PDA

View Full Version : OH - Police Chiefs group "misappropriated" $5,000,000 fed anti terror funds.

Anti Federalist
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
$5 million of terror grant was misused by police chiefs group

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/04/15/copy/5-million-of-terror-grant-was-misused.html?sid=101

An eight-month federal Homeland Security audit has confirmed that the Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police mismanaged and misspent almost $5 million in federal grants designed to develop a statewide police network to help fight terrorism and other crime.

Questionable expenses included sending 20 Ohio police officials to Turkey and more than $800,000 in bonuses paid to the executive director of the Dublin-based association.

While the Ohio Local Law Enforcement Information Sharing Network is in operation today, and has been credited with helping statewide police agencies fight crime, its cost has been questioned.

The nonprofit association received about $21 million in Law Enforcement Terrorist Prevention Program grants from 2004 to 2006. Almost a quarter of that must now be returned to the federal government, even though it has been spent.

Advertising and program and membership fees remain existing sources of revenue for the group.

According to the report, released to the Ohio Department of Public Safety this week, more than $4.8 million in expenditures "were unallowable because they were unrelated to the grant activity, misclassified, outside the period of performance, or not supported by receipts or invoices."

sailingaway
04-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Questionable expenses included .... more than $800,000 in bonuses paid to the executive director of the Dublin-based association.

Just questionable?

Vessol
04-24-2011, 08:45 AM
I'd rather they be wasting the money on vacation trips and extra bonuses rather than buying armored troop carriers and tanks.

specsaregood
04-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Just questionable?
Silence mundane!

specsaregood
04-24-2011, 08:47 AM
I'd rather they be wasting the money on vacation trips and extra bonuses rather than buying armored troop carriers and tanks.

I'm not so sure. Do we really want our police learning police procedure from countries such as turkey? Does turkey have the equivalent of the 4th amendment?

Vessol
04-24-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm not so sure. Do we really want our police learning police procedure from countries such as turkey? Does turkey have the equivalent of the 4th amendment?

With things are they are now, I think some of our own boys in blue could give some tips to the Turks on how to keep a populace in line.

Pericles
04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
With things are they are now, I think some of our own boys in blue could give some tips to the Turks on how to keep a populace in line.
Take a vacation in Turkey, and get back to me on that.