PDA

View Full Version : What warm state still has the most liberty? IE: AZ, NM, TX etc?

Reason
04-23-2011, 11:55 PM
If my g/f & I wanted to move to a south western state for the sake of greater liberty and cheaper housing (currently in San Diego) where should we look?

How does New Mexico, AZ, Texas, compare to each other in terms of liberty and housing costs?

BuddyRey
04-24-2011, 12:08 AM
I don't know about southwestern states, but among southern states in general, South Carolina is probably the best of the bunch. I live a couple dozen miles north of the state line, and crossing it is almost like touching down on an alien landscape where everybody's friendly (except for tourists), and cops will pretty much leave you alone. Fireworks are legal there too, so a lot of NC'ers simply cross the state line and smuggle home all their trunks will hold. But perhaps I've said too much...

If I lived on the west coast however, I'd be looking at Wyoming, especially for their gun laws, which are the best in the entire country, IMO.

Reason
04-24-2011, 12:09 AM
I don't know about southwestern states, but among southern states in general, South Carolina is probably the best of the bunch. If I lived on the west coast however, I'd be looking at Wyoming, especially for their gun laws, which are the best in the entire country, IMO.

I am looking at AZ, NM, & TX because I don't like living in snow & I don't want to be outside of driving distance from San Diego =)

Kregisen
04-24-2011, 12:17 AM
AZ is fairly good but very neo-conish...what's interesting is our liberal republican jan brewer just vetoed a bill that would legalize guns on public walkways on public college campuses....and increased our sales tax to around 9%, and refuses to cut spending.

Then you have sheriff joe wasting resources on his games as sheriff of maricopa county.

The weather is usually nice though and it's a 6 hour drive from phoenix to san diego. There is a decently strong libertarian hold in arizona though, so except for maybe texas, arizona is probably your best bet for libertarian and lack of snow.

majinkoola
04-24-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm from Arizona, in Maricopa County (where Phoenix is).

The gun laws here are as good as anywhere. Don't need a permit for concealed carry. And I suspect gun ownership rate is really high.

Housing here is ridiculously cheap right now, as long as you aren't moving to like Scottsdale or Paradise Valley.

Worst DUI laws in the country. I don't have one but pretty much everyone I know does, and the penalties are a big revenue generator for the state. There's a lot of speed and red light cameras generating revenue for the state as well.

Taxes are probably middle of the road. Sales tax is ~10% now, as the Republican governor and hordes of public workers pushed through a 1% sales tax recently. State income tax isn't very high.

The Republican congress is pretty good though. My main problem with them is that immigration takes precedence over everything. For instance, they introduced a new bill recently (not SB1070, a different one) that would completely cut off all public benefits for illegal immigrants, which I think is a great thing in that it would cut the state dramatically. The problem is that the bill would give police more power in questioning people, on top of the fact that there already is a law affecting business negatively which makes all the employers use E-Verify.

Some good ballot propositions passed recently as well. Medical marijuana, anti-Obamacare, right of secret ballots for unions, and ending affirmative action.

Pinal County (Tucson area) is a lot more statist. I wouldn't want to go there.

All in all, I'd say the police state is average at best, but economically the state is pretty good.

Anti Federalist
04-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Bah...snow...there's nothing to it, it's just crystallized water vapor.

Hell, it snowed about an inch here just today.

Stop being a bunch of pussies and get your asses to NH.

:p

BamaAla
04-24-2011, 01:03 AM

GTFO; it was 85 and sunny here today! I'm distinctly southern, and I don't think I could live anywhere else.

I hope you find what you're looking for Reason. I've never lived in any of those states, so I don't have much to offer other than to say that I enjoyed Arizona more than Texas or New Mexico.

Edit: What about Utah or Colorado?

low preference guy
04-24-2011, 01:04 AM
GTFO

that^!

eduardo89
04-24-2011, 02:13 AM

I used to love living in the cold. I lived 14 years in Canada, then northern Scotland, then Germany, then Moscow...Now I've been in Spain for 2 years and for me anything below 65 is cold :p

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 03:50 AM
I'll let you in on a secret, but you've got to promise not to tell anyone.

No photo radar at all. No front license plates to make it possible.
Best homeschooling laws in the nation.
One of the least onerous tax burdens in the nation.
The kind of conservatives who, no matter how neoconnish, won't tell you to your face your libertarianism is wrong because their pioneer grandparents taught them too well, and they know in their hearts we aren't wrong.

