PDA

View Full Version : Doug weed praising Huckabee as the man who can beat Obama

emazur
04-27-2011, 01:54 AM
I usually like the stuff he writes and he's always very positive of Ron Paul, so I was saddened to see him write this. Seems he's falling back to his old ways - he was a big supporter of George W. Bush (see Weed speak glowingly of him in the DVD George W. Bush - Faith in the White House). Seems religious figures are able to pull the wool over his eyes

http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/why-mike-huckabee-will-be-president/#comment-5494

For the moment, Mike Huckabee has the best chance of beating Barack Obama. He is likeable. He is vetted. No new skeletons are likely to come out of the closet. He has problems but they are manageable. He is the frontrunner. He is a born again Christian who will own the delegate rich Southern states. And Obama now owns the second worst depression in American history.
Which brings me to the last point. Almost any president following Barack Obama will be seen by history as a good one. America needs a correction. Economically and in foreign policy. What the world needs now is America light. Menthol. Less tar and nicotine. Mike Huckabee was born for this moment.

rp08orbust
04-27-2011, 02:38 AM
I usually like the stuff he writes and he's always very positive of Ron Paul, so I was saddened to see him write this. Seems he's falling back to his old ways - he was a big supporter of George W. Bush (see Weed speak glowingly of him in the DVD George W. Bush - Faith in the White House). Seems religious figures are able to pull the wool over his eyes

http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/why-mike-huckabee-will-be-president/#comment-5494

There's another thread about this article where people argue that it is not an endorsement of Mike Huckabee, just an analysis of the strength of his potential candidacy. Maybe he's looking for a job as a campaign consultant. If so, then Ron Paul needs to hire him before Mike Huckabee does.

Dave Aiello
04-27-2011, 02:43 AM
The problem is that this article proves that Ron has NOT hired doug to be part of his campaign yet. This is a problem. Doug can win Iowa and knows how to win the Evangelicals. He helped Bush do it.

rp08orbust
04-27-2011, 03:16 AM
The problem is that this article proves that Ron has NOT hired doug to be part of his campaign yet. This is a problem. Doug can win Iowa and knows how to win the Evangelicals. He helped Bush do it.

Perhaps you could find out how much it would cost to hire him through the straw poll.

LibertyEagle
04-27-2011, 07:15 AM
There's another thread about this article where people argue that it is not an endorsement of Mike Huckabee, just an analysis of the strength of his potential candidacy. Maybe he's looking for a job as a campaign consultant. If so, then Ron Paul needs to hire him before Mike Huckabee does.

Yes, he sure does need to.

K466
04-27-2011, 07:35 AM
I did not get the sense he was endorsing or supporting Huckabee. He just thinks Mike's chances are good.

erowe1
04-27-2011, 08:14 AM
The thing is, this article is his analysis of what he considers politically most likely. I can't fault him for anything he says here. He may well be right. I'm glad he likes Ron Paul, and I'll be more glad if he overtly supports his candidacy. But I don't expect him to pretend that he thinks Paul's odds are better than he truly thinks they are.

rp08orbust
04-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Yes, he sure does need to.

Does anyone have any idea how we can persuade Ron Paul to hire Doug Wead and follow his strategy for winning the Ames straw poll and the Iowa caucus?

specsaregood
04-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Does anyone have any idea how we can persuade Ron Paul to hire Doug Wead and follow his strategy for winning the Ames straw poll and the Iowa caucus?

There are a number of people that I think could be beneficial. Perhaps we should start a thread to list names and qualifications/why. Then put it up for a sitewide vote?

rp08orbust
04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
There are a number of people that I think could be beneficial. Perhaps we should start a thread to list names and qualifications/why. Then put it up for a sitewide vote?

Jesse Benton appears to be the campaign manager, which I'm OK with. What we're (I'm) asking is for Ron Paul to hire Doug Wead as a consultant so Doug Wead can reveal his "proprietary" Iowa-winning strategy to Jesse Benton so Jesse can implement it.

What other consultants do you think Ron Paul should hire?

specsaregood
04-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Jesse Benton appears to be the campaign manager, which I'm OK with.

Did you actually see that somewhere? I sorta doubt that is true....or hope.

rp08orbust
04-27-2011, 08:41 AM

There isn't an official campaign yet, so I can't see it anywhere. But I think it's a pretty safe bet.

erowe1
04-27-2011, 08:43 AM

The thing is, at this stage, Benton is what I would expect. He may end up hiring someone else. But he needs to raise a bunch of money before he does that. Transitioning from an exploratory committee to an actual campaign may be an appropriate time for that kind of thing.

specsaregood
04-27-2011, 08:43 AM
There isn't an official campaign yet, so I can't see it anywhere. But I think it's a pretty safe bet.

He'll have a role, but i think/hope it won't be as campaign manager. We need a bigtime hired gun.

The thing is, at this stage, Benton is what I would expect. He may end up hiring someone else. But he needs to raise a bunch of money before he does that. Transitioning from an exploratory committee to an actual campaign may be an appropriate time for that kind of thing.
Ok, that was my thinking as well.

emazur
04-27-2011, 10:08 AM
If Glenn Beck had written this article you guys would be going apeshit.

speciallyblend
04-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Ron Paul or Obama if doug weed does not get it, then we deserve obama!!

JohnGalt1225
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't agree at all, I don't think Huckabee's electable in the least. I think his far right wing social views would alienate independent voters, I know I wouldn't vote for him.

speciallyblend
04-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't agree at all, I don't think Huckabee's electable in the least. I think his far right wing social views would alienate independent voters, I know I wouldn't vote for him.

huckabee,obama etc, they have both sides covered so it doesn't bother them(gop est.). It is a show! This is why the gop will not allow Ron paul to win the gop nomination though we are gonna try!! Obama/Bush 2012 Bendover or Ron Paul 2012 or Bust-Literally. These are our options inside the gop primary!! They(gop est.) have to know we will not vote for a gop candidate unless the candidate is strong on defense,non-interventionist and anti-war not like obomba the anti-war peace candidate!!

erowe1
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM

I see it the opposite way.

Obama's extreme socially liberal views are a weakness of his that the GOP needs to exploit if they want to win. One problem McCain had was that he couldn't credibly do that (which is part of why he chose Palin as his running mate). Most voters are pro-life and against gay marriage. The great majority of those who aren't those things are also very liberal on other issues, and Obama already has their votes locked up. Sure, there are a few hybrids out there who are fiscal conservatives and social liberals, and a few of those are so serious about being social liberals that they would vote based on that. But there aren't enough of them to make up for the political advantage social conservatism would give a candidate.

eok321
04-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Does not seem to be an endorsement..

from the comments section Doug has added

"This is part of a series that will eventually cover each one of the GOP candidates."

ChaosControl
04-27-2011, 11:38 AM

It means he'll draw out the social con christian types like Bush did. He will also appeal to some who traditionally vote D, but are socons, due to his more left leaning economic positions. He is also liked by many people on both sides. He very well could beat Obama.

nate895
04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
If anyone was wondering, Wead was almost certainly alluding to Ron Paul in the article when he said this:

His greatest risk would be in skipping the Iowa Cavalcade this summer. It could be the launching pad for a new star that will eclipse him and give such a star a head start from which he can never recover. More about that later.