PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I Sue The State When If Wild Animal Attacks Me?

TexanRudeBoy
04-23-2011, 02:37 PM
The idea behind hunting and fishing licensing is that the state owns the wildlife right? If I go onto public lands and harm a deer the state can punish me, however if I go onto public lands and a deer harms me why can I not sue the state?

Seraphim
04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Shut your logical mouth, mundane.

Icymudpuppy
04-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Not in my state. Hunting and Fishing licenses aren't about ownership, but about management. Our state Dept of Fish and Wildlife does not get general fund monies. It only gets revenue from voluntary purchases of licenses, tags, wildland parking permits, personalized and specialty license plates, and a few other voluntary sources.

The dept was set up BY hunters and fishermen to manage the populations of wildlife species to provide for better hunting, fishing, and viewing opportunities.

I consider it similar to if a group of hunters join a hunting club and purchase the rights to hunt and fish a bunch of land. Anybody who takes the class, then pays the annual membership dues can hunt on the property. Non-members have to pay a one-time fee (fine) for harvesting on club land, and if they do it too much, they may be barred from ever joining the club, or even jailed for trespassing. The difference is that the State has collectively made all the land in the state subject to membership rules. The wildlife isn't owned by the state, but the land is part of their hunting club. If you get hurt by a deer in the woods, you can sue the deer.

Expatriate
04-23-2011, 02:52 PM
If you can sue a zoo over an animal attack, you should be able to sue the state, right?

Apparently the Utah Supreme Court agrees in a way.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50737680-76/state-court-bear-family.html.csp

Agorism
04-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Just what we need more frivolous law suits.

ItsTime
04-23-2011, 03:02 PM
You can barely sue the state for anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immunity_in_the_United_States

After all you are the serf and they are the masters.