PDA

View Full Version : Tom Delay - "I like to think of Ron as 'The Conscience'"

crhoades
10-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Hmmm...Ron's the conscience and not the Baptist minister? That'll get some distance... :)

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_534701.html

DeLay spoke highly of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul, a Pittsburgh-area native and Texas congressman who DeLay had succeeded in 1985.

"I've known Ron a very, very long time -- I like to think of Ron Paul as 'The Conscience,'" DeLay said. "You've always got to have a conscience."

DeLay said the GOP has to work to defeat Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton next year.

"We've got to be on the ground," said DeLay, when asked how Republicans could stop a second Clinton presidency. "Grassroots is more important today than money."

0zzy
10-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Oh, that's so cool!

literatim
10-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a political ad.

"Bring the conscience of the Republican Party to the White House."

"Bring the conscience of the Congress to the White House."

"Bring the conscience of America to the White House."

cac1963
10-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Hmmm...Ron's the conscience and not the Baptist minister? That'll get some distance... :)

DeLay spoke highly of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul, a Pittsburgh-area native and Texas congressman who DeLay had succeeded in 1985.

"I've known Ron a very, very long time -- I like to think of Ron Paul as 'The Conscience,'" DeLay said. "You've always got to have a conscience."

DeLay said the GOP has to work to defeat Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton next year.

"We've got to be on the ground," said DeLay, when asked how Republicans could stop a second Clinton presidency. "Grassroots is more important today than money."

Anyone slightly to the left of neocon ideology considers DeLay as corrupt as they come. An endorsement of any kind from him would dampen ALOT of closet liberal Paul supporters.

cac1963
10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a political ad.

"Bring the conscience of the Republican Party to the White House."

I agree. I like the conscience connotation, will start using it in the daily dialogs.

NewEnd
10-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Shows how much consideration DeLay ever gave his conscience

Energy
10-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Anyone slightly to the left of neocon ideology considers DeLay as corrupt as they come. An endorsement of any kind from him would dampen A LOT of closet liberal Paul supporters.

I agree. Remember Abramoff? (Abramoff allegedly provided DeLay with trips, gifts, and political donations in exchange for favors to Abramoff's lobbying clients) and Terri Shiavo: DeLay called the removal of the feeding tube "an act of barbarism." DeLay faced accusations of hypocrisy from critics when the Los Angeles Times revealed that he had consented to ending life support for his father, who had been in a comatose state because of a debilitating accident in 1988.

Bradley in DC
10-25-2007, 10:59 PM
DeLay was personally (and his staff too) helpful to Dr. Paul (and his staff) innumerable times.

american.swan
10-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Shows how much consideration DeLay ever gave his conscience

hahahahahahahah Absolutely Brilliant.

me3
10-25-2007, 11:01 PM
He's a politician, and he's partisan. Doesn't mean he can't help, but of course we don't want any entangling alliances.

american.swan
10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
DeLay was personally (and his staff too) helpful to Dr. Paul (and his staff) innumerable times.

Last time I checked none of the bills Ron Paul introduced have become law, much less even pass the house, so whatever help DeLay ever gave, sure didn't amount to much.

TechnoGuyRob
10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
He's also a pedophile...

EDIT: Nevermind, that was that other guy, Foley. :p

scottabing
10-25-2007, 11:04 PM
It is perfect that he used the word "conscience". For all that he has done wrong he is saying that Ron Paul represent truth and honesty... Even though he may not.

skiingff
10-25-2007, 11:15 PM
skiingff predicts this will be the centerpiece of a new RP newspaper ad:

PRINCIPLED PAUL

"I like to think of Ron Paul as 'The Conscience.'"
- Tom DeLay, October 25, 2007

con·science [kon-shuhns]
noun
A feeling of shame when you do something immoral.

Congressman Ron Paul:
Feels shameful that the Republican party supports big government and more taxes.
Feels shameful that the Republican party continues to support the unjustified occupation of Iraq.
Feels shameful that the Republican party continues to be divided by scandals & corruption.
Feels shameful that the Republican party is continuing down a dangerous, dark path that will lead to it's downfall.

"You've always got to have a conscience."
- Tom DeLay

Vote for "The Conscience" of the Republican party. Vote Ron Paul.

