PDA

View Full Version : Last Night on Fox News Red Eye, "Choose GJ or RP" Nick Gillespie, Andy Levy & Ann Coulter.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Andy Levy posed the question (shows libertarian) to Nick Gillespie from Reason. Nick said he didn't want to choose and Andy said, "Come on." Nick said, Gary Johnson and Andy agreed.

Ann Coulter chimed in "No way, Ron Paul." Funny enough, the whole hour.... only two candidates from GOP mentioned.

Conclusion: Both Andy and Nick like both but, admit their preference to Gary (both happen to not be base Republicans but, NY and LA Libertarians) meanwhile, Ann seemed sympathetic to Ron Paul. Granted we know her view is "everything but foreign policy."

Just an update from my favorite Fox News show.

Dreamofunity
04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
t00b

Lucille
04-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Ann Coulter chimed in "No way, Ron Paul."

Some consistency would be nice from her.

http://youtu.be/HPygNYXXQGk

Jeremy
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
I was at the Stossel taping, and during the break Stossel said the same thing. He said he supports both, but would vote for Gary over Ron.

Jeremy
04-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Some consistency would be nice from her.

http://youtu.be/HPygNYXXQGk

"No way, Ron Paul." would mean that there's no way she would support Gary over Ron Paul. So that's pretty consistent...

Lucille
04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
"No way, Ron Paul." would mean that there's no way she would support Gary over Ron Paul. So that's pretty consistent...

Oh! I see! My mistake. Well then good on her.

SWATH
04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
With Ron running again, we again find ourselves at a witness mark where we can see if all those supposed "patriots" will put their money and reputation where their mouth is or see if they have just been talking shit all this time since now it cost nothing to be a "patriot".

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I was at the Stossel taping, and during the break Stossel said the same thing. He said he supports both, but would vote for Gary over Ron.

Ron Paul Republicans seem not to be enticed by Gary. Movement libertarians seem more open to him. Honestly, Gary does nothing for me, but I came to this through Ron.

Mary Ruwart I like, there are some 'strict libertarian' types I like, but the big L power types don't seem to go there.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Oh! I see! My mistake. Well then good on her.

She's about Ron Paul except on foreign policy. She also is very Pro-Life and not so big on the marijuana issue but, says it's the least of our worries.

The other two are just stark raving mad lunatic libertarians. ;)

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Ron Paul Republicans seem not to be enticed by Gary. Movement libertarians seem more open to him. Honestly, Gary does nothing for me, but I came to this through Ron.

Mary Ruwart I like, there are some 'strict libertarian' types I like, but the big L power types don't seem to go there.

The three mentioned above for GJ are all pro-choice.

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
The three mentioned above for GJ are all pro-choice.

Oh.

Wren
04-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Will Koch industries be preferring Gary over Ron as well?

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Oh.

That's a basic issue where they differ. Ron's against all choice and GJ is up to viability of fetus. Honestly, I think it's the fundamental issue between the two but, won't change in our lifetime and it's an issue I don't decide on.

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Will Koch industries be preferring Gary over Ron as well?

They have, so far. But his obvious failure at capturing Ron's support might put an end to their overt support of GJ.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 10:32 AM
They have, so far. But his obvious failure at capturing Ron's support might put an end to their overt support of GJ.

Source? Do you have a source where they have supported or preferred Gary over Ron?

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 10:33 AM
That's a basic issue where they differ. Ron's against all choice and GJ is up to viability of fetus. Honestly, I think it's the fundamental issue between the two but, won't change in our lifetime and it's an issue I don't decide on.

I think the issue is more Ron's greater understanding of the web of issues that are interrelated on finance and civil liberties and war and self determination/local government. It seems to me Gary picks and chooses and doesn't have a coherent philosophy that drives him. I could be wrong, but I looked for one and didn't find it.

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Source? Do you have a source where they have supported or preferred Gary over Ron?

