PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Jobs Bill HB587 -- EXPLAINED !

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2011, 01:23 PM
ETA CURRENT VERSION of presentation (http://www.scribd.com/doc/53897698/Presentation-Ready-HB587-Jobs-Bill-Summary) added to top OP for easy retrieval.

Click here to view or download the PDF file (http://www.scribd.com/doc/53737274/First-Public-Draft-of-HB587-NC-Job-Growth-committee-presentation) summarizing/explaining House bill 587 in it's first public draft.

Here is one way to beat back at the over-reaching state by striking the root of the regulatory burden through process reform. I believe a replication of such efforts nationwide would lead to a much MUCH freer market for all people.

Weigh in on the presentation and help improve it through suggestions here or on the Scribd site (http://www.scribd.com/doc/53737274/First-Public-Draft-of-HB587-NC-Job-Growth-committee-presentation).

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2011, 03:00 PM
ping

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Didn't want to download the necessary software to use the link above, but probably should have. I used the link you posted the other day and about went blind. Don't know if that's the most updated version.

I wonder if the state budget office is going to have to hire more people to do this. One would hope they're busy enough to earn their pay without this. Thought I saw language that said they would work on reviewing existing regulations, as would the blue ribbon commission. But I didn't see language that indicated that they would work together. If you can get a meaningful review of all of the state's regulations in that report, fifty grand seems like a hell of a bargain.

I always get nervous about language stating that bureaucrats can overturn the work of elected represenatives. But then again, the sad fact is that those elected to represent the people all too often fail. No reflection on you, but I can imagine what some of your colleagues are like. So, it looks like this may well be the lesser of evils.

I absolutely see the need to exempt action in the event of 'a serious and unforeseen threat to public health, safety and welfare', but when I think of how the word 'welfare' has changed meaning over the last couple of centuries I fear that the edges of this will be stretched to the point where you can drive a bus through it. Maybe it's just me. In any case, I think some provision must be made. Probably a necessary evil. I just wonder if it's possible to tighten that up without making a fifty word compound sentence out of it that leaves even more room for 'interpretation'.

All in all, I say it's a win for your constituents. Good luck shoving it through! God knows we need to do something similar on the federal level. And there's no doubt in my mind that, if properly done, this initiative will give North Carolina a real competitive advantage over many other states.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Ping yourself.

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Didn't want to download the necessary software to use the link above, but probably should have. I used the link you posted the other day and about went blind. Don't know if that's the most updated version.

I wonder if the state budget office is going to have to hire more people to do this. One would hope they're busy enough to earn their pay without this. Thought I saw language that said they would work on reviewing existing regulations, as would the blue ribbon commission. But I didn't see language that indicated that they would work together. If you can get a meaningful review of all of the state's regulations in that report, fifty grand seems like a hell of a bargain.

I always get nervous about language stating that bureaucrats can overturn the work of elected represenatives. But then again, the sad fact is that those elected to represent the people all too often fail. No reflection on you, but I can imagine what some of your colleagues are like. So, it looks like this may well be the lesser of evils.

I absolutely see the need to exempt action in the event of 'a serious and unforeseen threat to public health, safety and welfare', but when I think of how the word 'welfare' has changed meaning over the last couple of centuries I fear that the edges of this will be stretched to the point where you can drive a bus through it. Maybe it's just me. In any case, I think some provision must be made. Probably a necessary evil. I just wonder if it's possible to tighten that up without making a fifty word compound sentence out of it that leaves even more room for 'interpretation'.

All in all, I say it's a win for your constituents. Good luck shoving it through! God knows we need to do something similar on the federal level. And there's no doubt in my mind that, if properly done, this initiative will give North Carolina a real competitive advantage over many other states.

I thought everybody had the software to read pdf files. the site is scribd. you should be able to just click the green "download" button and go with the PDF from your downloads folder.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 04:36 PM
I thought everybody had the software to read pdf files. the site is scribd. you should be able to just click the green "download" button and go with the PDF from your downloads folder.