------

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

As a Doctor, he didn't accept Medicare or Medicaid, instead treating patients for FREE or arranging payment plans for them.
As a father, he put his 5 children through college from his own pocket, without borrowing a dime from the federal government.
As a Congressman, he's never supported spending taxpayer money for Congressional medals. In fact, when his very close friend, Ronald Reagan, was offered a Congressional medal, Ron Paul put in $100 and asked the 434 other members of the U.S. House to put in $100 as well. Together, they could have raised well over the $40,000 needed for the medal. No one took Ron Paul up on his offer, and the bill was passed.

As former Treasury Secretary William Simon said, Dr. Paul is the "one exception to the Gang of 535" on Capitol Hill.

Ron Paul: Politician or Statesman?

Primbs
10-25-2007, 11:17 PM
There are alot of former Republican congressmen who regret that they voted for increased spending over the last eight years and are trying to repent.

Perry
10-25-2007, 11:18 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

klamath
10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
skiingff predicts this will be the centerpiece of a new RP newspaper ad:

PRINCIPLED PAUL

"I like to think of Ron Paul as 'The Conscience.'"
- Tom DeLay, October 25, 2007

con·science [kon-shuhns]
noun
A feeling of shame when you do something immoral.

Congressman Ron Paul:
Feels shameful that the Republican party supports big government and more taxes.
Feels shameful that the Republican party continues to support the unjustified occupation of Iraq.
Feels shameful that the Republican party continues to be divided by scandals & corruption.
Feels shameful that the Republican party is continuing down a dangerous, dark path that will lead to it's downfall.

"You've always got to have a conscience."
- Tom DeLay

Vote for "The Conscience" of the Republican party. Vote Ron Paul.

------

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

As a Doctor, he didn't accept Medicare or Medicaid, instead treating patients for FREE or arranging payment plans for them.
As a father, he put his 5 children through college from his own pocket, without borrowing a dime from the federal government.
As a Congressman, he's never supported spending taxpayer money for Congressional medals. In fact, when his very close friend, Ronald Reagan, was offered a Congressional medal, Ron Paul put in $100 and asked the 434 other members of the U.S. House to put in $100 as well. Together, they could have raised well over the $40,000 needed for the medal. No one took Ron Paul up on his offer, and the bill was passed.

As former Treasury Secretary William Simon said, Dr. Paul is the "one exception to the Gang of 535" on Capitol Hill.

Ron Paul: Politician or Statesman?

I really really like this. This would make a great ad!

Duckman
10-26-2007, 01:16 AM
I like the kind words, and I do like the "conscience" buzz, but I think we should keep DeLay's name out of our flyers and videos, because the name is a little bit radioactive because of the corruption charges.

Starks
10-26-2007, 01:22 AM
DeLay is the ultimate scumbag...

That's perhaps the first intelligent thing he's ever said in his entire life.

Ready2Revolt
10-26-2007, 01:35 AM
His old district contains Sugarland which is a well to do community of the Houston area.

RP4ME
10-26-2007, 01:41 AM
Watch all teh bad guys come out and endorse Paul know in an effort to defeat him.....A Bush endorsement hahahaha! J/k but this made me think about thta...

RP4ME
10-26-2007, 01:42 AM
It is perfect that he used the word "conscience". For all that he has done wrong he is saying that Ron Paul represent truth and honesty... Even though he may not.

Mcin has said he is the most honest man in Congress....what does that say about Mcain?haha

Starks
10-26-2007, 01:56 AM
Delay and Santorum are the ultimate neocon scumbags.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-26-2007, 02:41 AM
I think Tom DeLay still carries a bit of weight among neo-cons.

Im still half expecting a few of these guys to repent and say:

"I have been screwing this country over for the past 30 years, Ron Paul had it right all along, and its not too late to fix it. Everyone vote for Ron Paul, if you want to save America."

Valene
10-26-2007, 03:31 AM
There are alot of former Republican congressmen who regret that they voted for increased spending over the last eight years and are trying to repent.

After watching this video, the only repentance I would accept is everyone of them needs to crawl on their hands and knees to every home in America and beg forgiveness.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6yiuQaQjkTU

LibertyEagle
10-26-2007, 04:48 AM
After watching this video, the only repentance I would accept is everyone of them needs to crawl on their hands and knees to every home in America and beg forgiveness.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6yiuQaQjkTU

The Democrats aren't any better. They have the power in their hands to stop this war by de-funding it. That is the role of the House, but they refuse to do it.

