PDA

View Full Version : The 1 excuse that I get most, on why they don't think Ron Paul would make a good president

puppetmaster
04-26-2011, 08:13 PM
The biggest excuse that they shy away from 100% support from him is that they think he is timid. They are looking for a strong candidate and Ron hits them as too soft to get the job done. I know he is soft spoken, but I hope he can turn on the passion this election cycle and come out as a candidate that will kick ass and take names.

I have had to discuss his soft demeanor about 10 times today to various voters.....
The one thing they like about Trump is the fact that he comes across as a tough guy.
When I bring up the facts about Trump, and that he is no friend of liberty then they pause.....but still they want a STRONG sounding tough guy.

We need to work on Ron Paul = tough guy... and get help to this matter from RP also.

RP 2012

zacharyrow
04-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Anyone who can't see that Ron Paul is tough obviously needs to watch closer. He's had to deal with people laughing at him at debates, saying he has no chance. He's one of the only ones who speaks the truth and you HAVE to be tough to do that. Plus this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88REf0tjZHo

spudea
04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Ron Paul doesn't back down from no man. Evidence from the '08 debates when laughed at by the candidates and the moderators he stuck to his guns and torpedoed Giuliani with a reading assignment. And thats why we love him.

Anybody can talk tough, but when push comes to shove, they're gonna want someone in office with Ron Paul's convictions.

nate895
04-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Wait, they're calling the guy who has cast more lone "no" votes in House of Reps. during his time in office timid? That's pretty strange. I don't think they know what it takes to do that.

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Ron never buckled to ignore his principles under pressure in 30 years in the legislature. ALL the others did.

devil21
04-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes, yes we need another ego maniac blow hard in the Oval Office.

Didn't we learn what we get with Bush and now Obama? Im ready for a President that doesn't think his shit smells like roses.

puppetmaster
04-26-2011, 08:28 PM
I did not make this up....it is from real voters everyday. I know that I cannot be the only one to get these views from voters. I stump for RP everyday and I talk to people that trust me and will tell me how they feel about Ron. They all like him, "such a sweet guy but he is too nice." This is the most common excuse. I know Ron is tough but very large portion of voters have not seen it. It needs to be one of his concerns during this election IMO

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 08:30 PM
This is just so amazing. All the other politicians who 'need the media' pander. Ron doesn't. Period. If they can't see that, they aren't looking.

kahless
04-26-2011, 08:31 PM
I heard similiar to what Puppetmaster posted today and was told that is just the way people are. That they are fine with Ron it is just that they think everyone else will vote for the tall young flashy guy with nice hair and has an in your face personality like Trump.

I am just as guilty as the sheep in pre-judging Ron when I was young. I remember watching a bit of that video above when it actually aired. I remember thinking this unpolished guy seems out there and if I vote for him in the future that it will be an indication I lost my mind. I hate my younger self for that.

puppetmaster
04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes, yes we need another ego maniac blow hard in the Oval Office.

Didn't we learn what we get with Bush and now Obama? Im ready for a President that doesn't think his shit smells like roses.

You can be a tough, strong, and outspoken person and still be humble but you do have to sell yourself to the American voters and you can do it with passion, strength, and conviction and still maintain your principles, like I know Ron will do.

thehighwaymanq
04-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Wait, they're calling the guy who has cast more lone "no" votes in House of Reps. during his time in office timid? That's pretty strange. I don't think they know what it takes to do that.

+98329832932836236232326332

Andrew-Austin
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
The biggest excuse that they shy away from 100% support from him is that they think he is timid. They are looking for a strong candidate and Ron hits them as too soft to get the job done. I know he is soft spoken, but I hope he can turn on the passion this election cycle and come out as a candidate that will kick ass and take names.

I have had to discuss his soft demeanor about 10 times today to various voters.....
The one thing they like about Trump is the fact that he comes across as a tough guy.
When I bring up the facts about Trump, and that he is no friend of liberty then they pause.....but still they want a STRONG sounding tough guy.

We need to work on Ron Paul = tough guy... and get help to this matter from RP also.

RP 2012

Point out it is more courageous to be the dissenter.

You can be a tough, strong, and outspoken person and still be humble but you do have to sell yourself to the American voters and you can do it with passion, strength, and conviction and still maintain your principles, like I know Ron will do.

It sounds to me like these people don't want humble though. Ron is humble, and I think its partly because hes so silently confident, he knows he has put a lot more sincere thought in to matters than anyone else in Washington. He can discuss matters at a length if he wants, beyond sound bytes. The "ego maniac blow hard" types bluster on not because they are confident, but because they know a lot of Americans want an image sold to them.