Oh, we have snow. Sometimes it lasts a whole week before it melts. And, indeed, we see more weather in your average April than San Diego sees in a decade. And it isn't perfect, by any means. Gets a little theocratic. You'd be surprised what you can't do on Sunday. And the liquor stores are closed by law on election day until after the polls close, believe it or not. Old fashioned is a two edged sword. But here, the American Tradition is not dead.

Next time you fly over flyover country, grab a parachute and say howdy! Because no state in the Union will make you feel more welcome.

eduardo89
04-24-2011, 03:53 AM
What state is that??

Sola_Fide
04-24-2011, 03:54 AM
We need more liberty in KY!

BamaAla
04-24-2011, 03:55 AM
What state is that??

I believe he is a Sooner.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 04:10 AM
What state is that??

:D Listen to 'Bama. There's only one Tulsa.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 04:17 AM
This links to a really long thread. But the decision you're trying to make is not one to make lightly. Besides, I remember it being a pretty decent read:

Why? Because Tulsa's photo ops aren't all on that route, that's why.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/acptulsa/LIBERTYRIDER024.jpg

Texan4Life
04-24-2011, 04:34 AM
What do you do for a living? that might help us help you with state/areas.

I say TX we need more liberty minded folks. We're going down the drain with all the libs from commie states moving here following jobs and cheaper housing.

Vessol
04-24-2011, 04:56 AM
I've heard good things about Austin, Texas from many people(including forum members here)

Austrian Econ Disciple
04-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Put a heater in your house - voila every State is warm. If you want liberty, then it be in NH. If you want warmth, then it be Hawaii or Florida. If you want both -- well you are asking for too much.

nobody's_hero
04-24-2011, 07:04 AM
. . . and cops will pretty much leave you alone.

They have cops?

My mother lived in S.C. near Florence and outside the city limits, I don't recall ever once seeing law enforcement during any of my visits to her house.

If you don't mind dirt roads and slower internet, I'd say South Carolina.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 07:07 AM
If you want both -- well you are asking for too much.

Au contraire. Did I mention how nice it is to be a thousand five hundred miles from any serious concentration of Massholes?

specsaregood
04-24-2011, 08:20 AM
I am looking at AZ, NM, & TX because I don't like living in snow & I don't want to be outside of driving distance from San Diego =)

No other place in the country (outside maybe HI) is gonna have weather as nice as SD. It's been near to 20 years since I lived there and I've lived in 6 other states and a foreign carib country since I left. And I still think fondly about the weather in San Diego. If you are prepared to leave it, don't use weather as an important criterion for a new location because they all fail by comparison.

james1906
04-24-2011, 09:08 AM
If my g/f & I wanted to move to a south western state for the sake of greater liberty and cheaper housing (currently in San Diego) where should we look?

How does New Mexico, AZ, Texas, compare to each other in terms of liberty and housing costs?

What do you do for a living? The counties outside of Clark County in Nevada might be worth considering.

goldencane
04-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Of those states you listed I think Texas is easily the most libertarian. First of all, it has a small government and some of the lowest taxes. Texas also has a lot less regulations on personal freedom compared to other states (Although there still is no gambling). In addition, Texas is one of the best places for jobs and to start a business. It was one of the least effected states by the recession.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Of those states you listed I think Texas...

:D Yeah, Texass, sure...

Hope you're not mad at me for letting the secret out of the bag. I wouldn't have if it had been anyone else... ;)

speciallyblend
04-24-2011, 10:39 AM
four corners area of southern colorado,northern new mexico! weather is great beginning to think colorado is a country:)

cheapseats
04-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Au contraire. Did I mention how nice it is to be a thousand five hundred miles from any serious concentration of Massholes?

Between ALTUS, VANCE & TINKER, certainly the United States Air Force is a big fan of Oklahoma.

Do you feel safer or more vulnerable, with "GLOBAL AIR SUPREMACY" in your state?

pcosmar
04-24-2011, 10:52 AM
I would not look for "states" as much as communities, counties and areas

There are still small pockets all across the country, even in the worst states. (except NJ maybe);)

goldencane
04-24-2011, 10:55 AM
:D Yeah, Texass, sure...

Hope you're not mad at me for letting the secret out of the bag. I wouldn't have if it had been anyone else... ;)

Haha, of course not! I actually love both Texas and Oklahoma, and I must admit I think Texas is slightly more libertarian than Oklahoma, but not by a whole lot. That being said, Tulsa is still the best place in the region to live! For those seriously considering moving, take a hard look at Tulsa. Other than some crappy roads, it is a great place to live that offers everything a large city does while keeping its small town feel.

cheapseats
04-24-2011, 10:56 AM

acptulsa gallantly drove me to see an RV park in Missouri: THIRTY-NINE acres with annual property tax of $400-something.

