PDA

View Full Version : Could Ron skip forming an Exploratory Committee?

Lbcpunk
04-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure how the whole thing works, but it seems that instead of forming an official exploratory committee, Ron set up a more low-key "testing the waters" account.

I'm wondering how great that would be if Ron got a jump on everyone else and launched an official Presidential run next week.

UtahApocalypse
04-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Would not meet the FOX Requirements to be in the debate so its not gonna happen.

Lbcpunk
04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Would not meet the FOX Requirements to be in the debate so its not gonna happen.

The criteria for the debate is as follows:

Must register a presidential exploratory committee or have announced a formal campaign for president; and
Must file all necessary paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC); and
Must file all necessary paperwork with the South Carolina Republican Party; and
Must have paid all federal and South Carolina filing fees; and
Must meet all U.S. Constitutional requirements; and
Must have garnered at least an average of one percent in five national polls based on most recent polling leading up to April 29th, 2011

tsai3904
04-22-2011, 04:48 PM
The requirement to participate in the May 5 debate is:

Must register a presidential exploratory committee or have announced a formal campaign for president

So if Ron Paul did skip the exploratory committee and officially announced like Gary Johnson, he would still be eligible to participate.

Lbcpunk
04-22-2011, 04:52 PM
So if Ron Paul did skip the exploratory committee and officially announced like Gary Johnson, he would still be eligible to participate.

The suspense is killing me!

Matt Collins
04-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Has the 1st quarter reports been published on the FEC website yet? I think it might have some interesting things there.

low preference guy
04-22-2011, 04:55 PM
He could, but he won't.

Lbcpunk
04-22-2011, 04:57 PM
He could, but he won't.

Why is that?

low preference guy
04-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Why is that?

He said he'd announce by mid May, which means he will have to form an exploratory committee for May 5.

I think he does it for strategic reasons. I believe reporters are more positive when they don't know you're running for President. Once he announces, he will be seen as an enemy by many in the media.

The date of the announcement if part of the strategy to win the Presidency. There could multiple factors that influence that decision that we are not aware of.

specsaregood
04-22-2011, 05:29 PM
The date of the announcement if part of the strategy to win the Presidency. There could multiple factors that influence that decision that we are not aware of.

None of the other frontrunners have officially announced. So why should Dr. Paul announce now and be part of the low-tier crowd when he is now a top-tier contender.

Lbcpunk
04-22-2011, 06:21 PM
I think he does it for strategic reasons. I believe reporters are more positive when they don't know you're running for President. Once he announces, he will be seen as an enemy by many in the media.

I didn't think about it like that, that is a good point. For some reason, it sounded like it would be a good idea for him to announce as soon as possible before other candidates do.

trey4sports
04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Could he? yes

Will he? No

My gut is telling me that he is going to announce his exp. committee the 25th and get the free media bump from that and then announce a month or two afterword to get the free media coverage from that. If he skips the exp. committee he wont be maximizing all the free coverage available to him.

Lbcpunk
04-22-2011, 06:40 PM
My gut is telling me that he is going to announce his exp. committee the 25th and get the free media bump from that and then announce a month or two afterword to get the free media coverage from that. If he skips the exp. committee he wont be maximizing all the free coverage available to him.

Makes sense. Personally, I'd rather have free media coverage stating that I was officially running, rather than stating that I was forming a committee to test whether I run or not.

libertybrewcity
04-22-2011, 09:21 PM
It would give him a couple articles in media at least and probably even some television interviews. I don't see why he would skip an exploratory committee.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 10:16 PM
He is getting media now for the buzz and 'suspense', and will be on Monday for his book. He might say Monday that he will form an exploratory committee (we all know he has to by May 5) but why should he use the book media opportunity to announce he's running when he would get a whole separate run of media for that?