PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore sends parents to jail for truant kids

doodle
04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Incredible:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110425/us_yblog_thelookout/baltimore-sends-parents-to-jail-for-truant-kids

Theocrat
04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
That is further proof that the government believes it owns our kids. I am furious that that has happened. :mad:

TheNcredibleEgg
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
So while the parents are in jail, who gets sent to jail if the kid still skips school?

(Please, please, please be the State.)

Theocrat
04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
So while the parents are in jail, who gets sent to jail if the kid still skips school?

(Please, please, please be the State.)

Whoever has custody of the kid. You see, it's never the kid's fault...

doodle
04-25-2011, 07:52 PM
That is further proof that the government believes it owns our kids. I am furious that that has happened. :mad:

Then you should not read this:

Homeless woman prosecuted for enrolling son in Conn. school

By Liz Goodwin liz Goodwin – Fri Apr 22, 4:13 pm ET
Connecticut authorities have filed theft charges against Tanya McDowell, a homeless woman, alleging that she used a false address to enroll her son in a higher-income school district, The Stamford Advocate reports. If she's convicted, McDowell may end up in jail for as many as 20 years and pay a $15,000 fine for the crime.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110422/us_yblog_thelookout/homeless-woman-prosecuted-for-enrolling-son-in-conn-school

It's like we're spreadin freedom left and right here too these days and not just in Libya and Bahrain.

nate895
04-25-2011, 07:57 PM
You're shocked by this? That's one of the first things they told me about truancy in school: You and your parents can go to jail. They hardly enforce it on the kids, and even more rarely on the adults, but they will occasionally try to make an example of someone.

Kludge
04-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Many states don't have laws like this (yet). Pretty shocking they have a "truancy office," too.

Madly_Sane
04-26-2011, 08:57 AM
You're shocked by this? That's one of the first things they told me about truancy in school: You and your parents can go to jail. They hardly enforce it on the kids, and even more rarely on the adults, but they will occasionally try to make an example of someone.

Exactly my thoughts. I missed 54 days of schools in 8th grade and never had a truant officer come check me out.

scottditzen
04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
These cities are reaching the height of frustration.

Yes, it's unconscionable that people are going to jail.

But I'd like to know how we, as a society, are going to deal with these children whose parents refuse to act responsibly.

belian78
04-26-2011, 09:11 AM
I would say that woman was acting very responsibly. She is wanting the best opportunity possible for her child. Of course, if you were referring to the initial story, why would we need to do anything? If a parent wants to raise an idiot with no life skills, unfortunately that's their right.

Kludge
04-26-2011, 09:12 AM
These cities are reaching the height of frustration.

Yes, it's unconscionable that people are going to jail.

But I'd like to know how we, as a society, are going to deal with these children whose parents refuse to act responsibly.
Be a better role model. If the parents are incompetent, someone needs to step in, either to take the kids directly, or just get the kids to take good advice. That's pretty much the only option, and that's why government will fail in its task to "fix" parents/children by sending them to jail. Some kids will always be disadvantaged by poor parents, teachers, and friends.

robmpreston
04-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Meanwhile murderers and the like get a slap on the wrist in Baltimore and find themselves out on the street for any number of reasons. This city is run so poorly...

Krugerrand
04-26-2011, 09:53 AM
from OP link:

And one Michigan prosecutor wants an ordinance passed to send parents who miss parent-teacher conferences to jail for three days a pop.
yeah ... great idea. :rolleyes:

doodle
04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
To be devil's advocate, parent-teacher conferences are where it all happens.