In dramatic contrast, a five-acre RV park in New Hampshire had annual property tax of FOUR-THOUSAND-SOMETHING.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Liberty for the sake of liberty is no better than slavery. In order for my nation to have created a more perfect government, with this being the "necessary tyranny" we established to rule over ourselves, our Founders first had to rightfully and justly divorce us out from under the former tyranny. So, as The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land, The Declaration of Independence is the Supreme ideal. As the U.S. Constitution is the goal of the apple in the tree, the Declaration of Independence is the blue sky, the philosophy, we have to aim for to acheive it.
Here recently, in contempt of the people's Civil Purpose, legal precedence has been darkening our sky.
In becoming a free citizen, I was not politically manipulated in any way. To the contrary, according to His Words, it was the Truth that set me free. That means I need do nothing more politically than arrive at the Truth within me. Judge not lest you be judged. Keep your authority seated and hidden beneath the national dinner table by legislating, adminstering, and judging as little as possible.

goldencane
04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh, and when it comes to cold states, CO is better than NH ;)

Fredom101
04-24-2011, 11:01 AM

I'm also in San Diego, and spent a few months in Austin last year. Other than the costs, especially the gov't stuff like registering your car, I really don't think Texas is any more free than CA. And Arizona may even be worse. I haven't lived there but one of my libertarian friends has, and it sounds like a police state to me, not many liberty-minded folks out there.

If you can afford it, San Diego is still the best option imo.

cheapseats
04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm also in San Diego, and spent a few months in Austin last year. Other than the costs, especially the gov't stuff like registering your car, I really don't think Texas is any more free than CA. And Arizona may even be worse. I haven't lived there but one of my libertarian friends has, and it sounds like a police state to me, not many liberty-minded folks out there.

If you can afford it, San Diego is still the best option imo.

AUSTIN is to Texas as SANTA MONICA is to California.

Anti Federalist
04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
acptulsa gallantly drove me to see an RV park in Missouri: THIRTY-NINE acres with annual property tax of $400-something.

In dramatic contrast, a five-acre RV park in New Hampshire had annual property tax of FOUR-THOUSAND-SOMETHING.

Property taxes in NH vary wildly from town to town.

I just did my inlaws taxes, they have a 1300 square foot tract home home outside of Dallas on a postage stamp lot and pay more in property/school taxes than I do on 12 acres and a 3000 square foot cape.

And they pay sales taxes.

But actually what the hell am I doing: you're right, NH is a horrible place, I can't wait to leave, stay away at all costs, horrible winters, brutal summers, bugs and mosquitoes everywhere, it's hell I tell you, everybody, stay away!!!

Fredom101
04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
No other place in the country (outside maybe HI) is gonna have weather as nice as SD. It's been near to 20 years since I lived there and I've lived in 6 other states and a foreign carib country since I left. And I still think fondly about the weather in San Diego. If you are prepared to leave it, don't use weather as an important criterion for a new location because they all fail by comparison.

I don't understand why weather should not be an important decision in where you want to live. As much as we all want the country to be free, we also have to consider our own desires. Sacrificing your wants for the group is not what we libertarians are all about. I say if people love warm weather they should not move to NH to sacrifice this thing that gives them happiness for something that may or may not be effective. It should be their choice, and the more people in the FSP keep saying to stop being a weather wimp, the worse the FSP sounds.

Fredom101
04-24-2011, 11:11 AM
AUSTIN is to Texas as SANTA MONICA is to California.

I disagree.
Santa Monica is basically a small part of LA where parking tickets and liberal thinking is the way.
Austin is a large city, where there is a lot of diversity of opinion.
There is a big difference.

cheapseats
04-24-2011, 11:11 AM
But actually what the hell am I doing: you're right, NH is a horrible place, I can't wait to leave, stay away at all costs, horrible winters, brutal summers, bugs and mosquitoes everywhere, it's hell I tell you, everybody, stay away!!!

LOL, my sentiments about Jefferson State. Don't come unless you're willing to die to make it happen.

cheapseats
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
I disagree.
Santa Monica is basically a small part of LA where parking tickets and liberal thinking is the way.
Austin is a large city, where there is a lot of diversity of opinion.
There is a big difference.

If there's one thing Santa Monica has got in spades, it's DIVERSITY.

