PDA

View Full Version : You know what bugs me?

Esor
10-26-2007, 12:15 AM
I love politics. I love Ron Paul. I really want to help change my Country for the better.

Then I look at my friends. They couldn't name one Candidate besides Obama and Clinton. They don't vote. They don't care.

I try so hard to inspire them into the world of politics. I don't push my ideals on them, but I just try to get them into voting, into elections, and into the "truth." They don't give a rat's ass. They laugh when I try to talk to them. "Politics don't matter," "We don't have a voice," "You are voting for a Republican guy? You idiot!," "Don't waste money donating to campaigns," "He wont get elected," "Shut up about politics," "noone cares." etc. etc. etc.

It is frustrating to see this in the youth of today. I'm not talking about just one of my friends. I am talking about every single one of my buddies. They have much more important things to do like get drunk, get high, play video games, watch movies, party, etc.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything. I just want to know why people don't care. This is important shit. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who is even aware that the Country is changing, and not for the better.

I can honestly say that I have not convinced one person to vote for Ron Paul in the primary. I think that I am a pretty convincing guy as well.

Duckman
10-26-2007, 12:17 AM
It's how we got into this mess.

Benaiah
10-26-2007, 12:21 AM
I hear ya man. I'm taking a American Government class online and I can't even persuade those guys to follow the primaries at all.

Don't give up hope, though. Since discovering Ron Paul 3 weeks ago, I have converted 2 people at my work, and all of my family. My grandparents will soon be sporting a Ron Paul bumper sticker on their Lexus in San Diego. My mom and 4 younger brothers have been making Ron Paul shirts, passing out literature, and mowing lawns to raise money for Ron Paul. They live in Kentucky. It only took me sending ONE video of Ron Paul to my brother who is currently living over seas. He has passed out Ron Paul fliers to EVERY American he knows in that city, and is constatnly on the phone and email to friends and family stateside.

Don't give up. Just try and find the person like you, or like me. Since discovering Ron Paul 3 weeks ago I've been spending 1-3 hours a day emailing, making phone calls, and hanging signs in my town.

goRPaul
10-26-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm in the same boat. We had the Republican debate in Orlando recently, I told all my friends we were celebrating at a bar downtown, I made "Paulapalooza" flyers and handed them out to everyone at school and work. The only person who showed up was the girl at Fedex kinko's that I had talked to and gave one of the flyers to. She left after an hour, but at least she was cute and interested in the election. That's more than I can say about any of my friends, and I tell them that!

Yeah, its frustrating. Can't say we didn't tell them about the revolution.

Esor
10-26-2007, 12:30 AM
I just have so little time. I haven't yet been able to meet up with my meet-up group. I am going to print off a bunch of fliers and hand them out at school.

Perry
10-26-2007, 12:32 AM
I love politics. I love Ron Paul. I really want to help change my Country for the better.

Then I look at my friends. They couldn't name one Candidate besides Obama and Clinton. They don't vote. They don't care.

I try so hard to inspire them into the world of politics. I don't push my ideals on them, but I just try to get them into voting, into elections, and into the "truth." They don't give a rat's ass. They laugh when I try to talk to them. "Politics don't matter," "We don't have a voice," "You are voting for a Republican guy? You idiot!," "Don't waste money donating to campaigns," "He wont get elected," "Shut up about politics," "noone cares." etc. etc. etc.

It is frustrating to see this in the youth of today. I'm not talking about just one of my friends. I am talking about every single one of my buddies. They have much more important things to do like get drunk, get high, play video games, watch movies, party, etc.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything. I just want to know why people don't care. This is important shit. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who is even aware that the Country is changing, and not for the better.

I can honestly say that I have not convinced one person to vote for Ron Paul in the primary. I think that I am a pretty convincing guy as well.

America deserves the disaster that is coming upon us.
It will be the same disaster that befell the Roman empire. We will go out not with a bang but a whimper.
All due to our own complacency.

texasbelle
10-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Different generation same problem for me too. I wish people would wake up!! I cant be mad at them though. I never really followed politics until recently myself. At least not a year before the general election! But I am addicted to Ron Paul. My 3 yr old daughter even recognizes Ron Paul's face on tv (when he is on!) So hopefully when we do our part to inform people they will google Ron Paul and be hooked too!!:p:p;)

American
10-26-2007, 12:39 AM
This is a revolution and Ron Paul is the leader....RIGHT NOW. But he has said many times he is happy to see the young people....and....its to carry the message into this century and hopefully fight the good fight for liberty.

Unfortunately history says usually nothing ever really happens unless something dramatic happens and everyone gets hurt or least wakes up. Let hope we can impress enough people to make this happen RIGHT NOW!

