04-27-2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9h1XHlEPjo&feature=player_embedded

doodle
04-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Were they calling him war criminal?

AuH20
04-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Were they calling him war criminal?

That's underhanded. We don't even know if he's a war criminal. Wearing the uniform doesn't equate to being a war criminal. If you want to bash him on his political stances, be my guest.

doodle
04-27-2011, 12:33 AM
No one said he was convicted war criminal, but some critics do call him war criminal. You didn't know? And it's not because of any uniform but because his alleged conduct.

Frank Lauten: Allen West is a war criminal and was dishonorably ...
“Allen West is a war criminal and was dishonorably discharged from the military for torture. He doesn't have an honest bone in his body, like the rest of ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../allen-west-defends-joyce-kaufman_n_783476_67537368.html -

BeauBalentine
04-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Rep. West was not "dishonorably discharged." A dishonorable discharge is a very severe separation that usually involves a crime like murder or treason. Because the incident was very high profile (and by some opinion immoral) he was probably asked by his superior officers to resign after his tour in Iraq.

On the topic of the disruption caused by the hecklers in the video, I don't really have much sympathy for people who's sole purpose it is to completely disrupt a public forum. By the way, I am not at all a supporter of Allen West or anyone else who would vote to reestablish the Patriot Act. I am however an OIF vet who read the Huffington Post article and felt obligated to comment on their gross and politically jaded misinformation about the incident that made Rep. West infamous.

doodle
04-27-2011, 01:39 AM
I have to agree, disrupting public speech is not proper form just as assaulting or torturing innocent people is not proper. He was not referred for court martial after alleged crimes:

West was charged with violating articles 128 (assault) and 134 (general article) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. During a hearing held as part of an Article 32 investigation in November 2003, West stated, "I know the method I used was not right, but I wanted to take care of my soldiers." The charges were ultimately referred to an Article 15 proceeding rather than court-martial, at which West was fined $5,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_West_%28politician%29

BeauBalentine
04-27-2011, 01:56 AM
An article 15 is an NJP, which is basically a slap on the wrist. There was a saying in the Marines that if you hadn't received one, you weren't a real Marine. That of course is kind of a joke...but I think it goes to show how small an infraction it is; nothing even close to a dishonorable discharge.

As to your sarcastic remark, I personally don't think what he did was right...but to call a field commander's hasty and brash actions on a battlefield a war crime is a bit excessive. I don't exactly have an objective opinion on this subject however. I've witnessed a few good Marines get burned by the courts because they were doing what they were trained to do in a combat situation because of the way the media presented it to the public.

doodle
04-27-2011, 02:06 AM
I agree with the crux of your argument but that did not stop his critics in the past and probably will not in future from calling him a these names. Just as things happen on battlefield, they do on political battlefield too. JF Kerry had pretty much accused US military of serious war crimes in nam on return to US when there were no conviction for alleged crimes.
West is probably just an idiot who managed to get in on the neocon wing TP action, this issue is in the past. I was just pointing out that he has critics who see him as a crimnal.

Reason
04-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Who the f**k is Allen West?

doodle
04-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Based on what I had read, he seems like one of the lesser articulate neocons who think we have freedom in America as a result of war bloodshed in Iraq.

BeauBalentine
04-27-2011, 02:22 AM
I agree with the crux of your argument but that did not stop his critics in the past and probably will not in future from calling him a these names. Just as things happen on battlefield, they do on political battlefield too. JF Kerry had pretty much accused US military of serious war crimes in nam on return to US when there were no conviction for alleged crimes.
West is probably just an idiot who managed to get in on the neocon wing TP action, this issue is in the past. I was just pointing out that he has critics who see him as a crimnal.

Yeah, I know my grandmother likes the guy for some reason. I listened to one of his youtube videos and his speeches sound just like a Btn Commander pep rally. I see what you're saying though, doodle. If he's going to bank so hard on his military service as well he should expect people to be critical of it. He's definitely a polarizing guy...says some wild stuff particularly about Islam.

Civility is a very important virtue to me, and I really can't stand people who act like spoiled children on any side of the isle to get their point across. The intent of my original post was just to express that. That and the fact that West was never dishonorably discharged, which may make me sound like a cheerleader but I'm not. As I stated earlier my primary reason for opposing him is due to the fact that he voted to reinstate the Patriot Act. He is super Hawkish but at least this guy actually served in uniform.

t0rnado
04-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Yeah, I know my grandmother likes the guy for some reason. I listened to one of his youtube videos and his speeches sound just like a Btn Commander pep rally. I see what you're saying though, doodle. If he's going to bank so hard on his military service as well he should expect people to be critical of it. He's definitely a polarizing guy...says some wild stuff particularly about Islam.

