PDA

View Full Version : How about John Dennis-style straw poll at the RLC in New Orleans?

rp08orbust
04-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Last month, the Republican Liberty Caucus of California (chaired by John Dennis) conducted their own straw poll at their booth within the GOP convention in Sacramento, and not surprisingly, Ron Paul won. What was surprising is that the straw poll actually gained some media attention (in spite of it not being endorsed by the GOP and its inherent bias toward pro-liberty Republicans, i.e., Ron Paul). As one example, see http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/03/ron-paul-wins-one-groups-2012.html

Since it doesn't look like there will be an official straw poll at the Republican Leadership Conference this year in New Orleans, could a pro-liberty group pull the same kind of brilliant publicity stunt? I.e., host a booth likely to attract liberty-loving Republicans, conduct a straw poll, and announce the results to the media?

sailingaway
04-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Yeah, but if it is advertised in advance, RLC might do their own, and I agree with people who would just as soon there not be one because there are too many contests that actually MATTER coming up. YAL could certainly do one as they did at CPAC, but they are obviously affiliated with Ron.

Matt Collins
04-24-2011, 10:43 AM
The RLC may not let an outside group such as the Republican Liberty Caucus or the CFL come in and set up a booth. And if they did the cost of doing so may not be worth it.