PDA

View Full Version : House to stay in session longer...

Bradley in DC
10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/votes-deep-into-december-2007-10-26.html

Votes deep into December
By Jackie Kucinich
October 26, 2007
House members hoping to spend quality time with their families during the holiday season got some bad news this week: they may be in Washington days before both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

In an e-mail sent by a House Democrat and obtained by The Hill, the new House schedule calls for votes potentially through Nov. 17, the Saturday before Thanksgiving. The lower chamber will then reconvene on Dec. 4, with leadership hoping that Dec. 11 will be the last week of the session.

However, the e-mail notes that “there is a chance the House would reconvene the following week, Dec. 18-20 to complete its business.”
According to their initial schedule, the House was going to finish up business on Friday though few took that date seriously as leadership officials of both political parties and chambers regularly schedule early adjournment targets that they rarely hit.

In September, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) moved the adjournment date back to Nov. 16.

During a colloquy with House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) on the floor Thursday, Hoyer acknowledged that members would be in town in December, but said he hopes to wrap up its work the first week of the month. He said he has advised members to keep their calendars open for the following week of Tuesday, Dec. 11 and did not discuss the possibility of votes during the following week.

Hoyer however, indirectly addressed a later adjournment: “As you know,” he told Blunt, “we need to make contingency plans.”

The majority leader said that there will be no votes during Mondays and Fridays in December, adding that no legislation will be “initiated” after Nov. 16. Instead, votes after that date will solely be on appropriations measures and conference reports, Hoyer added.

Hoyer spokeswoman Stacey Bernards said the e-mail obtained by The Hill “did not come from this office. Therefore, it is not the House’s official schedule.”

The e-mail states that the House will return from winter recess on Jan. 15, 2008, which is consistent with Hoyer’s remarks on the floor Thursday.

For the more immediate future the “House plans to leave Friday, Nov. 16,” according to the e-mail. “However, an appropriations ‘glitch’ could move that to Saturday November 17.”

At press time, it was unclear what “glitch” the e-mail is referring to.

The House will not be in session the week after Thanksgiving.

A spokesman for Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) declined to comment on the e-mail or the schedule.

A House Republican leadership aide used the adjusted schedule to criticize Democrats.

“There’s a corny line about Christmas trees and stockings stuffed with pork in here somewhere, but I think I’ll just say that if we’re here that late it’s not going to be pretty for taxpayers or the economy,” said Brian Kennedy, spokesman for House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio). “Omnibus spending bills and tax hikes never are.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) suggested on Sept. 20 that lawmakers might need to stay until Christmas to finish their must-pass bills.

Republicans and Democrats alike have complained throughout the year about difficulties of the five-day work week, with many pointing out that traveling cuts into vital time with constituents and their families back home.

Asked about the possibility of a December session earlier this year, Pelosi said, “I hope not.”

Some Democrats on the Hill believe the expanded workweek schedule has contributed to the recent retirement announcements by House Republicans.

Pelosi, commenting on a string of House GOP retirements last month, said, “It makes me very happy to see my good and dear friends spending more time with their families. They’ve earned it.”

House Schedule (.PDF)

terlinguatx
10-25-2007, 09:54 PM

Bradley in DC
10-25-2007, 10:02 PM
sounds like a conspiramacy to keep paul in washington and off the campaign trail :)

<Bradley strangles him through the "series of tubes over the internets">

noxagol
10-26-2007, 03:26 AM
Personally, they can take everyday of the year off and I would be the happiest person in the world. I think it is OK for them to collect their salary and not do anything, right now I would be OK for paying them to NOT do anything. Every time they pass a new law, we the people always lose, and we are starting to lose really big, as if we haven't lost real big already.