Yeah. Shoulda. But I got mule-headed and just didn't. Don't know why not.

Anything useful in there?

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah. Shoulda. But I got mule-headed and just didn't. Don't know why not.

Anything useful in there?

The PDF is of the slides of the presentation that I will be using to explain the bill in the Committee on Commerce and Job Development, Subcommittee on Business and Labor. This is the document from which I will be arguing the case for this bill during committee hearings. We haven't added notes yet but they are forthcoming.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Well break a leg, as the thespians say. Every legislature in this country needs to clear out the underbrush. I'm proud of you for playing with matches! :D

Pericles
04-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Like the idea, not sure about how effective the execution of the plan will be. Agencies are masters at creating rules and process management. Not sure you can define a process that stops crap other than every agency rule and regulation not approved within 90 days by the state legislature is repealed on day 91.

That allows for "emergency" actions with the proper legislative oversight. If the legislature gets bogged down with rule and regulation reviews, well that tells us something, too.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
If nothing else, it will hamstring further regulations nicely. This could and should cut down abuse in favor of special interests.

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Like the idea, not sure about how effective the execution of the plan will be. Agencies are masters at creating rules and process management. Not sure you can define a process that stops crap other than every agency rule and regulation not approved within 90 days by the state legislature is repealed on day 91.

That allows for "emergency" actions with the proper legislative oversight. If the legislature gets bogged down with rule and regulation reviews, well that tells us something, too.

Well, the members of the commissions will be charged with removing barriers to market entry, expansion, and hiring specifically. When that is their statutory duty I do hope that they at least try to carry it out.

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2011, 04:52 PM
If nothing else, it will hamstring further regulations nicely. This could and should cut down abuse in favor of special interests.

Maximizes individual power. A single person has standing to challenge the regulation. Points towards personal sovereignty, and a free society.

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure about the utilities section. How do you back off the commons on utilities?

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Not sure I understand 'back off the commons', but Oklahoma has a seperate corporation commission for dealing with utilities. If in doubt, you could simply exempt regulations that affect only monopolies.

GunnyFreedom
04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Not sure I understand 'back off the commons', but Oklahoma has a seperate corporation commission for dealing with utilities. If in doubt, you could simply exempt regulations that affect only monopolies.

government direct services. Taxpayer money on water, recycle, sewer, and trash collection. the commission is directed to weight the position of the consumer when passing judgments for all utility disputes. OSBM ovrsight, Leg oversight.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm with you. I'm inclined to say don't bite off more than you can chew. Anything that enjoys a monopoly may just have to be handled differently, and seperately.

Sorry I had to run. Easter and all that. Hope yours was a good one. And if it rains as steadily when this fat batch of storms reaches you, you'll want to have waders on hand. Word to the wise.

GunnyFreedom
04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Latest version has some significant improvements.

Language grammar spelling perfectionists, proofreaders, general help and critical improvement people I'm calling you lol ;)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53884383

GunnyFreedom
04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I do hate asking people to DL a PDF, but I got it down to 2.1MB and the more "wow" this keynote gets, the more likely it will earn "aye's" from the couple glassy-eyes lot on both sides of the aisle. LOL, really though, this is as much the full presentation as it is a tool for one-on-one explanation of the bill.

just keep wanting to make it better....

GunnyFreedom
04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Bumping for the artsy types that may want to help make it better :D

GunnyFreedom
04-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Makin it better, Makin it more likely to pass

aclove
04-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Glen. This talking points will be helpful in crafting a new statewide C4L email. Do you know when you'll be briefing the other subcommittee members?

GunnyFreedom
04-25-2011, 06:30 PM
First presentation-ready draft:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53897698/Presentation-Ready-HB587-Jobs-Bill-Summary

Adam, I am aiming at not this week but next week Wednesday.

This Wednesday is not even on the House Calendar yet but I don't expect it to magically appear that soon, and if it does I can back it out a week.