PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo the Scum of the Web!

acptulsa
04-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Once upon a time I set up a Yahoo email account. I've made bigger mistakes in my life, but not often.

Now it is sending spam to people in my name. So, I said enough of this. It was a handy spambox to use when I wanted to participate in a poll but didn't want to deal with the spam. Since any Yahoo account will be full of spam soon enough anyway, I figured it didn't matter. Now I discover it not only attracts the stuff like a spam magnet, but it uses your account to cover the spammers. Yahoo is now responsible for more spam than Armour Foods--and the latter has been generating spam since before I was born.

So, once again I set off in vain to find a way to close the account, or contact someone who can close the account. All I found besides an electronic runaround system is an official message that they know all about it and we should all change our passwords and update our firewalls. This in spite of the fact that this all came about during a period when I had not been in contact with my spam box Yahoo account for months and months and my current computer had not been in contact with it at all (and had no record whatsoever of that password).

And I am not allowed to close the offending account, at least not by navigating any logical responses offered by the actual Yahoo software.

Does anyone know how to get the Yahoo Albatros off one's neck? Or do we poor fools need to set up a class action lawsuit to get these accounts closed?

acptulsa
04-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Got it figured out. And for those who have similar problems, or go and discover similar problems, here is the Secret Spot:

help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/my/registration/edit-23.html

acptulsa
04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
If you have a yahoo mailbox, whether you still use it or not, I strongly recommend you check the 'outgoing mail' section immediately. You may be pissing off people you care about and not even know it.

acptulsa
04-23-2011, 01:28 PM
And if you close that mailbox using the link above, completely disregard their snarky attempt to convince you the problem is your own firewall, not their server. My account began 'laundering spam' during a period when the account was completely untouched and I had no computer at all at home. I don't know where they get off even trying to intimate that this problem belongs anywhere but in their lap.

As for you, Yahoo, if you don't want me excoriating you publicly then learn to provide a proper avenue of contact for the public so I can give you the excoriating you richly deserve in private.

tangent4ronpaul
04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Odd - just checked. I have no spam in my inbox, an empty sent mail spool and 38 messages in the spam folder, only 2 of which are actually spam.

Did you post your yahoo e-mail address on the internet somewhere? - that would do it....

I do, however have over 109,000 unread messages in the mail spool. 99.95% of them are from RP meetup groups.

acptulsa
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Did you post your yahoo e-mail address on the internet somewhere? - that would do it....

Just when registering for polls and such. And I hadn't used that password there for an extended period of time.