Santa Monica, Malibu, Santa Barbara AND AUSTIN are chock-full of Limousine Liberals.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Property taxes in NH vary wildly from town to town.

I just did my inlaws taxes, they have a 1300 square foot tract home home outside of Dallas on a postage stamp lot and pay more in property/school taxes than I do on 12 acres and a 3000 square foot cape.

And they pay sales taxes.

When having to make a decision between leaving behind Communism in New Hamshire or driving up ahead into a mile wide twister in Oklahoma, always choose to spin around in the tornado.

LibertyEagle
04-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Not Texas. We have Governor "goodhair" Perry. Not to mention police, where I live anyway, who take advantage of every handout from Homeland Security that is offered, to put in place some draconian measure. We have cameras all over the place and a police force who believes it is fine and dandy to forcibly take someone's blood if they think they have been drinking. Oh, and our police like to arrest 11 year olds for wearing perfume in school. No, I am not kidding.

Anti Federalist
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
LOL, my sentiments about Jefferson State. Don't come unless you're willing to die to make it happen.

RoFl

Anti Federalist
04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Not Texas. We have Governor "goodhair" Perry. Not to mention police, where I live anyway, who take advantage of every handout from Homeland Security that is offered, to put in place some draconian measure. We have cameras all over the place and a police force who believes it is fine and dandy to forcibly take someone's blood if they think they have been drinking. Oh, and our police like to arrest 11 year olds for wearing perfume in school. No, I am not kidding.

Yeah, I recall that story.

I just got back from Texas and it was disturbing the number and coverage of surveillance cameras all over.

LibertyEagle
04-24-2011, 11:24 AM

The kind of conservatives who, no matter how neoconnish, won't tell you to your face your libertarianism is wrong because their pioneer grandparents taught them too well, and they know in their hearts we aren't wrong.

Oh, we have snow. Sometimes it lasts a whole week before it melts. And, indeed, we see more weather in your average April than San Diego sees in a decade. And it isn't perfect, by any means. Gets a little theocratic. You'd be surprised what you can't do on Sunday. And the liquor stores are closed by law on election day until after the polls close, believe it or not. Old fashioned is a two edged sword. But here, the American Tradition is not dead.

Next time you fly over flyover country, grab a parachute and say howdy! Because no state in the Union will make you feel more welcome.

That's a good description. :)

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Do you feel safer or more vulnerable, with "GLOBAL AIR SUPREMACY" in your state?

Traditionally, more vulnerable, though less so since the Cold War ended. One does have to spend a long time within the borders of the mainland to reach us, after all. And you forgot the nice, big bomb plant in McAlester.

Truth be known, though, we were fairly high on the Soviet list not because of these things but because we're a communications hub.

Other than some crappy roads, it is a great place to live that offers everything a large city does while keeping its small town feel.

A city of half a million, with all the advantages that conveys, and yet you see kids playing in the street all the time. And you can trust your neighbors to help you keep an eye on them.

A strong dash of old fashioned is good. A cosmopolitan city and a real community all at once...

dejavu22
04-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Arizona has good possibilities in the future and more people of the liberty minded persuasion cannot hurt.

Had speeding cameras thanks to big sister and actually got rid of them. Actively talking about nullification. Despite one of the tightest votes i have ever seen medical marijuana passed. Also Jon Kyl is retiring and John McCain is probably going to be too old next time for another term. And in a very republican state if we can get liberty minded reps in here they could be in for decades (or at least long enough to get term limits implemented). Remember this is the state that kept Barry Goldwater in office until he retired for McCain to take over.

Beyond that imo Phoenix has the nicest weather in the country once you are used to it. Rains like 6days a year but when it does it floods. Palo Verde nuclear generating station provides plenty of power that there are none of those rolling blackout things. DUI laws are horrible and Sheriff Joe could hang people at Suns games and he would probably still be reelected. Also the reason i don't live in phoenix anymore is that they were hit very hard in the recession so i moved to Orlando to find a job. But if the offer were right i would go back in a second.

cheapseats
04-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Liberty for the sake of liberty is no better than slavery.

'Specially when ya spend all yer "free" time fighting for Liberty.

In order for my nation to have created a more perfect government, with this being the "necessary tyranny" we established to rule over ourselves, our Founders first had to rightfully and justly divorce us out from under the former tyranny.

