PDA

View Full Version : Students for Ron Paul?

Imperial
04-26-2011, 03:59 PM
How is this going to work? YAL cannot endorse candidates, but Dr. Paul needs a youth wing for his campaign. Will a new organization be made parallel to it or do we just work within YAL with an understanding we will be simultaneously supporting Dr. Paul?

PBrady
04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Students for Ron Paul? YALers are rolling out Students for Gary Johnson in '12...

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu232/otherbliss/TrollFace.png

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
That is a good question, and I'd be interested in the answer. Jeff Frazee should know.

And to the poster above me, Students for Liberty sponsored GJ at CPAC, they are to the Kochs what YAL is to Ron, kinda sorta as I understand it.

Imperial
04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
bump

madfoot
04-27-2011, 01:40 AM
That is a good question, and I'd be interested in the answer. Jeff Frazee should know.

And to the poster above me, Students for Liberty sponsored GJ at CPAC, they are to the Kochs what YAL is to Ron, kinda sorta as I understand it.

Wait, GJ is a Kochhead? News to me.

Dave Aiello
04-27-2011, 01:59 AM
I don't know why they set themselves up as a 501c4. They crippled themselves a bit. They should start a branch of YAL that is a 527 or PAC - that way they can be publically focused on Ron.

eduardo89
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
So YAL and C4L both can't endorse RP, what can they actually do? Does that mean they can't hand out any RP campaign material?

TheState
04-27-2011, 10:50 AM
<--- Midwest Regional Director for YAL

We'll have more info on this soon, but you'll probably have both groups to some extent. YAL walks a fine (and poorly defined) line of what they can and can't do. As for YAL's role, I'm sure you'll see efforts similar to our midterm 2010 bootcamps and staff hiring in selective areas (but on a much bigger scale).

I'll provide more details as they are passed down.

sailingaway
04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Wait, GJ is a Kochhead? News to me.

I don't know if he is or if he just takes support where he gets it. Reason (Koch funded) likes him better than Ron, as well. I personally think he may just have un-fixed positions on a lot of the issues where the Kochs differ from Ron. His understanding doesn't seem as deep. It is possible they won't be his fixed positions. However, one of the good things about Ron is that his understanding is SO deep he can't be led around by the nose with platitutes about earmarks designed to shift more power to the executive, about free trade to used managed trade to give control of trade to special interests centralized internationally in nonrepresenative ways, etc.

sailingaway
04-27-2011, 10:57 AM
So YAL and C4L both can't endorse RP, what can they actually do? Does that mean they can't hand out any RP campaign material?

members can, the group can't, I guess.

TheState
04-27-2011, 11:00 AM

That depends what you mean by campaign material. YAL and C4L can't hand out material that says "Vote for Ron Paul", but they can hand out material comparing candidates and issues, just no endorsements.

eduardo89
04-27-2011, 11:02 AM
That depends what you mean by campaign material. YAL and C4L can't hand out material that says "Vote for Ron Paul", but they can hand out material comparing candidates and issues, just no endorsements.

Oh ok, thats what I was wondering.

libertybrewcity
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm starting a Students for Ron Paul group at my school probably next semester. I want to attract RP activists that want to actually spread the word on campus. I think when people see Young Americans for Liberty, they might get scared away. Stoked on student activism!

Aldanga
04-27-2011, 12:51 PM
members can, the group can't, I guess.
This is correct. My state coordinator said that we can pretty much do anything as individuals except for stating that YAL supports Ron Paul.

Imperial
04-29-2011, 01:02 AM
<--- Midwest Regional Director for YAL

We'll have more info on this soon, but you'll probably have both groups to some extent. YAL walks a fine (and poorly defined) line of what they can and can't do. As for YAL's role, I'm sure you'll see efforts similar to our midterm 2010 bootcamps and staff hiring in selective areas (but on a much bigger scale).

I'll provide more details as they are passed down.

Thanks!