PDA

View Full Version : Sam Richards: A radical experiment in empathy

My First Name Is Paul
04-24-2011, 04:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IgOVOPLTYI

Vessol
04-24-2011, 05:03 AM
Before I watch anything related to TED, I ask whoever posted it one question: Is the solution a massive Statist solution? Sorry, but 90% of videos from TED I've seen have been just that: The State can fix any problem.

EndDaFed
04-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Before I watch anything related to TED, I ask whoever posted it one question: Is the solution a massive Statist solution? Sorry, but 90% of videos from TED I've seen have been just that: The State can fix any problem.

No, it's one long thought experiment. It does not even talk about solutions.

Travlyr
04-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Good healthy skepticism. ;)

TED does that to me too, but this one is good.

The unwillingness to empathize is fundamental to destruction.

Vessol
04-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Well I watched it.

First thoughts. This guy sounds like a normal college liberal ranting about the wars, I would've sworn he was 20 years younger if I didn't look at the video. That's good and all, but I guess it was really nothing new to me. And considering the main audience of TED conferences(liberals), I hate to say this, but this just comes off as one big circle jerk.

I've always been a very empathetic person, so much so that I actually get bothered emotionally(though I hide it well) when others are emotionally bothered. This is actual a pretty bad detriment to me, I wish I wasn't so empathetic because those around me have abused it way too much in the past.

A few things to nitpick as well. "Their oil" "our oil" "our resources" "their resources". So the Iraqi people own the Iraqi oil? That sounds very nationalistic and reminiscent of central planning, both of which I am opposed to. Certainly it may be better if the "Iraqis" controlled "their" oil, but the same thing would happen as in every other country. Instead of the resources going to a small elite in another country, it will go to more local elite parasites.

Empathy is a problem if you're a cold-blooded neoconservative I guess. But the main problem is moral consistency. There is no moral consistency with liberal or conservatives. Liberals are against us using violence to steal the oil from Iraq, however they have no problem if our own government uses violence to steal my property. Sorry, that's inexcusable and that is the true problem.

My First Name Is Paul
04-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Is this one statist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEMkvT0DEk