Civility is a very important virtue to me, and I really can't stand people who act like spoiled children on any side of the isle to get their point across. The intent of my original post was just to express that. That and the fact that West was never dishonorably discharged, which may make me sound like a cheerleader but I'm not. As I stated earlier my primary reason for opposing him is due to the fact that he voted to reinstate the Patriot Act. He is super Hawkish but at least this guy actually served in uniform.

That means nothing. You're only glorifying people whose choices in life were between McDonald's, Burger King, and going overseas to kill innocent people for college tuition money or some other bullshit reason.

Heckling is the least worst action that can be taken against a piece of shit like Allen West that wants to steal my freedom. I have no respect for anyone that works to limit my liberty.

BeauBalentine
04-27-2011, 03:00 AM
That means nothing. You're only glorifying people whose choices in life were between McDonald's, Burger King, and going overseas to kill innocent people for college tuition money or some other bullshit reason.

Heckling is the least worst action that can be taken against a piece of shit like Allen West that wants to steal my freedom. I have no respect for anyone that works to limit my liberty.

I'm not glorifying anything and I didn't come here to fight with any of you guys. Jesus, I'm a libertarian leaning guy who believes in a non-interventionist foreign policy like most everyone else that frequent this forum. I will say if you go around saying stuff like that about veterans in general you will do more harm than good to the cause of liberty. We're not a bunch of murderous goons and I'd also like to remind you that Dr. Paul received more campaign contributions from active duty military personnel in 2007 than any other presidential primary nominee.

doodle
04-27-2011, 03:08 AM
BB, trying to paint all vets as same is disservice to very large number who conduct with honor and without committing reckless crimes against innocent. Extreme example to make a point, Jeremy Morlock is also a veteran who is doing time for crimes shown in the photos published by german paper.

BeauBalentine
04-27-2011, 03:20 AM
Morlock is a monster and deserves to be hung for the crimes he committed. Yes, there are some terribly bad apples who stain the rest of us with the acts they commit. When I first read about that dude and his "death squad" I became physically ill. One more reason for us to get the hell out of there.

Sorry for derailing the topic so much. Ya'll have a wonderful day.

speciallyblend
04-27-2011, 05:44 AM
allen west= an obama 2nd term.

jmdrake
04-27-2011, 05:54 AM
I have to agree, disrupting public speech is not proper form just as assaulting or torturing innocent people is not proper. He was not referred for court martial after alleged crimes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_West_%28politician%29

From the above article:

Hamoodi then provided West with names and information, what Hamoodi later described as "meaningless information induced by fear and pain."[11] At least one suspect was arrested as a result, but no plans for attacks or weapons were found.[11] West said "At the time I had to base my decision on the intelligence I received. It's possible that I was wrong about Mr. Hamoodi."[11]

The real question for me is, did Mr. West learn from this incident that torture doesn't work? If so that puts him head and shoulders above otherwise intelligent republicans I know who have never served in the military but are gullible enough to believe that John Yoo did a "service for this country" by drafting the torture memos. He should be asked about the incident and what he learned from it about effective ways to gain intelligence. Heckling isn't the proper way, but a press conference is. Or even going up to him later when he's milling in the crowd with and you have your camera running. (Hint to the WeAreChange folks).

pcosmar
04-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Shout him down. And any like him.

A crime is still a crime if it is not prosecuted, or if a deal was made.
Mishandling prisoners is a War Crime. Torture is a War Crime. Regardless of how it was or was not prosecuted.

The last thing we need in this country is another politician with no morals or integrity.

Shout them the fuck down.
:mad:

payme_rick
04-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Maybe we'll find out more on West tomorrow, I think Beck said he'd have him on his radio show...

sailingaway
04-27-2011, 07:33 AM
The Dems are going to town halls planting hecklers and video taping them and are trying to get something going like against the healthcare bill. They are debating what their new reason for being pissed is that people aren't responding the same way.

Matt Collins
04-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Look up Allen West's pork regarding the Ft Lauderdale airport. heh