More their funded entities, Reason and Students for Liberty (funded by Koch fellowships) who brought him to CPAC etc. And he is more globalist than Ron. His support of NAFTA (which I understand he might rethink but was in place in 2010) is a Koch type policy. They benefit from corporatism. I'm not saying they've taken it incredibly far yet, but I think they are backing him at least testing the waters. It is just a conclusion I've reached. But there has also been a divide between them and Ron, so a libertarian voice more 'on their side' would be attractive to them in any event.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 10:37 AM
I think the issue is more Ron's greater understanding of the web of issues that are interrelated on finance and civil liberties and war and self determination/local government. It seems to me Gary picks and chooses and doesn't have a coherent philosophy that drives him. I could be wrong, but I looked for one and didn't find it.

Maybe you should read his book. It's based on his 7 principles he's talked about for about a decade.

sailingaway
04-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Maybe you should read his book. It's based on his 7 principles he's talked about for about a decade.

I'll check some reviews of it and see if it seems interesting. I was asking his supporters if he had anything like that and was just yelled at.

Travlyr
04-26-2011, 10:43 AM
I searched for a book written by Gary and didn't find one. Do you have a link?

Dreamofunity
04-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Gary doesn't do much to excite me. I'd vote for him over Obama. I'd vote for him over any mainstream Republican, excluding RP, but I don't think I'd even be motivated enough to campaign for him (possibly in the GE, but definitely not in the primary say RP wasn't running).

When we brought GJ to FSU, he stated he supported Guantanamo Bay. Right there basically ends it for me.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 10:54 AM
he stated he supported Guantanamo Bay. Right there basically ends it for me.

So you don't support Rand Paul

Dreamofunity
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM

Not if that was his message while running for President.

I don't mind it on the lower-tier of politics, but if they're going to be the torchbearer for liberty, I'd prefer they were 100%.

Edit: Full disclosure, I view the presidential run as a educational campaign, and to that extent, I'd rather the full ideas of liberty get out. Others disagree with this, and to the 'electable' sense, I'd agree GJ might have a better chance - maybe not this year, but in the future. Same with Rand.

Travlyr
04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Found it. Available next month.

Seven Principles of Good Government

Author: Gary Johnson

Price: $100

ouch.

http://ouramericainitiative.com/pre-order-now

emazur
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I searched for a book written by Gary and didn't find one. Do you have a link?

I've been to his advocacy website before
http://ouramericainitiative.com/
and saw him offering a book that he signed for like $100 but can't find it now.

Red Eye has free audio podcasts available here:
http://feeds.foxnewsradio.com/redeyepodcast
I haven't listened to last night's episode

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Found it. Available next month.

Seven Principles of Good Government

Author: Gary Johnson

Price: $100

ouch.

http://ouramericainitiative.com/pre-order-now

Yeah, it won't be that price. That was a "Donor" deal where he signed it.

Dreamofunity
04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Can't find it on Amazon; I'm guessing once it's actually released it'll be all over the place, they're probably just keeping it exclusive to get some extra donations for the moment.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Can't find it on Amazon; I'm guessing once it's actually released it'll be all over the place, they're probably just keeping it exclusive to get some extra donations for the moment.

His publisher was offering it last week. No clue what they are doing with it.

Wren
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
he stated he supported Guantanamo Bay. Right there basically ends it for me.

He just flat out said he supported it? Well, that just ends any further skepticism I had of him.

Dreamofunity
04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
He just flat out said he supported it? Well, that just ends any further skepticism I had of him.

He gave practical/pragmatic reasons for it, said it (or something like it) was necessary.

Although, I don't really want to turn this into a RP vs GJ thing, and like Bama said, it is similar marketing to Rand's campaign. The guy may not be perfect on everything, but he's better than most everyone else, bar one.

