PDA

View Full Version : Obama on Bradley Manning: “He broke the law”

bobbyw24
04-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Following a fundraising speech on Thursday, President Obama was asked about the case of whistleblower Bradley Manning.

He responded, “I can’t conduct diplomacy on an open source. That’s not how…the world works. If you’re in the military, and — I have to abide by certain classified information. If I was to release stuff that I’m not authorized to release, I’m breaking the law…We’re a nation of laws. We don’t individually make our own decisions about how the laws operate… He broke the law.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/04/obama-on-bradley-manning-he-broke-the-law/

RM918
04-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Already found guilty and sentenced. Even if you're one of the people who believe he should be executed for betraying the military's confidence or whatever, for daring to give us a peek at the unlawful shenanigans our government pulls which has led to no deaths while the /real/ criminals, the real murderers who perpetuated these wars on blatant lies and refuse to stop murdering people overseas are allowed to walk free and clear...how can you support him being declared guilty and sentenced with no trial?

Austrian Econ Disciple
04-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Following a fundraising speech on Thursday, President Obama was asked about the case of whistleblower Bradley Manning.

He responded, “I can’t conduct diplomacy on an open source. That’s not how…the world works. If you’re in the military, and — I have to abide by certain classified information. If I was to release stuff that I’m not authorized to release, I’m breaking the law…We’re a nation of laws. We don’t individually make our own decisions about how the laws operate… He broke the law.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/04/obama-on-bradley-manning-he-broke-the-law/

That is the definition of ironic.

jackers
04-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Especially by the "Commander in Chief" of the military. It's one huge conflict of interest.

fisharmor
04-25-2011, 06:46 AM
When I ponder the way our last two presidents were decent orators in front of teleprompters but fumbling idiots when answering questions on-the-fly, it makes me wonder exactly what the hell is going on.
First, exactly how does a man even get close to the seat of power of the most powerful country on Earth, if he doesn't even possess a coherent enough political philosophy to be able to answer simple questions without stumbling?
Second, how is it that the supposed (I don't believe it anymore) most powerful man on Earth doesn't get called out for the most simple and blatant errors in his responses?

Exactly what "stuff" are you not authorized to release, Mr. President?
Exactly who is it who authorizes what is and is not appropriate for release, Mr. President?
Exactly who is it who will exercise oversight on you if you did release this "stuff", Mr. President?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but fer fuck's sake, it's getting way to hard not to be anymore.

akforme
04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
I thought looking forward was the motto for those who broke the law? Or is that just for past presidents and those who break the same laws Obama has or intends too.

acptulsa
04-25-2011, 10:44 AM
First, exactly how does a man even get close to the seat of power of the most powerful country on Earth, if he doesn't even possess a coherent enough political philosophy to be able to answer simple questions without stumbling?

Nixon taught the public not to trust intelligent candidates, and we've been fed figureheads since one beat Carter. Perhaps we can teach the public to look above these puppets and see who has control of the strings. I do remember a Jay Leno bit where he went to some California mall and asked quite a few people who the vice president of the United States was.

Aratus
04-25-2011, 11:04 AM
like how did a buck private GET access to a DVD's worth of secrets???
can we say there is a flaw to the system and he was only a figleaf for
someone else's greed or ambition? was there a continual leak all along?

Freedom 4 all
04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Um, isn't Obama breking the law too with all the, you know, unlawful shit that was revealed in the wikileaks report? Not to mention all the blow he snorted in his youth. What a dirty hypocrite. He probably knows how full of shit he is too, cause he can't form a coherent opinion on it.

Brian4Liberty
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
When I ponder the way our last two presidents were decent orators in front of teleprompters but fumbling idiots when answering questions on-the-fly, it makes me wonder exactly what the hell is going on.

Top politicians have speechwriters and powerful interests behind them that dictate policy. They are nothing but puppets.

Brian4Liberty
04-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Scooter Libby was convicted of violating the same law. What happened to him?

ababba
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Rosa Parks broke the law too, but she was clearly justified. I don't care whether something is illegal, the question is whether society is better off by punishing that something or not.

Humanae Libertas
04-25-2011, 01:03 PM
"We're a nation of laws", is typical Neo-con rhetoric.

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Ah, its so nice seeing the Democrats on other boards I go to do backflips excusing this one. "Obama is only human" or "I don't see how this is a problem".

Edit: BTW, this would be AWESOME (sad to say) to hang around Obama's neck. Much like how Bush had the Mission Accomplished banner hung around his. Someone on Ron's campaign staff needs to consider making political hay out of it for an ad.

Now, I realize that it sucks for PFC Manning, but if a big enough stink is raised, perhaps he can be acquitted because the prosecution is so tainted that he cannot have a fair trial.