I think instead of trying to get Ron Paul to act more like the "ego maniac blow hard" types (I like how devil21 said it), we should just try and make these people realize how shallow and foolish their desire for an actor is. Perhaps bring up about how F.D. Roosevelt was restricted to a wheel chair, but desperetly hid this fact from the public in order to sell a more tough, strong, commanding image. If they have a favorable impression of FDR (most do), ask them if they think it is fair or intelligent to say he was a bad Prez because he was handicapped. If they have a unfavorable view of FDR, ask them if they think he was a bad President because of his wheel chair. They will say no, so then you can say "well then Ron's outer facade does not matter then either". If they say no he was a bad President because he made the wrong decisions, then say any "tough actor" can just as readily make bad decisions. Roosevelt projected a stronger image to the public by hiding the truth (that he was handicapped), and still had bad policies and decisions. Hopefully that is a more clear way of demonstrating how irrelevant the facade is.

Johnnymac
04-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Anyone who can't see that Ron Paul is tough obviously needs to watch closer. He's had to deal with people laughing at him at debates, saying he has no chance. He's one of the only ones who speaks the truth and you HAVE to be tough to do that. Plus this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88REf0tjZHo

OMFGROFLMAO that was fucking funny as shit i cant believe i havent seen that hahaha CHUMP!

libertarian4321
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Trump's big mouth will get him in trouble very quickly, which is why he isn't a legitimate candidate.

If he hasn't torpedoed his own campaign by July, I'll be shocked. I guarantee he'll say something so stupid that he'll be considered unelectable.

He's already starting with the birther stuff, and I'm sure he'll start sounding even more deranged as time goes by.

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 08:37 PM
OMFGROFLMAO that was fucking funny as shit i cant believe i havent seen that hahaha CHUMP!

What's ironic is that that is the sort of program they are talking about now with Obamacare etc. In England they are talking about not giving knee or hip replacements to the elderly under their health care program if they don't stick to a diet.

Sentinelrv
04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
The points some of you bring up would make for a great reframe. If somebody tells you that they think Ron is too timid or wouldn't be able to handle the pressure, tell them about his ability to stick to what he believes in the face of teasing and criticism from those who act tough but flip flop on their positions. And if they want proof of this, just direct them to Ron's spotless record. The true test of strength is whether you have a set of principles and are able to remain consistant with them in the face of massive opposition.

torchbearer
04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
my mother said something along the same lines.
I tell her, you will get the government you deserve. If you pick your candidate using superficial reasons, you will get a superficial government.
it makes her shut up and think for a second.

puppetmaster
04-26-2011, 08:42 PM

We all understand how tough this man is. but the fact remains that we alone cannot get him elected unless we garner more support from the masses.
I know I can explain how tough he really is to these folks but I see a pattern that needs to be addressed so that these voters can feel confident about him. I (we) cannot contact everyone and explain.

WE can post how tough he is over and over again here on a board that is a tribute to his principles and toughness but the issue is not getting our support but appealing to a larger voting block keeping his same principles just with a different stronger delivery.

puppetmaster
04-26-2011, 08:45 PM
my mother said something along the same lines.
I tell her, you will get the government you deserve. If you pick you candidate using superficial reasons, you will get a superficial government.
it makes her shut up and think for a second.

right on...this is major issue with certain age groups. This is an issue that prevents us from concentrating on issues during the campaign.

specsaregood
04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
he seems to be the ballsiest person I've seen in a long time. I guess they would prefer somebody like McCain that said in the debates that he would chase osama to the gates of hell, now is supporting and hanging out with al-qaeda rebels in libya?

torchbearer
04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
right on...this is major issue with certain age groups. This is an issue that prevents us from concentrating on issues during the campaign.

I've been using this phrase a lot "i am confident you will get the government you deserve". when people go on about some neocon/big government candidate. everytime it has been a shock to their system. the lesser of two evils argument seems absurd. some people actually have to stop and think about what i'm meaning. but it means exactly what it says.

Mini-Me
04-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I have to agree with everyone here about the irony: Whereas these "strong, Presidential, manly" candidates like Romney are sniveling cowards who resort to ridicule and gangbangs to maintain their facade of strength, Ron Paul is one of the most courageous men I have ever seen or even heard of. He fought for this country all alone for THIRTY YEARS without any real recognition or acknowledgement. That kind of isolation would destroy any ordinary person's soul. After being ignored for so long, he could have given up at any time to be forgotten by history...but he persevered, all alone, because he was doing what he knew was right. As Nate said, he even cast LONE no votes against a sea of groupthink and peer pressure. After all that, he still had the energy and the courage to stand his ground against packs of hyenas in the 2008 debates. His courage and manliness are simply beyond reproach, and I hold more admiration for him because of it than I could ever put into words.

That said, I also understand what puppetmaster is saying: Most people are too superficial to understand the true meaning of courage, but we still need to appeal to them to get their votes. I too hope that Ron delivers his message more forcefully and more passionately than in the last election.

...then again, Ron's delivery is something that is beyond our control. We can ask him to be more passionate, and we can encourage him to come out guns blazing...but his ultimate decision is out of our control. The best thing we can do is use the arguments from this thread to make people reconsider Ron Paul's "timidity."

specsaregood
04-26-2011, 09:14 PM
also, let's not forget. dr. paul is the only candidate for president that had the courage to volunteer to serve in the military.

eOs
04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Found this today on youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ki7_huT4M

puppetmaster
04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
I've been using this phrase a lot "i am confident you will get the government you deserve". when people go on about some neocon/big government candidate. everytime it has been a shock to their system. the lesser of two evils argument seems absurd. some people actually have to stop and think about what i'm meaning. but it means exactly what it says.