I believe Jefferson State is doable at this crossroads. What're they gonna do, after applauding Arab Commoners who put their lives on the line for Liberty and Justice, SEND TROOPS? Cluster bomb us, like in Libya? Blockade us into Palestinian poverty? WHAT? Absolutely everything is spread thinner than ever . . . EXCEPT THE EGG ON THEIR FACES, should they try to forcibly squelch what is an ideologically sound and economically viable Jefferson State, IF STATE SOVEREIGNTY IS DEMANDED BY A MAJORITY OF THE INHABITANTS WITHIN ITS BOUNDARIES.

If Necessity is the mother of Invention, EXPERIMENTATION is the nuts and bolts of innovating.

It has grown fashionable to define Insanity as DOING THE SAME THING EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS.

At the very least, a 51st state will provide economic stimulus under the guise of new flags. You'd be surprised how many U.S. flags are TATTERED.

Howz this for a slogan: WOULD YOU RATHER ADMIT JEFFERSON STATE OR PUERTO RICO INTO THE UNION?

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Come on, RPH. I know you're lurking on this thread. You got to SW Mo. and pronounced it outstanding, declared AZ and OK the two liberty champions, got major neighborly support in NV, and moved to beautiful, enchanting New Mexico. Got a preference? Or is the whole stretch too good to admit of a simple preference?

heavenlyboy34
04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm from Arizona, in Maricopa County (where Phoenix is).

The gun laws here are as good as anywhere. Don't need a permit for concealed carry. And I suspect gun ownership rate is really high.

Housing here is ridiculously cheap right now, as long as you aren't moving to like Scottsdale or Paradise Valley.

Worst DUI laws in the country. I don't have one but pretty much everyone I know does, and the penalties are a big revenue generator for the state. There's a lot of speed and red light cameras generating revenue for the state as well.

Taxes are probably middle of the road. Sales tax is ~10% now, as the Republican governor and hordes of public workers pushed through a 1% sales tax recently. State income tax isn't very high.

The Republican congress is pretty good though. My main problem with them is that immigration takes precedence over everything. For instance, they introduced a new bill recently (not SB1070, a different one) that would completely cut off all public benefits for illegal immigrants, which I think is a great thing in that it would cut the state dramatically. The problem is that the bill would give police more power in questioning people, on top of the fact that there already is a law affecting business negatively which makes all the employers use E-Verify.

Some good ballot propositions passed recently as well. Medical marijuana, anti-Obamacare, right of secret ballots for unions, and ending affirmative action.

Pinal County (Tucson area) is a lot more statist. I wouldn't want to go there.

All in all, I'd say the police state is average at best, but economically the state is pretty good.

As a Phoenician, I agree with that^^. I would add that the summers here are among the hottest in the world. :eek: Also, if you have allergies, you'll suffer quite a bit here. People used to come here to get away from allergies, but dumbasses from back east have for the last few decades been trying to grow non-native plants and grasses, which pollute the air. :P Dust is a big problem in the southern half of the state if you have dust allergies. I wish I could live up north in Prescott, Flagstaff, etc. :( If you like snow, you can move up north and enjoy it there.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 01:25 PM
I wish I could live up north in Prescott, Flagstaff, etc.

Yeah, Oklahoma is no place for those deathly allergic to pollen. And the Prescott area is one of the most beautiful I know. Right up there with Colorado and large portions of New Mexico for scenic excellence.

Texan4Life
04-24-2011, 01:31 PM

+1 the various police forces are WAY overfunded. there is not a day I don't see multiple cop cars, SUVS, speed camera trailers. And red light cameras are popping up exponentially. we didnt have this 10 years ago. And this is outside the main cities.

NiceGoing
04-24-2011, 01:55 PM
As a Phoenician, I agree with that^^. I would add that the summers here are among the hottest in the world. :eek: Also, if you have allergies, you'll suffer quite a bit here. People used to come here to get away from allergies, but dumbasses from back east have for the last few decades been trying to grow non-native plants and grasses, which pollute the air. :P Dust is a big problem in the southern half of the state if you have dust allergies. I wish I could live up north in Prescott, Flagstaff, etc. :( If you like snow, you can move up north and enjoy it there.

+1000

libertybrewcity
04-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Hit up Nevada. You have Las Vegas for fun. Mountains to the west for snowboarding in the winter. Cheap electricity from the Hoover Dam. Cheap housing. Early caucus state in 2012. What more could you possibly want?

BamaAla
04-24-2011, 03:04 PM

There are still small pockets all across the country, even in the worst states. (except NJ maybe);)

That's a good bit of advice.