If we cant, the message has inspired me to do what I can for as long as I live, this "wave" of support cant be ignored and I'm sure there alot of real conservatives like Dr. Paul who will build from this.

Esor
10-26-2007, 12:42 AM
this "wave" of support cant be ignored and I'm sure there alot of real conservatives like Dr. Paul who will build from this.

It is the least I can hope for :)

Ozwest
10-26-2007, 12:52 AM
The bright side of this, is those same people who "don't give a damn" will sit on their apathetic arses come primary and general election time... With a minority of passionate people, who will go vote, Ron Paul will surprise. This is his secret weapon.

Richandler
10-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Penn Jillette says it best, "the only way to waste your vote is to vote." Though this years is an exception with Paul and his following.

Esor
10-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Penn Jillette says it best, "the only way to waste your vote is to vote." Though this years is an exception with Paul and his following.

I think it is the opposite "the only way to waste your vote is to not vote." I remember when I was 13 or 14 I begged my 18 year-old-sister to vote for me. To this day she has not even registered.

goRPaul
10-26-2007, 01:11 AM
The best way to waste your vote is voting for a Democrat or a Republican, barring significant exceptions.

fj45lvr
10-26-2007, 01:39 AM
yeah hang in there....you can fulfill the requirements of being a patriot and uphold our DUTY in the Declaration of Independence.

Even if paul were elected it will be a WAR...the powers that be are not simply going to "roll over"!!!

Luckily as Paul says HIS IDEAS will eventually happen because of the coming "crash".....so educate yourself and spread the message and also PLAN for the future (if you have some savings get some gold or silver and I would suggest learning how to shoot and getting a gun....I think the "crash" is going to be real ugly and the "militia" will be necessary again.

McDermit
10-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Try to find something they DO are about.

I know tons of people who would tell me to shut it if I talked about the Fed, the economy, healthcare, Giuliani, or pretty much anything else political. But when you find one thing a person cares about and play it up, you an usually get them at least a little interested. (War on Drugs is usually a hit with the people I know. RP's stance has turned about 20 formerly apathetic non-voters in to ative RP supporters and voters. Foreign policy/Iraq helps. Tax free tips act for servers/bartenders/etc. Guns rights if that's their thing. Find something.)

At the very least, tell them you'll shut up about politics if they all register repub as a favor to you (if you've in a closed primary state) temporarily and will vote paul in the primary. If they do, you won't mention RP or the race at all until the day of the primary when you remind them to vote. Their votes don't matter anyay according to them, so what's taking 20 minutes out of their day to do a favor for a friend? Hell, they can even vote absentee and never have to leave their houses.

NewEnd
10-26-2007, 03:05 AM
I gave up in about 2003.

;)

2007 has restored my faith a little.

centure7
10-26-2007, 03:15 AM
I gave up in about 2003.

;)

2007 has restored my faith a little.

I gave up 6 months after I voted Bush in 2000 and he was already raising taxes. It was the first time I voted but I was screwed over. It really turned me off. That said, I reluctantly dragged myself to the 2004 polls for Badnarik(LP). After his weak showing I gave up completely until a couple weeks ago.

noxagol
10-26-2007, 03:16 AM
The only time you waste your vote is when you are voting for someone that doesn't really represent what you think. Your vote is your main voice in government, if you don't cast it for someone saying the same things you are, you have wasted it.

And not voting is not bad. Not voting is showing contempt of the system because you are disgusted with everyone. And look at people who do, ask them why. I am willing to bet that most will tell you it doesn't matter because all politicians are crap, which is almost true.

If you want to really get them involved, force them to hear a clip of Ron Paul talking about what he wants to do, like social security, the war, and the income tax. If this doesn't win over young people, nothing will.

RonPaulCult
10-26-2007, 03:23 AM
The American people have been conditioned to not care. The powers that be want us to be dumb.

Energy
10-26-2007, 03:45 AM
This has worked quite well for some of my formerly apathetic friends:

Figure a way to have your friends watch this YouTube video:
Ron Paul: A New Hope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA

Tell them all they have to do is watch it and you won't bug them again. Make any reason.

It works because youtube caters to people's short attention span. Everybody loves youtube and it's a sneaky way to slip Ron Paul into their awareness at a site they're familiar with.

Someone here said that video "switched a Navy Seal Fred Head boss in one viewing." :)

johngr
10-26-2007, 03:51 AM
The bright side of this, is those same people who "don't give a damn" will sit on their apathetic arses come primary and general election time... With a minority of passionate people, who will go vote, Ron Paul will surprise. This is his secret weapon.

I agree with you but if I had my choice between Ron Paul winning and absolutely noone voting for for any federal office, I would not hesitate to choose the latter.

misconstrued
10-26-2007, 03:56 AM
I feel your pain Esor :(