BuddyRey
10-26-2007, 04:58 AM
Please tell me this is a joke. The thought of that crook Tom DeLay endorsing my favorite candidate leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Brinck Slattery
10-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Haha seriously, Delay didn't have a conscience of his own, so he pins it on another person.

Rob
10-26-2007, 06:46 AM

He obviously rarely listened to his "conscience." At least he recognizes who has high ethical standards in politics. If only more voters would realize the same.

constituent
10-26-2007, 07:24 AM
i would think of Ron Paul being spun as Tom Delay's Conscience as a problem...

is it just me?

of course... he is just like Jesus and stuff, so I don't know.

bulloncoins
10-26-2007, 08:04 AM
They just don't come any scummier than Tom Delay. He would be poison to Dr. Paul here in Houston, to any but the hard core neo-cons.

If I didn't know Dr. Paul, and heard Tom Delay was endorsing him, I would not even give him a second look. I am willing to bet that was the whole idea behind this "endorsement"....I doubt Dr. Paul would even want it from him.

runderwo
10-26-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't know how many times it can be said...the campaign has no control whatsoever over other people's endorsements. How would you stop them? Put duct tape over their mouths? If you would have ignored Ron Paul's message and record because of someone you don't like endorsing him, I think that's a sickening indictment of your attitude towards freedom of expression.

DaronWestbrooke
10-26-2007, 08:16 AM
They just don't come any scummier than Tom Delay. He would be poison to Dr. Paul here in Houston, to any but the hard core neo-cons.

If I didn't know Dr. Paul, and heard Tom Delay was endorsing him, I would not even give him a second look. I am willing to bet that was the whole idea behind this "endorsement"....I doubt Dr. Paul would even want it from him.

Yea, I don't want to be associated with that guy.

angelatc
10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
He obviously rarely listened to his "conscience." At least he recognizes who has high ethical standards in politics. If only more voters would realize the same.

I'm not an Alex Jones listener. but he has a video on his site that I watched. It is a camp, Bohemian Grove, where rich male leaders go to spend quality time bonding. Jones snuck in and brought back the first known film of the events inside.

Now, Jones's take on the whole thing is teemed with demonic overtones, which I don't buy into, if for no other reason that those elite alpha males are not going to worship anything except themselves.

But while most of the tape was a bore, the end of it was freaky - the "speech" that the idol gives at the main event talks about the evil of care, implying that they have to set aside their consciences to accomplish their goals.

I found it very unsettling.

TooConservative
10-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Normally, you hear talk of some old senator as the conscience of the Senate. There have been a few such members of the House though. George Norris was one that comes to mind. When he approached retirement, they finally gave in to his progressivism and passed the Tennessee Valley Authority to try to modernize the South and bring it into the modern age. Of course, its electricity didn't really benefit the hillbillies much for quite some time as the Manhatten Project started and consumed so much electricity that nearly all of the TVA's electricity went to produce the first atomic bombs, not to bring radio and lights to impoverished Southerners.

Speaking as a politician, Tom is giving some pretty high praise to Dr. Paul. He's saying that Ron Paul is above petty politics, a principled man who isn't afraid to speak out.

bulloncoins
10-26-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't know how many times it can be said...the campaign has no control whatsoever over other people's endorsements. How would you stop them? Put duct tape over their mouths? If you would have ignored Ron Paul's message and record because of someone you don't like endorsing him, I think that's a sickening indictment of your attitude towards freedom of expression.

I have no problem with freedom of expression....Infact I feel quite free to tell you to jump off. ( And that is putting it as nicely as I can.)

You are correct, we have no control over who endorses Paul, but we don't have to embrace it. Tom Delay is scum.

LFOD
10-26-2007, 08:34 AM
But while most of the tape was a bore, the end of it was freaky - the "speech" that the idol gives at the main event talks about the evil of care, implying that they have to set aside their consciences to accomplish their goals.

I found it very unsettling.[/QUOTE]

That's the essence of "Satan" worship isn't it? Satan, not as some uber bad dude from Hell, but our own tendencies towards selfishness and greed.

billv
10-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I thought the GOP ran Delay against Ron for a senate bid in the 90's?

kylejack
10-26-2007, 10:30 AM
The Hammer truly is scum, so let's not go around hyping this positive comment of his. There's also the fact that he's done quite a bit to harm Ron Paul in the past, starting with backing a former Democrat against Ron Paul in the primary.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Anyone slightly to the left of neocon ideology considers DeLay as corrupt as they come. An endorsement of any kind from him would dampen ALOT of closet liberal Paul supporters.