Alabama is never going to pass for the most "libertarian" state and we have brutal weather, but we have it pretty good. Add to that, I live inside the town limits of a place with a population of 491 (2000 census) and it looks pretty good. I don't know if OP is in any position to move to a rural area, but when you know almost every single person in your community on a personal level, you have to the ability to buy everything you eat grown within 4 or 5 miles of your house, all of the police are people you knew growing up, and you can still go outside and piss on a tree when you get the urge, it makes everything a little easier.

As I understand it, the U.P. is a good place to live as well.

Johnnymac
04-24-2011, 04:34 PM

This ^ :D

even though i live in myassachusetts i would gladly move to NH if i had the fiat money

TruckinMike
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
In Texas --- 2 bedroom 2 bath shack on 10 acres costs me $3600 a year in property taxes - it was $5200 before I hired "the man" . This is why Debra Medina is trying to get rid of all property taxes and restore private property ownership in Texas.

Wouldn't that be nice --------------- slap ..slap.. cold water, time to wake up --- Oh sorry, I just dosed off there for a bit, doing a little dreaming.:D

randolphfuller
04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Texas, anywhere in the Rio Grande Valley.

Freedom 4 all
04-24-2011, 06:45 PM

Here's something I always wondered about. I know there are a lot of "dry counties" especially in the South. If I were to live there but like twice a year or so drive up to the nearest "non-dry" county and fill my trunk with a shit-ton of whiskey and stockpile it in my house, could I get in shit for that?

specialK
04-24-2011, 06:59 PM
four corners area of southern colorado,northern new mexico! weather is great beginning to think colorado is a country:)

Are you serious? My sister has lived there for about 20 years and says they get two frost free months per year and lots of snow.

Acala
04-24-2011, 08:10 PM

What state we talking about here?

Acala
04-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I live in Arizona and like it a lot. If you decide to move here and want help getting settled, let me know.

pcosmar
04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Here's something I always wondered about. I know there are a lot of "dry counties" especially in the South. If I were to live there but like twice a year or so drive up to the nearest "non-dry" county and fill my trunk with a shit-ton of whiskey and stockpile it in my house, could I get in shit for that?

Most "Dry counties" are that way by the choice of folks that live there. It just isn't sold there, but you can buy it in the next county and take it home.
There is a small town not far from me like that. No booze is sold in any of the stores there.
Down the road a bit there is.

muzzled dogg
04-24-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't appreciate the Massachusetts bashing in this thread

heavenlyboy34
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM

lulz :) don't take it personally, bro. :cool:

low preference guy
04-24-2011, 09:30 PM

Haha.

shemdogg
Senior Moderator

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 09:31 PM
What state we talking about here?

Only one Tulsa. Google it. Or, can you take a hint?

OK, I'll leave Bassachusetts alone. Er, um... You know what I mean.

Andrew-Austin
04-24-2011, 09:51 PM
With the rate I keep bumping in to people who moved to Texas from California (or NY), Texas will be the next California. They are fleeing from a sucked-dry dead host to a living one it seems.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeh. I need to learn to keep a secret, don't I?

Vessol
04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
With the rate I keep bumping in to people who moved to Texas from California (or NY), Texas will be the next California. They are fleeing from a sucked-dry dead host to a living one it seems.

When I lived in Montana, all the people that moved there were from California. The same goes now for North Carolina.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Hope the last one out turns out the lights.

Anti Federalist
04-24-2011, 10:13 PM

That's what these miserable statist pricks do.

Like locusts, they descend into a new state (host) devour everything in sight, build a massive overburden of government and regulation, then, when the host starts to die, fly off, en masse, to fuck up some other place.

Which is why, as hard as it would be to pass legal muster, I am all in favor of a five, or maybe longer, year voting or election moratorium for all newcomers into a state.

If the fed constitution can demand that you be certain age and a natural born citizen (hahahaha) and have been a resident for so many years before running for office, I don't see why a state constitution cannot do the same thing.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Like locusts, they descend into a new state (host) devour everything in sight, build a massive overburden of government and regulation, then, when the host starts to die, fly off, en masse, to fuck up some other place.

Anyone ever tell you you're brilliant?

The answer is obvious. Let's go take over California!

Vessol
04-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Anyone ever tell you you're brilliant?

The answer is obvious. Let's go take over California!

I can't help but wonder if you were able to write that post with a straight face.

Anti Federalist
04-24-2011, 10:22 PM
I can't help but wonder if you were able to write that post with a straight face.

I suspect there was more than a little Rofling going on.

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 10:25 PM

Easy to be a straight man on the web. Bud Abbott couldn't do better.