message no matter what. People need to understand what he's talking about to really understand liberty. Otherwise, they are very subject to being swayed and don't really understand what Paul is about.

Deborah K
04-28-2011, 01:16 PM

This. Posers!!!!

Deborah K
04-28-2011, 01:21 PM
I loved it when he schooled Huck in one of the debates. "Why don't you just crack open the Constitution and read it!!!!!!!?" Epic!!!

goRPaul
04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't understand the question. I thought he did dominate the debates last time.

Cap'n Crunk
04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
I loved it when he schooled Huck in one of the debates. "Why don't you just crack open the Constitution and read it!!!!!!!?" Epic!!!

I think that was Mitt Romney, not Huck. And it was awesome

Deborah K
04-28-2011, 01:48 PM

Was it Mittens? My bad.

JamesButabi
04-28-2011, 01:50 PM
I think Ron needs to work on the confidence he portrays for the debates. He needs people to trust that he knows what hes doing, and that he can lead the country.

"Ive had the same positions for 40 years, the people can trust that I will do what I say"
"Im the only person on the stage with a plan to take care of older people who will rely on the social programs politicians have plunged into bankruptcy."

mello
04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
He needs to remind them all that he told them all how it would go down
in the 08' debates, the housing crash, the undeclared wars, The Financial
meltdown, the Federal Reserve shenanigans, etc. Maybe if they believed
him then we wouldn't be in such a shitstorm now.

Romulus
04-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I think should be in personal attack mode 90% of the time on the debates. None of this trying to 'explain' or 'defend' yourself. Just do full on JUDO.

Its the only way he's going to get some respect. People dont care about the issues so much, they want a President who can verbally slam their opponent and make them look like idiots.

Karsten
04-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't think so. I thought he would dominate in 2007, since there was to be 10 candidates and he was the ONLY ONE with dissenting views. However, he got very little time. Might be a little different now, but I would bet not by much.

Nate-ForLiberty
04-28-2011, 04:40 PM

Ron could say something like...

"It's great that they are coming around finally on [whatever issue]. My colleagues aren't stupid, they know which way the wind blows. The question is, do you want to put your trust and faith in someone who chases the wind or who has been consistent for 40 years?"

chiefsmurph
04-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I love Ron, but his speaking skills are really killing me. He doesn't know how to stick to a point and he often rambles in interviews. He's old. That said I'm sooo excited the Ron Paul Revolution is going to be back at it again and this time winning in 2012!

SimpleName
04-28-2011, 05:14 PM

YES! YES! YES! The "dollar crisis" lines help no one. Can you explain why precisely that happens? And if you can't properly explain in the time limit, don't say it. "Just come home" sounds great to us, but feels like an outlandish simpleton response. Its almost as bad as the opposite "just nuke them." As well, striking off government programs to cut without any mention of how to transition or what could replace the positives the programs offer (i.e. welfare replaced by private charity). He has done some of that in longer form interviews, but the debates offer no time. Again, simply not saying anything is better than saying something without explanation.

I would add that Ron needs to focus on the more mainstream issues. Do not go off about slicing and dicing military funding when it is not directly part of the discussion. That will lose neo-cons every single time. If they ask where Ron wants to cut, he can mention the military and cite something about how even non-war military spending has doubled in the last 10 years (or whatever the stat is). Otherwise, do not drag it in.

libertarian4321
04-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't know about "dominate," but he should do a lot better.

He improved as the debates went along last time, and I expect he is far better prepared this time- both in terms of delivery and knowing what will be coming at him.

heavenlyboy34
04-28-2011, 05:46 PM
I recall that it was Giuliani, after an exchange about 9/11. Ron even gave Rudy a reading list. ;) lulz :)

AtomiC
04-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I think should be in personal attack mode 90% of the time on the debates. None of this trying to 'explain' or 'defend' yourself. Just do full on JUDO.

Its the only way he's going to get some respect. People dont care about the issues so much, they want a President who can verbally slam their opponent and make them look like idiots.

lol agreed!

Matt Collins
04-28-2011, 11:16 PM
We need to raise $2 million on debate day.

febo
04-29-2011, 01:42 AM
I don't understand the question. I thought he did dominate the debates last time.

Good point!
You don't have to win to win.

satchelmcqueen
04-29-2011, 08:41 PM
ron is gonna kill in these debates. romney is toast against him and all the rest will burry themselves.

dude58677
04-30-2011, 10:06 PM
He should just say that the Federal Reserve is a scam that causes poverty so politicians can justify creating welfare programs to get elected. He should also say that Congress should declare war so that the morale of the troops is solid.

HarryBrowneLives
04-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I hope Rand is on his pre-debate prep team.

+1776+1984

Rand never changed his positions, but he did change people's perception of them. Selling Liberty!

ssantoro
04-30-2011, 11:10 PM
He needs to remind them all that he told them all how it would go down
in the 08' debates, the housing crash, the undeclared wars, The Financial
meltdown, the Federal Reserve shenanigans, etc. Maybe if they believed
him then we wouldn't be in such a shitstorm now.

I agree he needs to come across as prophetic.

HarryBrowneLives
04-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Good point!
You don't have to win to win.

In so many ways we have already won. The Fed hasn't been a topic in Presidential politics for 80 years. Think about that. Our debacle in Lybia and Afganistan. Inflation being seen at the pump and at the grocery. The debate is comming our way. I've always said, our movement has everything to gain and nothing to loose. We are looking to win a more free country for the future not merely the next election. An idea who's time has come cannot be stopped by any army and a mind stretched to new ideas never regains it's shape.