I just personally can't get that excited over him.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 01:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrVeUWTLXI

Wren
04-26-2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrVeUWTLXI

I would be extremely disappointed if he voted in support of gitmo, but like dreamofunity stated, he ran for the senate not the presidency so I was willing to be lenient. I like Rand better than Gary Johnson, but I still wouldn't support him for president if he ran and still supported leaving gitmo open. The whole idea of gitmo was one of those things that pissed me off immensely during the Bush years, and I still haven't forgotten about it.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
I would be extremely disappointed if he voted in support of gitmo, but like dreamofunity stated, he ran for the senate not the presidency so I was willing to be lenient. I like Rand better than Gary Johnson, but I still wouldn't support him for president if he ran and still supported leaving gitmo open. The whole idea of gitmo was one of those things that pissed me off immensely during the Bush years, and I still haven't forgotten about it.

You do realize both Rand and Johnson want to have trials for the people inside then, close Gitmo.

SWATH
04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
He said since Obama said he wanted to close it in the campaign but now doesn't then that must mean there is a good reason for keeping it open. Which to Johnson that reason may be drugs, I have privy info that a lot of drugs smuggled from South America to here go through Guantanamo and the smugglers are in collusion with and aided by our military/government.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
He said since Obama said he wanted to close it in the campaign but now doesn't then that must mean there is a good reason for keeping it open. Which to Johnson that reason may be drugs, I have privy info that a lot of drugs smuggled from South America to here go through Guantanamo and the smugglers are in collusion with and aided by our military/government.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x94nkj_murs-the-science-new_music

Wren
04-26-2011, 01:50 PM
You do realize both Rand and Johnson want to have trials for the people inside then, close Gitmo.

The people there were captured and put in without any evidence that they were enemy combatants. The US knew hundreds of Gitmo detainees were innocent or low-risk but still kept them there. It is despicable to think that inmates were held without trial on the basis of flawed information or statements from suspects who had been abused or tortured. The federal courts are a co-equal branch of government and judges are constitutionally protected from interference whereas military commission judges and prosecutors have no such protection. The majority of them deserve the right to a fair trial in a civil court.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 01:53 PM
The people there were captured and put in without any evidence that they were enemy combatants. The US knew hundreds of Gitmo detainees were innocent or low-risk but still kept them there. It is despicable to think that inmates were held without trial on the basis of flawed information or statements from suspects who had been abused or tortured. The federal courts are a co-equal branch of government and judges are constitutionally protected from interference whereas military commission judges and prosecutors have no such protection. They deserve the right to a fair trial in a civil court.

That's debatable that it needs to be a civil trial. I've seen a live debate between two law professors who support Ron Paul on this issue. I think this is new territory for our system. I can't think of another time the US captured people on another countries land and help them in captivity without a trial in a non US land.

iamse7en
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
I'd love to get a tube of this segment, if anyone has one. Searched YouTube and only found them talking about the McDonalds thingy.

Feeding the Abscess
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM

It was wrong when Rand did it, and it will be wrong if Johnson does it.

Related, it seems that Raimondo's "cosmotarian" assessment is beginning to ring true.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 02:04 PM
It was wrong when Rand did it, and it will be wrong if Johnson does it.

Related, it seems that Raimondo's "cosmotarian" assessment is beginning to ring true.
How so? Raimondo is a dumb ass who said some weak shit about Rand and had to admit he was wrong. He'll have to do the same with Johnson.

BamaFanNKy
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
I'd love to get a tube of this segment, if anyone has one. Searched YouTube and only found them talking about the McDonalds thingy.

At 41:40 it starts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbsPu7_S_Og

Feeding the Abscess
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
How so? Raimondo is a dumb ass who said some weak shit about Rand and had to admit he was wrong. He'll have to do the same with Johnson.

Rand was toying with some pretty stupid language to entice red meat voters. Nobody should be criticized for being worried about what he was saying in his primary and general election. If anything, I'd give Raimondo a hat tip for being willing to revisit Rand's positions and re-evaluate what he thought of him. I'll take a harsh, reluctant critic over someone who will cheerlead someone simply because he shares a last name with an icon.