PDA

View Full Version : POLITICO - Rand and Ron Paul: The libertarian Kennedys

KramerDSP
04-25-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm shocked this has not been put up on Gen Pop (my nickname for General Politics) yet.

Rand and Ron Paul: The libertarian Kennedys - by Jonathan Martin

Ron Paul, the Texas congressman, is thinking about another presidential run. His son, Rand, the newly elected Kentucky senator, has a book out and is himself travelling to early states and keeping open the possibility of a White House bid. And another Paul progeny, Texas doctor Robert Paul, has recently flirted with the idea of attempting to join his brother in the Senate.

Call them the libertarian Kennedys.

Four years after the family patriarch was mocked as a gadfly during his failed presidential bid—his second—the 75-year-old Paul is more recognizable than ever. And there are signs of a dynasty in the making, with his devoted following likely to be passed down to his children even if his White House hopes end with this election.

Ron’s discussion of a probable run and Rand’s recent dalliance—and seemingly inevitable future bid—offer a vivid preview of the future: the Pauls, to the consternation of some in their Republican Party, are here to stay.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53640.html#ixzz1KYsxuAPz]

I think some people will be angry that the Paul's are being compared to the Kennedys, but I think this article is Politico's way of saying Ron Paul has changed the GOP forever, despite every attempt made to squash him back in 2007. The article is not perfect, but let's put this in perspective.

On May 14, 2007, RP was an unknown. 24 hours after that day, he got into a public argument with one Rudolph W. Giuliani. The day after that debate, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, said that Ron Paul was done, kaput, toast.

Four years later, Ron Paul has 75% name recognition amongst likely Republican GOP voters. He is credited as the intellectual godfather of the Tea Party. His son is the Junior United States Senator from Kentucky, and another one of his sons is getting press for probably not wanting to run for office at this time. Every person who interviews him wants to know if he is going to run for the Presidency again. Esquire magazine just did a profile that opened with saying that RP is "the most important politician in this country". And now, Politico is suggesting that the ideas of Ron Paul are here to stay.

We are winning!

ETA - 250+ comments on the story so far.

sailingaway
04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
There's a thread on this in Rand's forum. Since I already commented there I won't do it again. I think it might be the new meme to marginalize Ron's run though, that he exists to set up Rand, nevermind that Politico doesn't use the word 'mainstream' to describe Rand when he himself is in an election.

I hope they are right in the sense of many Paul's having a huge impact going forward, but it would be nice if they weren't comparing Ron to a bootlegger.

low preference guy
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
“It was frustrating for us because he was not acting like his Dad,” said Trey Grayson, the Kentucky Republican who lost to Rand in the primary last year

lol!