Ron Paul can't help who supports hm. Technically, Ron Paul is "left" of neo cons, more like North Mid-left :p damn.. it sucks being a libertarian, what am I? The north? I get no fun with the mainstream political spectrum :(

mainstream political spectrum:

(left) liberal - moderate
centrist (moderate all on issues)
moderate - conservative (right)

Where the hell is libertarianism?

Tina
10-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Please tell me this is a joke. The thought of that crook Tom DeLay endorsing my favorite candidate leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Yeah, I agree. He has to have an agenda. :confused:

kylejack
10-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Ron Paul can't help who supports hm. Technically, Ron Paul is "left" of neo cons, more like North Mid-left :p damn.. it sucks being a libertarian, what am I? The north? I get no fun with the mainstream political spectrum :(

mainstream political spectrum:

(left) liberal - moderate
centrist (moderate all on issues)
moderate - conservative (right)

Where the hell is libertarianism?

Nolan chart, yo.

runderwo
10-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I have no problem with freedom of expression....Infact I feel quite free to tell you to jump off. ( And that is putting it as nicely as I can.)

When my opponent resorts to personal attacks... :rolleyes:

You are correct, we have no control over who endorses Paul, but we don't have to embrace it. Tom Delay is scum.

You did not say anything about "embracing" DeLay. You said the simple endorsement would have turned you off to Ron Paul permanently.

Before I jump off a cliff as you've requested, if I as your opponent endorse everyone else in the world, will that turn you off to everyone else permanently?

:rolleyes:

RP4ME
10-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm not an Alex Jones listener. but he has a video on his site that I watched. It is a camp, Bohemian Grove, where rich male leaders go to spend quality time bonding. Jones snuck in and brought back the first known film of the events inside.

Now, Jones's take on the whole thing is teemed with demonic overtones, which I don't buy into, if for no other reason that those elite alpha males are not going to worship anything except themselves.

I found it very unsettling.

and what about the evil of care did you not find demonic?

ButchHowdy
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Delay has had a lot of time in the 'wilderness' to stew over how he abused Ron Paul, especially by his part in gerrymandering Ron's district. Of course, Ron had the last laugh by winning anyway!

But . . . if Tom Delay is truly repentant, we must show forgiveness. I just did and I'm starting to feel better already!

JosephTheLibertarian
10-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Nolan chart, yo.

MSM doesn't use that chart, yo

Bladestunner316
10-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Good find Chris!!!!!

kylejack
10-26-2007, 02:36 PM
MSM doesn't use that chart, yo

Help them learn!

Hurricane Bruiser
10-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Tom Delay has some baggage but I also admire him for other things. It would be wise to not mention him much but I do like the tag of being the "Conscience." We need all the friends and support we can find from all quarters.

Revolution9
10-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Now, Jones's take on the whole thing is teemed with demonic overtones, which I don't buy into, if for no other reason that those elite alpha males are not going to worship anything except themselves..

Which is entirely the precept with demonic magicks. Do you think they are worshipping demons or gathering the demons power unto themselves? Black magick is a totally selfish act for personal ego aggrandisement and emotional power. It is neither divine nor miraculous..but it is a technology nonetheless and its effects when it pops up and takes over entire socieities to bring them to their knees are littered throughout human history.

Best Regards
Randy

Corydoras
10-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Let's not use his endorsement... but let's hope he activates his network of acquaintances to get out of Ron Paul's way!

erowe1
10-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Anyone slightly to the left of neocon ideology considers DeLay as corrupt as they come.

It's possible to be to the left of neocon ideology?

erowe1
10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Let's not use his endorsement.

Well, ok. That's good. Because we don't have his endorsement.

Nathan Hale
10-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Here;s a quick factoid: Ron Paul is the reason that we've heard the name Tom Delay. It was Paul leaving his seat back in CD-22 back in the 80s that allowed Delay the chance to get elected.

freelance
10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
i would think of Ron Paul being spun as Tom Delay's Conscience as a problem...

is it just me?

Um, no, it's not just you! Kril comes to mind whenever I'm reminded of Tom DeLay.