PDA

View Full Version : CBS: With debate approaching, GOP picture remains blurry

sailingaway
04-23-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/i/tim/2011/04/22/New-2012_1_620x350.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20056584-503544.html

low preference guy
04-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Will Ron and Trump dominate the debates?

Indy Vidual
04-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Ron Paul: A Paul advisor told CBS News the Texas congressman will meet the requirements to be at the South Carolina debate, so expect him to file the necessary paperwork this week. :D

Legend1104
04-23-2011, 10:36 PM
That was a pretty fair article. It did not bash any candidate and was pretty neutral, but it does raise a good point. Makes you wonder what a lot of these candidates hope to achieve by waiting. I understand some have to wait, but most are just waiting. I guess that is good for Dr. Paul becuase he will be one of the most well known (and best candidate) appearing on stage. His only major challenge may be Newt which hopefully will help him garner some early support and give him a lot more face time since there may only be 5 or 6 attending.

sailingaway
04-23-2011, 10:38 PM
They don't mention that last time the cycle started really early because the primaries had been moved way up in a bunch of states. This time states are canceling primaries to save money and having caucuses, and California instead of moving forward moved ours BACK to June so it will be the same time as statewide elections, to save money. Last time people were worn out and drained of money, and they don't want that to happen again, I think.

fisharmor
04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Maybe it's as simple as the fact that Ghouliani dumped a cargo ship full of money into his campaign, and ended up with bupkis... and nobody else wants to repeat that performance.

torchbearer
04-23-2011, 10:45 PM
caucus puts the nomination in our favor. we have to out bus the romney bots and we can pull enough delegates to have a very interesting rnc.

cubical
04-23-2011, 10:52 PM
While looking at these guys the GOP is putting up, I wonder... if Ron Paul never made it to congress would I still be an unaware neo-con? I hope not, but I just don't know. I look at these candidates and I just hate the idea that they are representing the party I am loosely affiliated with. I often tell friends I will vote democrat until the GOP gets someone worth electing and I am serious about it. It's like going to buy a car knowing you only have two choices, but when you get there realize both cars are Geo Metros with different shades of green.

Was this the right thread for this? Oh well.

Legend1104
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
While looking at these guys the GOP is putting up, I wonder... if Ron Paul never made it to congress would I still be an unaware neo-con? I hope not, but I just don't know. I look at these candidates and I just hate the idea that they are representing the party I am loosely affiliated with. I often tell friends I will vote democrat until the GOP gets someone worth electing and I am serious about it. It's like going to buy a car knowing you only have two choices, but when you get there realize both cars are Geo Metros with different shades of green.

Was this the right thread for this? Oh well.

In a way I know what you mean. I now feel a little uneasy when I have to even say that I am a Republican because it stands for their version of a Republican. I usually have to go out of the way to say that I am a registered Republican but I am a libertarian.

rp08orbust
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
caucus puts the nomination in our favor. we have to out bus the romney bots and we can pull enough delegates to have a very interesting rnc.

True, though I wonder to what extent the cancellation of the primaries will lead to greater participation in the caucuses, thereby making them more challenging than usual.

Anti Federalist
04-23-2011, 11:16 PM
In a way I know what you mean. I now feel a little uneasy when I have to even say that I am a Republican because it stands for their version of a Republican. I usually have to go out of the way to say that I am a registered Republican but I am a libertarian.

Solve that problem by saying:

"I'm a Ron Paul Republican".

Wren
04-23-2011, 11:18 PM
or you could call yourself a "Ron Paulblican"

Aratus
04-24-2011, 09:17 AM
its onto the caucuses we must go???
especially if primaries are expensive?

acptulsa
04-24-2011, 09:46 AM
I threw this in. Wonder if they'll pull it or just bury it?

There really are photos of Ron Paul smiling. Catch the former OB/GYN in a group of children and you'll see a heartfelt, ear-to-ear grin which is quite engaging. I can't believe a news organization as reputable as CBS would show all but one or two candidates smiling, and the other one or two frowning on purpose. That would be unbalanced coverage. But at the same time, I'm at a loss to explain how an organization with the resources of the Columbian Broadcasting System can't find one of the many photos of him smiling.

It's a conundrum. But, hey. I can help you out with this. Just let me know.

Bruno
04-24-2011, 10:07 AM

There really are photos of Ron Paul smiling. Catch the former OB/GYN in a group of children and you'll see a heartfelt, ear-to-ear grin which is quite engaging. I can't believe a news organization as reputable as CBS would show all but one or two candidates smiling, and the other one or two frowning on purpose. That would be unbalanced coverage. But at the same time, I'm at a loss to explain how an organization with the resources of the Columbian Broadcasting System can't find one of the many photos of him smiling.

I'm sure it's just an honest oversight. :rolleyes:

speciallyblend
04-24-2011, 10:16 AM

in Colorado i make it simple to people outside the gop. I just say i am a Ron Paul republican not a bushy warmonger!! Then i ask how they feel about 12 yrs of bush policy and do you want 16? that gets most thinking!!

making the argument with all voters, i ask who in the GOP running has the credibility to bring our troops home after 12 yrs of obama/bush dynasty??? the only names i can come up with in the GOP are Ron Paul,Gary Johnson. If the rest of the GOP candidates actually tried to put bring our troops home next to their name it would be a sat night live skit!! this is why i fear the GOP will elect obama!! Ron Paul 2012 Credibility

Sola_Fide
04-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Actually, the picture of Newt is worse than Ron's. Newt looks like the spawn of Satan, while Ron looks a little less menacing...

Matt Collins
04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Ron Paul: A Paul advisor told CBS News the Texas congressman will meet the requirements to be at the South Carolina debate, so expect him to file the necessary paperwork this week. :DHe is scheduled to be on TV 6 times this Monday!

Matt Collins
04-24-2011, 11:01 AM
That was a pretty fair article. It did not bash any candidate and was pretty neutral, but it does raise a good point. Makes you wonder what a lot of these candidates hope to achieve by waiting. I understand some have to wait, but most are just waiting. I guess that is good for Dr. Paul becuase he will be one of the most well known (and best candidate) appearing on stage. His only major challenge may be Newt which hopefully will help him garner some early support and give him a lot more face time since there may only be 5 or 6 attending.
LowPrefGuy showed me an opinion piece where an observer thinks that the RNC/GOP has conceded the 2012 Presidential election this time around and is focusing on the Senate while the Prez race "goes to the dogs". Once they get the Senate Republican again this time, in 2016 they will go after a Republican White House

Brett85
04-24-2011, 02:02 PM
I often tell friends I will vote democrat until the GOP gets someone worth electing and I am serious about it.

Shouldn't you wait until the Democrats get someone worth electing before you vote for them? I can understand the frustration with the current Republican Party, but how any libertarian can vote for the Democrats is beyond me.