The problem is with that statement is that we get the same government that these idiots get as they outnumber us.

This is why I would like to see solid PR and image consultants used in the campaign. Yea I know purists will say "we love Ron just the way he is" but we don't have enough votes to carry him through as evident by the last election.

Remember I am not advocating changing his principles or his platform just looking for a more convincing package from Ron to put the senior voting block at ease with his courage.

Andrew-Austin
04-26-2011, 09:19 PM
The problem is with that statement is that we get the same government that these idiots get as they outnumber us.

This is why I would like to see solid PR and image consultants used in the campaign. Yea I know purists will say "we love Ron just the way he is" but we don't have enough votes to carry him through as evident by the last election.

Remember I am not advocating changing his principles or his platform just looking for a more convincing package from Ron to put the senior voting block at ease with his courage.

I just don't think he'll repackage himself that much. I'm sure he will work on his image a little, after he saw how it helped Rand, but not to the degree you are asking for.

You will have to wait for Rand to run, to get someone who will really focus on his image. Or Johnson, the dude who is even willing to stuff his crotch.

Philhelm
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM

Didn't Trump donate money to Rahm "Ballerina" Emmanuel? Shouldn't that be enough to convince the mainstream "conservatives" that he's a donkey in elephant's clothing? You think they'd not like him.

There's no treading on Ron Paul.

RP 2012

...and 2016.

torchbearer
04-26-2011, 09:21 PM

I have come to understand that Ron is not seeking people's votes, he is seeking their minds. In order for us to change the fundementals of our government, we will need to change the minds of the electorate.
Every person who switches to a libertarian philosophy is stuck for life. they dont go back to big government after understanding liberty.

I, personally, am not a good ambassador of freedom anymore. I've been fighting to long. I tell people the truth- not what they want to hear.

In order for us to get to a voluntary free society the people will need to understand and want it. You don't educate people with half-truths and misdirect words. You educate them with the truth.

puppetmaster
04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Didn't Trump donate money to Rahm "Ballerina" Emmanuel? Shouldn't that be enough to convince the mainstream "conservatives" that he's a donkey in elephant's clothing? You think they'd not like him.

You would think so, but it's not!!? These same people hated Hillary and Rahm but seem to look the other way.....

I personally would be surprised if Trump ran.....I am sure he has way to many skeletons in his closet.

yea...RP 2012 RP 2016.....and

AuH20
04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
I did not make this up....it is from real voters everyday. I know that I cannot be the only one to get these views from voters. I stump for RP everyday and I talk to people that trust me and will tell me how they feel about Ron. They all like him, "such a sweet guy but he is too nice." This is the most common excuse. I know Ron is tough but very large portion of voters have not seen it. It needs to be one of his concerns during this election IMO

I get the same complaints. He comes off as a wimp. Rand is younger and has an edge.

JohnGalt1225
04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." Ron may be humble and more laid back but the man has a steel will. He stands firm on his principles and never backs down from anyone. The masses are drawn to loudmouth blowhards like Donald Trump, who's not actually tough he's just loud.

Philhelm
04-26-2011, 09:59 PM
You would think so, but it's not!!? These same people hated Hillary and Rahm but seem to look the other way.....

I personally would be surprised if Trump ran.....I am sure he has way to many skeletons in his closet.

I don't think he's going to run either. But still, the fact that he donated to Rahm fucking Emmanuel should be enough to not have any support from Republicans/conservatives.

yea...RP 2012 RP 2016.....and

...and Rand Paul 2020 and 2024.

AuH20
04-26-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't think he's going to run either. But still, the fact that he donated to Rahm fucking Emmanuel should be enough to not have any support from Republicans/conservatives.

He donated $4800 this past election cycle to Harry Reid. I'm waiting to hear his explanation. I guess he didn't like Sharon Angle. He's going to hate Ron then. :)

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
A guy who has voted on principle for 30 years and never wavered....timid? lmao

anaconda
04-26-2011, 10:06 PM

RP 2012

Ron's biggest hurdle is to sell a specific military plan that is built around a mainland defense with world wide naval and aircraft patrols. And to make the people believe that it was horrific intelligence blunders that caused 9-11 and that the bureaucratic obfuscation is far worse now. Unfortunately, I see nothing that indicates that he has prepared himself for this epic confrontation to win the GOP base over from the Palin type tea party. I fear he will get beat soundly if he fails to move quickly and decisively on this. He needs to huddle with some military strategists at length and in great depth.

puppetmaster
04-27-2011, 12:28 AM
A guy who has voted on principle for 30 years and never wavered....timid? lmao

Laugh all you want but this is a serious issue with people who we have to get to back Ron. The perceived timidness hurts our chances at a nomination. All I am saying is that this is a common misconception and I feel the campaign staff and Ron need to deal with this.